DIY Project: Holi-Inspired Posters

As of Wednesday, March 20, it is officially spring, and we couldn’t be more excited about it. Ever since Groundhog Day, we’ve been antsy for more sunlight, more temperate weather and the beginnings of spring blossoms. We’ve each been celebrating spring in different ways over the last few weeks — we threw an Easter Egg decorating party last week, and I attended my first Passover Seder this past weekend — but there is one particular spring holiday that we’ve been absolutely dying to take part in: Holi. Celebrated primarily in India and Nepal, Holi is the Hindu celebration of spring. Although the impetus for Holi is rooted in Hindu tradition and mythology, the festivities involved for this particular holiday are one of the very reasons for its awesomeness. Each spring, Holi celebrators take to the streets for an explosive bout of revelry that involves spraying one another with handfuls of colored pigments and perfume. Easter pays homage to the colors of spring through colored eggs and vibrant jelly beans, but in all honesty, Holi seems to take the cake in terms of color and fun.

Brooklynites might not take kindly to having colored powders thrown at their bodies, so we decided to celebrate both the beginning of spring and the fabulous holiday of Holi with a little DIY art project. After purchasing a few boxes of Holi pigments and playing around with them for a bit, these are the results: a fun, easy-to-make poster that will bring color into your home the whole year round. For full directions, continue after the jump! — Max

Materials

Directions

1. Tape a large sheet of white paper to the floor.

2. Cut open your pigment powders and drop them onto the paper in any manner you’d like. Feel free to play around and make patterns or abstractions.

3. With a digital camera (even a smartphone should suffice), take an aerial photograph of your pigment design. It can help to stand on a chair or step stool to accomplish this.

4. In Photoshop, create a file that is 19.75 inches wide by 27.5 inches tall at 200 dpi. Paste your pigment photograph into this file. Resize the pasted image as necessary to fill the document size. If you want to make the pigments really stand out, bump up the sharpness by several notches.

5. After you’ve pasted your image into the poster file, feel free to add type or graphic embellishments. For our “Let Color In” poster, we used a large-sized italic Bodoni typeface underlined by white rectangles. Easy-peasy!

6. Save your file as a high-quality JPEG, TIFF or PDF.

7. Bring to a printing center like Kinko’s or Staples and print your file at full size (19.75 x 27.5) onto matte paper. This shouldn’t cost more than $20. We paid $7 per print at our local print shop.

8. Frame it! The poster dimensions fit IKEA’s Ribba frame perfectly.

9. BAM! DONE! Holi Art!

Above image: This poster design was accomplished by creating a large white triangle in Photoshop and adding “R,” “G” and “B” to its corners in white Futura Bold.

Above image: The above poster was created by cutting the pigment image out with a hexagon shape in Photoshop.

If you liked any of the poster designs featured in this post and aren’t in a particularly DIY mood, we’re going to be giving away the designs as a download in this Friday’s e-mail newsletter! Not subscribed yet? Click here to do so!

1. mj says:

Great Project! Love it!

2. Emily says:

What a good idea!

3. Elena says:

I think I got the newsletter (from Mar 22?), but I don’t see a link mentioned anywhere about downloading the images. Help!

1. Elena— the images will be available for download in this week’s upcoming email. It will be released on March 29. :)

4. Nicole says:

These are fantastic!

5. Mollie says:

What a smart idea to take photographs of the pigment. Ingenious! I could see this idea be applied to other materials. Love it.

6. kay* says:

I spent 2011 living in Delhi – I arrived just a few days before Holi and so didn’t take part directly but saw it happening around me – such a great celebration….and this project is such great idea and way to have a bit of that Holi spirit – totally doing this!

7. Preeti says:

This is brilliant idea. thanks for the post.

8. Pkae says:

Oh, gosh I was so excited to be able to dnload one of these that I believe I goofed. I think I subscribed to the newsletter which I already receive daily. Could you please remove one of my subscriptions if I in fact did that? Thanks! And I truly enjoyed learning about Holi as well as this pigment/photocopy idea. :-)

9. I love this art idea. Thank you!

10. Jacqueline says:

I love the texture of the pigment powders. This is really a good project for Spring. Bright colors are very trendy this season so this is a good addition to your interior. The texture made the poster look edgy and very unique.

11. Eva says:

I am so excited about the newsletter! This is the first year I celebrate Holi and it was GREAT! Oh and it was in Chicago! I had been looking fwd to this post since I saw your pics on instagram!

12. Chloe says:

I’ve just signed up to the newsletter so I can use the prints! I’m going to try getting a really big print for a huge gold frame I bought in a charity shop. Can’t wait for the newsletter to arrive, hope it’s soon! :)

13. Oh la la! This is a color fest! I really like the color explosion effect going on! Nice!

14. Caitlin Gomez says:

Hi! I’ve been receiving the emails for a while, but I can’t find the downloads on any of the emails in the past few days – did I just miss the link somewhere? Thanks!!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi caitlin

The Holi Posters are at the bottom of the newsletter- just click on the images of the posters to download :)

*Ah- you may not be signed up for our newsletter. That’s something we send ONCE a week. You may be signed up via Feedblitz or Feedburner (not us) to receive daily emails. I’d suggest signing up for ours instead- it’s once a week, contains the week’s full content and won’t have a bunch of annoying ads in it. It also contains new content that won’t be on the website, as well as free downloads like this one.

