DIY Project: Heart Bath Bombs

Growing up, my mom used to take long baths. Very long baths. As a child, I wondered how she could sit there for so long. Now I’m realizing that the bathroom was her only escape from four kids. And even if you don’t have kids, the bath is often the only place where phones and email don’t follow. I love an Epsom salt soak, and with Valentine’s Day on the horizon, I decided to try making a heart-shaped bath bomb. But I have to be honest — we’re due for a big storm here in New York, so there’s a good chance that these bath bombs won’t make it through the weekend. Happy Valentine’s Day to me. — Amy Azzarito

See the full how-to after the jump . . .

Materials

Directions

1. Combine the citric acid, Epsom salt and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well.

2. Add a few drops of the colorant and your fragrance of choice. Mix in the colorant using your hands. (The bath bomb colorant will clump up, but it shouldn’t cause the bombs to fizz.)

3. This next step is the tricky one: You need to get the mixture moist enough to form into the molds but not wet enough to start fizzing. Proceed slowly, spritzing the mixture and mixing the witch hazel in with your hands.

4. Once the mixture sticks together when you squeeze it, pack it into the molds.

5. Let the mixture dry overnight. Then gently remove the bath bombs from the mold.

*Note: While some recipes might call for food coloring, it’s actually important that you use a bath bomb colorant. Food coloring could stain your bathtub.

1. joy@ OSS says:

So good! Definitely going to try this out.

2. Monica says:

It’s on, I will have to make this for myself and to give away. Thanks for sharing!

3. Linda says:

You did not include ingredient amounts!

1. Grace Bonney says:

linda

amy wrote in the post, “Add a few drops of the colorant and your fragrance of choice” for those non-specified amounts, because you can add them to your liking. the other amounts are included in the post. let me know if you don’t see them…

grace

4. Kate B says:

Where do you find bath bomb colorant?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Kate – The link is above in the post. :) xo Amy

5. Sounds easy, I imagine you could also leave out the colorant all together. Thanks for sharing this, I have always loved the Bath Bombs at Lush!

6. Brianna says:

Is the colorant necessary?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Brianna – Only if you want your bath bomb to be color other than white. If you’re fine with white, than you can skip it. xo Amy

7. Maria says:

How many bath bombs can you make with this recipe? 1 pan (6 heart shaped bombs)? I definitely want to try this out! Thank you!

8. Taylor says:

Wow i love this! def. going to try! and im so glad you mentioned the bath bomb colorant, because i had no idea it existed, i was constantly using food dye but it always would turn me colors as well!

9. Stephany says:

Tried these yesterday. The recipe didn’t really work. They didn’t hold together well at all and the fizz just wasn’t there. After playing with the ratio of baking soda to citric acid, I found 2:1 worked. 2 cups: 1 cup will make six soap bar sized bombs packed with fizz. Follow the same directions as above and they’ll be beautiful. Happy bathing and thanks for the idea!

10. Chantelle says:

I just made these, and they came out perfect! They were solid as a rock. The one I tried fizzed for a very long time.

11. Laurie says:

why citric acid

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Laurie –
      To create the fizz.
      -Amy

12. Ellyn says:

Awesome! Going to try ASAP thanks

13. Lindsay Rothlein says:

I’m confused on the bath bomb colorant. When I click the link, it directs me to a solid bath bomb. Is it supposed to be liquid??? Just not sure where to buy it. Please advise ~ hoping to try these today! :-)

1. Grace Bonney says:

lindsay

that solid is just an example of the color it will make- it arrives as a liquid dropper :)

grace

14. Kizzie says:

so, i left them in the mold overnight, the portion of the mixture inside the mold is still very wet. In fact it doesn’t seem to have dried at all. The top, completely dry, but it appears what was not exposed to air has not dried. So what did I do wrong?

15. Anne says:

hi, I was wondering where did you get your bath bomb colorant ? I didn’t want to use regular food coloring because I didn’t want it to stain my bath tub.

16. Vic says:

I just made these for my son without using the colorant and using the directions Amy provided. I actually like making the bath bombs with the amount of citric acid provided as it takes longer for the bath bomb to dissolve. The more citric acid you use, the more fizz it makes, but it also dissolves faster. This is a great idea! I don’t have to fight with my son to take a bath anymore as he LOVES taking a bath now with his bath bomb.

17. Danielle says:

Can I just use this as a bath powder instead of a mould?

18. Delaney says:

I was wondering if there was a substitute for the citric acid?

1. SOLEIL says:

Yes you may use things from the orange family.(limes,lemons,grapefruits e.c.t)