Entertaining: Valentine’s Crafting Party

Mentioning Valentine’s Day can be a bit like tiptoeing through a minefield. On one hand, you might be chatting with a Valentine’s aficionado, a person who revels in any opportunity to expound on their wonderful, practically Shakespearian relationship. On the other, you might be dealing with a Valentine’s Vampire, a person who is completely normal on the surface but, upon the slightest mention of Valentine’s Day, will convulse with terror, shutter all their windows and struggle to control their gag reflex.

To all of you V-Day Vampires out there: You are not alone. Valentine’s Day can often seem like one giant conspiracy against singletons, romance skeptics and those with crippling fears of large paper hearts. Indeed, for those of a more cynical bent (and who doesn’t have cynical days?), Valentine’s Day can appear to be one giant scheme, one that can make you feel positively wretched if you aren’t buying obscene amounts of heart-shaped candies and living inside a One Direction song.

Valentine’s Vamps: It doesn’t need to be this way. Valentine’s Day can be so much more than a one-day celebration of romantic love. At Design*Sponge, we’ve adopted the notion that Valentine’s is a time of year to celebrate all kinds of love, whether it’s the love you have for your significant other, your friends, your dog or even your neighborhood bodega. Each of these loves is valid and wonderful, so why not celebrate them?

As adults, it’s often easy to lose sight of what makes Valentine’s Day so special in the first place. As with other holidays, it’s often the preparation and anticipation that creates the fondest memories, not the day itself. When I was a child, my sister and I would sit around our kitchen table on February 13th, furiously drafting Valentine’s cards for each member of our classes. There was something incredibly warm and fulfilling about these moments spent folding construction paper, stuffing envelopes and taping lollipops to cards. Neither my sister nor I was old enough for a romantic relationship, but we were absolutely in love with the very idea of Valentine’s Day.

To celebrate the feeling of familial bonding that comes with Valentine’s Day, we decided to throw a little Valentine’s Craft Breakfast last week at the D*S office. As soon as we posted the invitation on our site, we immediately sold out — proving that there is still an insatiable appetite for the kind of Valentine’s love that we hold dearest: the love of friends, community and — of course — crafting! For all the photos from this fabulous event, and some Valentine card inspiration, continue after the jump! — Max

1. June says:

Love these cards! especially the one on the top left and middle left.

2. Lauren says:

This looks like so much fun- I love group crafting! I just attended a big craft party over the weekend where I got to make a paper heart wreath, so now I’m in full heart-making mode! http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-best-craft-party-ever.html

3. I love this! I always approached Valentines as a day of love, not only romantic. As a kid, I’d send homemade cards to family and friends, and to this day, I still love to do a few special things for those I love, not just my hubby. :)

4. Jamie says:

It was so much fun, I am so glad you had it (and that I went)! … Here’s the post I wrote up about the crafts I made. http://bit.ly/14E8LB9

Have another one again soon!

5. i was bummed to not get to go to this since im not in nyc—but have made up for it by spending my morning off crafting my own little valentine’s cards this year. thanks for the ideas!

6. Kristen says:

Ahhh What a great idea! Looks like way too much fun :)

7. ali thompson says:

that love banner is super cute. any holiday can be used as an excuse to have a crafting party…! love it

8. Tami Rebekah says:

Love these! So sweet!

9. Susan says:

Gets me in a happy V-Day mood!

10. Emmy says:

Awww! I don’t live in NYC but I wish I could have attended- this looks so fun. I absolutely adored picking out my annual box of valentines from Walgreens as a kid. I made special ones by hand for my parents, grandparents, etc. But for classmates (of which I usually had about 30) it was Snoopy/Charlie Brown valentines all the way. At least, that’s what I usually picked. They were the most classic.

11. Preeti says:

Loved all those pretty faces with the beautiful hearts :) lovely post.

12. NicoleH says:

The windows are actually my favorite part. Are the hearts made out of tissue paper? What did you stick them with?

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi nicole

yep! they’re tissue paper attached with a glue stick :)

13. samara kruskopf says:

14. Beverly says:

The festive group dynamic is palpable from the photos. I wonder if the room temperature went up with all the intense brain activity. What a timely, motivating get-together.

I love that jazzy gold stripe against the black stripe.

15. Lizz N says:

What a super fun ideal, I am definitely going to this with my GFs. Thanks for the idea y’all.

16. lei says:

i HAVE to know — WHERE are those AMAZING pink cutting mats from?!

17. Chrystina says:

I’ve been wanting to host one of these parties for a really long time and just haven’t found the time – you guys all look like you had a blast!! Also, I know what you mean about adults and Valentine’s Day. I’m a big people now – I think that’s what my 9-5 job that turns into an 8-7 job makes me – but I made sure to give every co-worker I have a fundip Valentine this year. The partners at the company turned out to really enjoy it as much as the rest of us :)

18. stephanie says:

You should have noted in the lil article above that almost all of the crafting items above are from paper source. one stop shop for those supplies

1. Grace Bonney says:

many of them are, but many of them are not. we bought about 1/2 at michaels, 1/4 from paper source and 1/4 from oriental trading co. online.