DIY Project: Heart Dice

Dice are the oldest known gaming implements. In ancient Greece and Rome, dice were commonly made of bone and ivory. The Romans were particularly passionate gamblers, and gambling was forbidden except during the festival of Saturnalia (the festival honoring the god Saturn during late December). Despite the ban, it was difficult to curb the Roman gambling passion. Gambling was such a part of the Roman psyche that when Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon with his troops, he said, “The die is cast.” And while you may not be gambling as seriously as the Romans, these heart dice could perhaps replace the set in your favorite board game. — Amy Azzarito

*I have to mention that the book in the photo was one that my mom gave me as a little girl, and it has remained a favorite.

See the full how-to after the jump . . .

I don’t know why I had the urge to make heart dice, but I got the idea in my head, and I just couldn’t shake it. Luckily, it was super simple.

Materials

Directions

1. Using the spray paint, paint all sides of the blocks black. Following package directions, wait until completely dry.

2. Punch hearts out of gold glitter paper.

3. Begin gluing the hearts onto the dice using Mod Podge. (For a square die, each opposite side should add up to 7. So glue the 6 hearts opposite the 1 heart, the 5 hearts opposite the 2 hearts, and the 4 hearts opposite the 3 hearts.)

4. Give your dice a kiss and roll!

1. The cutest thing ever! Clever and easy…

2. Dominique says:

Love these… Trying to think of a witty, punny way to give these as a Valentine’s gift….

3. JamieK says:

I love learning something new every day. I never realized there was a placement system for the dots on dice!

4. Carol says:

I had that book as a child as well. from a book club I believe, I got a book periodically. This was the first book I read that was sort of a mystery/thriller. good times!

5. Bernie says:

OMG! I LOVE that book…..I havent thought about it in YEARS!

6. hillary says:

So on my list to do. Where did you get such a teeny heart punch?

@ Dominique, what about “I’m betting on you”?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Hillary –
      Sorry about that! The link is included in the post now. I like your suggestion of “I’m betting on you” Much less crass than my idea of “Hope you get lucky.” ;) xo Amy

7. Laurie Phillips says:

I adore the book The Pink Motel. It made my childhood much more bearable.

8. Nicole says:

This is so adorable and creative! Love it!

9. Mari says:

I love the Pink Motel as well as the heart dice! Very heartwarming! Thank you!

10. hillary says:

Neat! Thanks, Amy!

11. sharon says:

how cute is that!!! i haven’t read the pink motel, but seems like i should…lots of good remarks about it…