DIY Easter Egg Decorations

Yesterday we joined some incredibly creative D*S readers for a morning of Easter Egg Decorating. After polishing off some Munchkins and bagels, we settled into all sorts of crafty projects and techniques. From gold paint pens and fabric decoupaging to string patterns and pressed botanicals, we were blown away by the amazing eggs our crafters produced. We’ll be sharing their projects and all the other party details tomorrow, but I wanted to show the eggs that our D*S team produced — along with how-tos. I’ll be honest, I broke more quail eggs than I finished successfully (though I did ultimately make a pretty cool necklace once I got the hang of it), but the process reminded me of being a kid again. Even though every inch of my clothes was covered in glitter, string and glue, by the end of the morning I felt both relaxed and inspired. I have a feeling those leftover eggs are coming home with me this weekend for some lazy Sunday crafting. I hope you enjoy the egg decorating ideas! xo, grace

The full how-tos continue after the jump . . .

*You can use real eggs for these projects, but we used different eggs for techniques that required a firmer hold.

Egg 1 (Max’s String Eggs): With a string or yarn of your choice, begin by tying a large knot at the end. Adhere this knot to the bottom of your egg with hot glue. Then cover half of the egg, from bottom to center, with Mod Podge. Spiral your string from the knot around the egg until you reach the center. Cut your string, and glue the end down with hot glue. Repeat all steps from the top to center until the entire egg is covered.

Egg 2 (Crosshatch Eggs): One of our party guests came up with this beautiful yet simple technique. Simply create light crosshatch lines with a black crayon. You could also use the wax crayon to create a pattern and then dye over it.

Egg 3 (Grace’s Initial Egg): This is a simple egg that requires only a sticker and paint. I placed my initial sticker on the egg, painted copper paint on top and then removed the letter after the paint dried. You can use an X-Acto knife if it’s hard to get the corner of the sticker up.

Egg 1 (Amy’s Circle Eggs): Using Sharpie marker, Amy made tiny circles on the surface of her eggs. It takes time to cover the whole egg, but it’s worth it!

Egg 2 (Silka’s Copper Leaf Egg): Silka sprayed her egg with 3M fixative and then laid copper leaf on top. She used liquid gold leaf adherent to fill in any patches and covered them with copper leaf.

Egg 3 (Silka’s Silver Leaf Egg): Silka used masking tape to cover a portion of her egg, then she sprayed the rest with spray fixative and attached the silver leaf on top. Once it had fully dried she peeled off the tape.

Egg 4 (Grace’s Egg Necklace): Using a small needle and thread, I poked holes on either side of three button quail eggs. I strung the thread through them and knotted the string at the top. Then I covered a small quail egg in marker circles (using Amy’s technique above), pulled the string through and knotted it on each side to hold it in place. Then I knotted the string at the end to create a necklace! A more elaborate version would make a great wall hanging.

Our upstairs neighbors stopped by after the party to join the egg decorating fun. Eggs 2 and 4 were created by Alex Eben Meyer (Amy requested they draw cats!), Egg 3 was done by Paul Hoppe and Egg 1 was done by Jesse Ragan.

1. sarah says:

for the eggs on a necklace, how did you get the “stuff” out first? the yolk and the white?

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi sarah

we purchased them pre-blown as the link in the materials list above. i used button quail eggs for the necklace.

2. Jesse says:

I love ’em! I’ll taaaake… the string eggs, the copper leaf eggs, and the kitty face egg. :) Happy Springtime !

3. I love those string eggs. And I’d never have guessed those circle eggs were made with sharpies!! Such a great idea.

4. Sarah says:

Oh cool! I love the circle eggs and the copper leaf one. It’s really neat to see easter eggs done in a way thats so grown up and stylish. I bet you had fun making them!

5. Thanks for the great ideas, I’m getting ready to dye eggs with my son.

6. Mackenzie says:

These are so pretty!! Really getting me in the mood for easter. I’m going to decopage some eggs with floral paper!!

7. My favourite is the initialled simple and so stylish!
    By the way, if you want to know how to get the yolk and eggwhite out and have an empty ( uncracked ) egg shell to decorate, here’s a link to how to do this.
    Have fun and I look forward to the next egg-straordinary installment.
    ( Sorry , could not help myself there :-)

8. Alana says:

The eggs look so lovely! Love the materials you used. Very cool Easter DIY.

9. susy says:

I feel like 2013 has declared itself The Official Year of the Amazing Easter Egg. Normally, I drool over Easter Egg DIYs and photos each year, but this year… well, the eggs are off the chain! haha

I love the darker colors you guys are using – and the cross-hatch effects too. They’re just lovely – it’s a nice change from the usual pastel tones : )

10. Henna says:

I especially love the Sharpie eggs! So funny how sometimes it’s the simple things! Love that they are all fun and not “traditionally” Easter. :)

Wanted to share some fun ones I made. haha, LEOPARD PRINT Easter Eggs. yup. I had a blast with these!

11. frenzina says:

a lovely ideas i got juz because of u thank u really thanks alot

12. Kylae J says:

How artistic! Love the string egg. Great idea.

13. Donna smith says:

Nice work.

14. Rhoda Forrest says:

When my siblings and I were younger we used to throw eggs on Halloween. Once our mom found out, she made us blow the eggs out fill them with flour. We made a pinpoint hole in both ends and blew into one end gently. It worked out well.

15. Lynn Hill says:

We just started a mini farm so I have duck, quail and hen eggs ( including Americauna hen’s natural blue eggs). No more cracking the shells and composting them for me after seeing these! Must read article and learn to blow the eggs from their shells. An artist friend of mine is an egg carver. She fills the empty shells with Plaster of Paris first to keep them from breaking.

16. Lynn Hill says:

Rhonda, why flour inside the shells? What does that do?