Flower Constructions by Anne ten Donkelaar

Sometimes work is so beautiful, so detailed and so special that I’m stunned into silence. Looking at the work of Anne ten Donkelaar, I had one of those “so beautiful I can’t speak” reactions. Anne creates these breathtaking Flower Constructions, 3D collages made from a combination of delicate pressed flowers and cutout pictures of flowers. Each piece is meticulously pinned onto a board to create depth and shadows. The final result is a fantasyland of imaginary floral species that feel both natural and magical at the same time. I’m not one to use the word “magical” much, so when I bust it out, I really mean it. I honestly can’t remember the last time I looked at my computer screen and stared, jaw open, for so long. These pieces really have to be seen to be appreciated. I’ve chosen my favorite photos above and below, but you can see the full collection (dozens and dozens of great images) right here on Anne’s site. If you’re interested in purchasing a piece, you can email Anne on her contact page for piece-by-piece pricing. Thanks, Anne! xo, grace

More images of Anne’s Flower Constructions continue after the jump . . .

1. Susie says:

These are unbelievably beautiful!

2. anna says:

Awesome! Really love the mix of pressed and paper flowers. Beautiful. Thank you for brightening my day x

3. I could definately use these in my country french interiors! They add a modern element to a traditiona floral composition. Brilliant!

4. Jess says:

So. Incredibly. Beautiful.

5. Cate says:

These are so delicate and beautiful. They almost look like real blooms.

6. Hannah says:

Wow, take your breath away gorgeous!

7. cate wood says:

In 25 years of looking at the work of others I have never seen anything like these. They are absolutely beautiful.

8. These are incredible every time you look at a piece you see something new!

9. Kim says:

Amazing, so beautiful!! I’m dying to see these in person!

10. Amy says:

Wow! They have such delicacy and vibrancy in them. Incredible.

11. Simply stunning work Anne! Each piece is so delicate and precious, love them all!

12. Preeti says:

Thats so incredibly gorgeous !!!!

13. Bob says:

These are just wonderful. Thank you for sharing them. (A first time commenter, I think, but I was inspired by these images. Also your timing is magnificent. I’m trying to solve a peculiar design problem on an embroidery, and now I think I have a direction to try later today. (I’m going to pin the embroidered pieces together, and see exactly what’s giving me fits about this)) so again, thank you for sharing these.

14. Chantel says:

These are stunning and so original. Can you imagine the steady hands, patience, time and brain-power these beauties would require? I am envious of your creativity Anne!

15. Incredible. Yes, magic!

16. David says:

Goodness me, these creations are astonishingly pretty and fragile. I usually only like wild flowers in a wild state, but this is a great combination of wild and style together.

17. Patti Lane says:

absoultely beautiful! God has certainly blessed with a special gift!

18. eva says:

want! I’ve seen her broken butterflies before, but not this series. So lovely! Thanks for bringing her to my attention again!

19. Barbara Hallman says:

These are so unique. Would love to see them in person; I can’t quite understand what I am seeing! But I can tell these are very interesting.

20. nour says:

beautiful

21. Souroure says:

Wow ! I’ve just discovered this article, the photos are full of poesy, it really stimulates imagination !

22. home_audio says:

This looks like from fairy tale. It’s so beautiful and fragile.