Paris, Line by Line

We’re ending the day with a grand Paris-themed dinner party, so it seemed only fitting to start off with something Parisian, as well. Some of you may be familiar with the illustrator Robinson’s work. Born Werner Kruse, Robinson became well known for his beautifully detailed line drawings of cities and his X-ray-like manner of drawing building interiors. Although today’s illustrators owe a great debt to this line-drawing trailblazer, Robinson’s numerous illustrated city guides have been out of print for some time. With the re-release of his 1967 book New York, Line by Line (Universe, 2009), an entirely new generation was able to experience this illustrator’s magical work.

Following the success of New York, Line by Line, Universe will reissue another fabulous volume of Robinson’s work: Paris, Line by Line. Following the style of its predecessor, Paris, Line by Line is filled, not with words, but with wildly intricate drawings of Paris from practically every angle. Within its large-scale pages are images of modern flâneurs taking in the Rue de Rivoli, artists replicating Cézannes at the Louvre and tourists dining atop the Eiffel Tower. Through Robinson’s dazzling line work, The City of Light comes to life.

Paris, Line by Line will be released on March 19, 2013. Continue reading after the jump to see more photos! — Max

1. Adding it to my Amazon wish list! It looks like an incredible work of art!

2. Nicole Leone says:

Beautiful and inspiring illustrations. Makes me wish my coffee was accompanied by my sketchbook right now!

3. Sarah says:

oh wow! SO intricate and incredible. My toddler had a book called “follow the line,” which this reminds me of.

4. This is stunning! I can see myself enjoying it as a beautiful piece of work *and* even as a map! I love it when art and practicality collide!

5. Cate says:

Ah I want this book! I love Paris

6. Kandy says:

This looks fabulous. I’m so glad they are reissuing it. Ah Paris. Looking forward to dinner…

7. Heather Carleton says:

Wow. What talent! Ordering my copy!

8. Maria says:

I love city plans and architectural drawings. This is a bit of both. Love it!

9. Louise says:

OMG, I already love it!

10. Heather says:

What an absolute beaut! Definitely adding this one to my wish list too. Birthday coming up… Hint hint.
    Heather
    x

11. Marilyn says:

What an interesting book, since I love everything French, I will definitely look to buy it.