Winter Camping Roundup

Today I’m excited to launch a new column inspired by my desire to get outside a bit more this year. In honor of my first post’s theme — Winter Camping — I thought I’d start things off with a few camping-themed products to set the scene. From warm blankets and socks to colorful tents and sleeping bags (that you can walk in!), there’s something here for seasoned campers and new outdoor enthusiasts alike. The best part? You don’t have to actually go camping to enjoy any of these. If you don’t have the time or wheels to get to a campground, just cozy up around the fire at home and enjoy the scenery indoors. xo, grace

Image above: 1. Waxed Canvas Bag $105 | 2. Tartan Napkin $12 | 3. Twig Pencil Set $14 | 4. Iron Fire Pit Bowl $498 | 5. Glass & Twine Lantern set (2 for $20.00) | 6. Enamel Lunch Box $49 | 7. Paine’s Cedar Incense $9 | 8. Hudson’s Bay Blanket $580 | 9. Enamel Mug $18 | 10. Birch Branch Votive Set $48 | 11. Stanley Thermos $30 | 12. Rosewood Folding Knife $45 | 13. Poler Napsack (a sleeping bag you can walk around in!) $130 | 14. Ragg Socks $12 each (non-wicking, so just for casual hikes) | 15. Enamel Plate Set $48

Image above: Campfire Cookery $12, Wood & Faulk Camp Stool $165

1. Kate says:

That waxed canvas bag is great! It reminds me of the Filson bags I’ve been coveting for years.

2. Sarah says:

I’m all for camping, but I just don’t know about doing it in winter. Sounds like unnecessary torture, like those polar bear swims. You’ll find me cuddled up in wool socks right in my apartment, waiting patiently for summer when we can go camping for reals!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Sarah

Stay tuned for a post on winter camping next- I promise it’s actually really fun and can be worth the chilly temps ;)

Grace

3. Danielle says:

I love this roundup – I’ve wanted an HBC blanket forever. The very idea of winter camping though, makes me cringe! Brrrrrr.

4. Christina says:

Everything here is so awesome.

5. Lauren says:

Such great products! We own that Stanley thermos in red and have so much fun filling it with a hot beverage and heading out on winter adventures. I also feel like my husband’s lunch bag, that he adores, would fit right in with this crowd and be great to tote the snacks: https://www.etsy.com/listing/115963118/canvas-and-leather-lunch-bag-mens-lunch

6. JP Storm says:

I think I’d get the most use out of that thermos or those candles maybe.

7. joy@ OSS says:

So Wes Andersen Moonrise Kingdom style! love it.

8. Mrs.T says:

We go camping every year for Thanksgiving and the birch votives would be perfect for our table’s centerpiece. And, I know some of these are camping “inspired,” but I would never in a million years take a $580 blanket camping, although I’m sure it’s very cozy.

9. jess says:

I live in upstate NY, I’m a little skeptical about how useful those items would be for winter camping…unless you’re “camping” in a rented cabin in the woods or ski chalet, both of which I heartily endorse!

10. mae says:

Camping in winter = my worst nightmare. But you got me all anxious for a summer camping trip! Really loving that studly enamelware…

11. kim says:

I love you, and I love winter camping. But I have to tell you that this list is incredibly impractical if you really want to go winter camping! My husband and I usually go about three times per season, but we’ve only gone over Thanksgiving so far this season. We had subfreezing temperatures that weekend, but we we’re geared up for it!

First, you need a shelter meant for the cold. You summer camping tent will not cut it. A double-wall expedition tent is best. Mountain Hardware makes great ones. They are not cheap. Here’s a sample: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/EV%E2%84%A2-2/OU9493,default,pd.html&colorID=806

A great all purpose multitool has replaced the folding knife. I like the Leatherman Juice because of the great colors, compact size, and versatility. http://www.leatherman.com/product/Juice_Xe6

Votive candles on a camping trip? No. You’ll burn your tent up if you bring them in, and they’ll blow out if you light them outside. We always bring oak logs when we can find them, and supplement with duraflame for a quick lighting, long lasting fire. They’re also way more environmentally friendly than burning wood. http://www.duraflame.com/products/fire-logs/5lb-fireplace-logs-fast-lighting-firewood

Enamel lunch box? When it’s 30F outside, you want hot food, and no clean up. Today’s dehydrated food is better than anything you can get at a fast food restaurant. My favorites are turkey tetrazini and the chicken salad. My husband is partial to chili-mac and beef http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHDL

I have to give you props for the wearable sleeping bag though…. nice!

-Kim

12. Karen says:

I second Jess. I’m also in upstate NY and there is no blanket warm enough. I go to work in winter hiking boots, a down coat, and wool socks, scarf, hat and mittens, but once the wind hits there is really no help for it. That said, these are cute and might be useful for fall or spring (if we had one) camping.

13. Roxanne says:

I also agree with a few of the above statements. “Camping” equipment is a stretch, even if you’re car camping. But like someone else said, these are beautiful and fun things to take to a winter cabin or chalet. Which I also love! You certainly don’t need to be an REI ad, but these things would barely suffice for the backcountry camper or even many of the camp grounds I have been in.

14. Katie says:

Cool this is like glamping!

15. My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different
    page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so
    i am just following you. Look forward to checking out your
    web page yet again.