Before & After: Vertical Blinds Headboard

I never thought I’d see the day when I looked at vertical blinds and thought, “Man those look cool.” Jessica Hill of Mad in Craft created this awesome headboard using her parents’ old vertical blinds. After they decided to upgrade their patio doors from blinds to curtains, Jessica’s mom and dad donated the old blinds (and their time) to help with a new headboard. Woven headboards can run upwards of $1,000, and Jessica’s final project cost less than one-tenth of that. I love the clip light detail, too — so clever. Click here to see the full how-to steps and more images of Jessica’s makeover. Great job! xo, grace

*We’d love to see your makeovers! To submit your Before & After, send an email to submissions AT designsponge DOT com with the subject line Before & After.

1. Andrea says:

I LOVE THIS! it’s freaking awesome.

2. Stasha Switzer says:

I don’t understand how this wouldn’t break the moment you leaned against it. Did the creator use some kind of hidden reinforcement?

3. Katy@RICE says:

Brilliant! Talk about a great up-cycle. I love it! I’m a big fan of diy headboards. We recently made one for $20 out of pallets (can I share the link?… I wish we had another bed that needed a headboard.. I’d track down some vertical blinds and try this!

4. Peaches says:

This is such an awesome idea. Honestly, vertical blinds? Wow! And I love how it allows the perfect pockets for sconce lighting.

5. geriatricmommy says:

I grew up with vertical blinds and was never a fan, so it is a joy to see them so beautifully and practically transformed.

6. rae says:

omg, that’s amazing!

7. Vanessa says:

Very clever

8. Amy says:

Such a fabulous idea! It turned out great.

9. Jessy says:

Love this idea! I despise these against screening doors or small windows. What a great alternative to use these instead of throwing them away in a landfill.

10. Alison says:

I really love how effective this is, especially for covering a white background. It also makes a nice piece of Wall art too.

11. Robin says:

I love it! Unique focal point. cleaver,cleaver,cleaver!!

12. What a brilliant idea! Your room looks stunning with this simple trick.

13. That’s a creative way to use old blinds. I would want to color mine so it stands out from the white walls we have, though. I could see this also being sort of a “base” to attach a decoration, like I have some vinyl albums I’d love to get some use out of and I might be able to put them on there. Thanks for the ideas!