Grace

15. Gabriela Oliva says:

Hey I’ve been getting the newsletters for a while and got the one on the 29th but I can’t find any links to download the posters… where is it? the only link I’ve got there opens up on the article right here… HELP!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Gabriela

Did you click the three poster images at the bottom of the newsletter? They go to the downloads…

Grace

16. Mia says:

Will you consider having the downloads as part of next week’s newsletter? I signed up yesterday so I didn’t receive the newsletter from the 29th and missed this project :(

1. Grace Bonney says:

Mia

We have giveaways every month for newsletter subscribers, so please stay tuned for more soon.

Grace

17. Glenn says:

Hi,

I also signed up last March 28 and did not get a copy of the newsletter. Is there anyway to resend it to me. I can send you a copy of the confirmation that I got (if needed). Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Glenn- just shoot me an email at designsponge at gmail dot com.

G

18. Emma says:

Fantastic – got this through on my e-mail just after playing Holi in Udaipur this year. India has been on our list for ages of places to go and so we timed the trip specifically for this festival. Even though we used wonderful organic dyes, I am still getting some from under my nails and my travel companion has some very artistic blue and red streaks still in her hair. Was awesome fun!

19. Catherine says:

I’m signed up for the newsletter but didn’t get Fridays! I checked my spam folder and it’s not there. I re-signed up today on my other email address, but it’s too late. Is there any way to get the downloads? I’m a faithful reader :(

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Catherine

We are going to resend it today- let me know if you don’t get it :)

G

20. Mary Smith says:

On the last picture with the hexagon what is that colorful glass thing to the right of the frame? The is the coolest thing I have seen. Did u make it? Thank You!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Mary

It’s a vintage glass sculpture we picked up at John Derian. They have more :) I think originally it was a sample collection from a French glass studio or glass blower.

Grace

21. Arly says:

Why did I not realize I could get Holi powders on Amazon?? Thank you! Question: You say, ” If you want to make the pigments really stand out, bump up the sharpness by several notches.” Do you mean, scan at a higher resolution, say 300 or 600 dpi?

22. Arly says:

Oh, I just went to the Amazon site, and a couple of reviewers said these are not Holi powders, for throwing at people, they are Rangoli powders, for doing chalk pictures on the ground. For this tutorial, it makes no difference, but for others, it could.

23. Shalin says:

Lovely idea inspired by Holi! Love the LET COLOR IN poster! I’m Indian and love the way you have treated this:) I think I’d like one of these in my home:) which is a mix of indian+contemporary design.

24. I love this idea! So pretty and fun! This is something my kids would LOVE to make with me!

25. Nicole says:

What’s the point of buying the powders and making a design with them if you’re just going to take a photo of it and photoshop it? Just drop the powders on a canvas covered with mod podge and use stencils if you want text, that’d be much cooler than a photoshopped photo.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Nicole

The point was to make an image that we personally liked, and this is it.

I actually started with dropping the powders on paper that had been sprayed and covered in adhesive- it looked like a muddy disaster.

Grace

26. cbe says:

Hi all from Sunny Sydney (AUS)
    I have only just signed up but realise I am a month late. Is there any chance anyone could send the newsletter with the link for the Holi powder downloads (to save Grace the trouble)?
    Many thanks in advance

27. Audrey says:

I signed up for the newsletters but a great while too late! Would it be possible to receive the files by e-mail? Thanks.

28. Catherine says:

Much like a lot of others, I came across this too late and signed up too late. Would it be at all possible to get the files? Thanks!

29. Ellie says:

I also signed up for the newsletters too late as well. And would LOVE to be able to get a hold of the files pleaseeee??
    Thanks

30. Maria Andrea Cardenas says:

Hi! Same here! Saw this awesome post just recently! Could you please pretty please email me the files :) gracias!!

31. Daniela says:

Hey. I signed up – but too late. could you also send me the files? I would love that. thanks so much beforehand and best regards from germany!

32. Daniela says:

Ah no, there was a typo in my email address – you can delete this comment but I now put the right email address below – I am so sorry for the inconvenience, thanks so much!

33. Anett says:

Hello Max. Can you send me the files as well? Thanks!

34. Katarina says:

I signed up far too late but I would also love if you could email me the files. A Christmas miracle! Thanks so much!

35. Katarina says:

Hello! Could you also send me the files? I’m about six months too late, but I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

36. adeline says:

Hello, I would like to received this amazing poster as well but I don’t know if it’s still possible. Could you tell me how to do so?
    Thanks.

37. adeline says:

Hello,
    Is there a way to get these posters to print by email?
    Thanks.

38. Danielle says:

Finally got this printed today after nearly 8 months of waiting for the opportunity!!! So happy with it!!! Thanks Design Sponge!!!