DIY St. Patrick’s Day Floral Pin

For some reason I can remember what St. Patrick’s Day was like in high school as if it were yesterday. I was an impossibly uptight and nervous student and dreaded most holidays at school because they seemed to come with an accessory or head piece I didn’t want to wear. St. Patrick’s Day came with the whole “if you’re not wearing green, you get pinched” rule, so I would always spend the day shrugging around corners, hoping not to be noticed. I went through something of a Wednesday Addams phase, so the idea of wearing green just didn’t work for me. After a few years of being pinched by everyone and anyone (including my German teacher!), I decided to give in and wear a blinky shamrock pin that seemed to protect me from pinches. So I thought I’d reinterpret that pin in a way that fits my style today — with flowers. Using a mix of berzillia, helleborus and thlaspi, I tied together a quick and easy floral pin that I would be proud to wear around my office building halls any day. No pinching, please. xo, grace

How-to: Layer the thlaspi and berzillia on top of each other and place a single helleborus flower on top. Secure with floral twine and tie a green ribbon around the wire to cover. You can hot-glue a pin to the back of the ribbon or use a straight or stick pin to attach it to your shirt.

1. I love the pin and would proudly wear it too, but am in love with the baubled sweater. Care to share where it’s from? I’m not sure I could pull it off with my knitting abilities.

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi sue

it’s silka’s, i’ll ask her ;)

2. Emer Molloy says:

Such a terrific idea. Much better than trying to source Shamrocks. Even here in Ireland that is hard to do!

3. Sarah says:

That is beautiful! Such a far cry from what comes to my mind when I think about St. Patty’s Day, which is silly college kids drinking beer in excess. Way to keep it classy as usual, Grace!

4. Lex says:

I also love the sweater! Love to know where it’s from.

5. Rani says:

Hi Grace! Love to pin but OBSESSED with the sweater. Please let us know so we can all rush out and buy it! :)

6. MartiMoore says:

I am joining the masses in asking about the sweater!!! So hoping that it is this years and hasn’t sold out!

7. jessica says:

oh so pretty! i need to replicate it wiht false flowers and greenery for my darn allergies but olly this is the bees knees!