Current Obsession: Indigo

Over the past few months I have developed a full-fledged obsession with indigo. I’ve been collecting Japanese indigo fabric samples for months in the hopes of making my own quilt, but I’ve also been pinning away with reckless abandon every time I see a great indigo design. When Amy and I realized our obsessions were merging this month, we decided to team up and cover all angles of indigo, from great contemporary and antique products to indigo’s full design history. To kick things off today, I’ve rounded up 35 of my favorite indigo and indigo-inspired design goods, including gorgeous dresses and makeup to rugs, furniture and artwork. Later today Amy will take us back in time to indigo’s roots and where this beautiful hue got its start. So stay tuned for more indigo love at 11am today. Until then, my personal favorites are above and below, but you can check out my full 90+ object research roundup right here on Pinterest. xo, grace

Image above: 1. Folk Fibers Quilt | 2. Indigo Yarn, $35.50 | 3. Marine Dress | 4. Indigo Armchair, $1845 | 5. Indigo Coasters, $13.55 | 6. Indigo Pillow, $125 | 7. Indigo Rug, $868 | 8. Kiriko + Sketchbook Indigo Backpack, $375 | 9. Indigo Throws, $375

Image above: 1. Indigo Pillow, $175 | 2. Indigo Rug, $20 | 3. Indigo Rug, $499+ | 4. Table Rug, $168 | 5. Dupatta Scarf, $193 | 6. Phillip Lim Dress, $495

Image above: Indigo End Table by Nightwood, $395

More beautiful indigo designs after the jump . . .

Image above: 1. Indigo Kantha Quilt, $295 | 2. Rolled Tee, $150 | 3. Indigo Tablecloth, $248 | 4. Indigo iPad Case, $65 | 5. Indigo Clutch, $138 | 6. Delvaux Bag, $1950 (splurge-o-rama) | 7. Shibori Scarf, $150

Image above: Camden Rug, $20+

Image above, clockwise from top left: Indigo Pillow, $108 | Indigo Bag, $102 | Japanese Ikat Fabric, $69

Image above, clockwise from top left: Indigo Storage Pods, $21 | Indigo Tea Caddy, $13 | Indigo Textile, $45

Image above, clockwise from top left: Indigo Blueberry Print, $45 | Indigo Scarves, $135 | Indigo Eye Shadow, $29 | Boro Indigo Pillow, $175

1. Sarah says:

Mmm, this has to be one of my all time favorite colors! I love how you’ve worked in all the patterns and textures here, gives it so much depth and visual interest. Happy Friday!

2. Laura Flashberg says:

This week I just found out about the art of Japanese Boro “Rags Stitchery”………..mostly done in patchwork….Ive always loved indigo but now like you,,,,,I’s obsessing……the Boro technique was/is done by peasants…but, now designers have gotten a hold of it and made it outrageously expensive….So I will make my own pieces………….the quilts are magnificent…………….thanks for this posting…..

3. alexis says:

yes. i need some patterned indigo curtains. anyone seen any lately?

4. I am a HUGE fan of Maura Ambrose’s beautiful Folk Fibers quilts! So glad to see her stunning work in your obsessions. :)

5. Rebecca says:

@alexis Check out Lookout and Wonderland (www.lookoutandwonderland.com). Absolutely stunning curtains.

6. Jenny Lee says:

I just found an authentic denim folk quilt today at an antique store here in Georgia. It was rescued from a dilapidated farmhouse. Hand pieced and quilted, double-sided design. Estimated 1960’s. For $50! I am over the moon.

7. dls says:

Love seeing this variety of “indigo” products….thanks!

8. Mary says:

If anyone’s interested in how indigo is made or would like to go on a course to learn how do it give this blog a check out! Bryan has spent many years in a small village in Japan perfecting his craft.

9. Annelise says:

For more brilliant indigo rugs check out Jane Waggoner’s Spring 2013 collection at: http://www.janewaggonerfinecarpets.com/Collections.asp?CollectionID=20

10. Maura says:

Thank you for the feature, I’m about to fire up my 50 gallon indigo vat this week, more quilts to come!!!

11. Elizabeth says:

Anyone know a good indigo paint color? I have been thinking about painting a now black brick wall with this gorgeous color… Thanks!

12. Following up on Mary’s comment, I took the workshop with Bryan in Japan and it was fantastic! Also saw other amazing indigo in Japan. See more here: