Chinese New Year-Inspired Arrangement

Yesterday was the beginning of Chinese New Year, and New York managed to dust off the snowstorm and kick things off with a bang — literally. On Sunday the annual Chinatown Firecracker Festival began and filled the streets with exuberant noise and light. I lived in Chinatown while I went to NYU, and this time of year was always my favorite because the traditional Lunar New Year colors and flowers were so vibrant. Filled with red, yellow, pink and bright splashes of gold, the decorations were everywhere you looked — from the tops of the neighborhood lamp posts to the confetti covering the streets after the parade. Inspired by those rich colors, I decided to create a floral arrangement for our office to celebrate the holiday in our own way. Using a mix of quince, red honeymoon tulips, red parrot tulips, yellow ranunculus, roses and sword fern (spray painted gold), I came up with a quick arrangement to get the celebration started around the office. Stay tuned for some more design ideas inspired by the Year of the Snake . . . xo, grace

1. liz says:

They look beautiful!

2. sofia says:

Beautiful.

3. Beccy says:

I love the bright colours. After all the grey days of winter its just what I need to see! Thank you.

4. Lauren says:

Lovely! We are in the process of adopting our son from Taiwan, so I’ve been brainstorming ways to celebrate Chinese New Year in our home.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Lauren

Congratulations! That is such wonderful news. Adoption is something I feel very strongly about and I’m always so happy to hear about people taking that step :)

Grace

5. Sarah says:

Oh Wow! I’ve never seen anything quite like those red parrot tulips! It’s celebrations of culture like this that make me feel glad to live in a big city!

6. Q says:

the more traditional “good luck” Chinese flowers that we’d use include: peonies, plum blossoms, narcissus, pussy willows. In case you want to do it properly next time.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Q

I was working with traditional Chinese colors of good luck (red and gold), but thanks for the info about traditional flowers to incorporate next time.

Grace

7. Brandi says:

Those tulips are absolutely amazing & all of the colors are perfect!

8. eva says:

awesome! really like the theme. Rotterdam always has a china festival each year.