Art in the Everyday: The Chanel No. 5 Bottle

Illustration by Maxwell Tielman

When I took an introductory course in modern design history as an undergrad, the first slide shown was not a Bauhaus design, a Le Corbusier house or a Mies van der Rohe chair. No, the design item that my professor chose to begin the course — the image that she believed most succinctly encapsulated the idea of modernity and design as a whole — was the bottle for Chanel No. 5.

There were more monumental designs to choose from, certainly, but none that were so immediately recognizable, none that could be called an icon by historians and design novices alike. “When we think of Chanel No. 5 today,” historian Tilar J. Mazzeo writes in her history of the scent, “What comes to mind above all is the bottle. It’s the part of the product for most of us that is immediately iconic. In fact, it’s one of the curiosities of its history that far fewer people are able to identify the perfume by its scent alone — a strange state of things for a legendary fragrance.” Indeed, although No. 5’s fragrance has been deemed one of the most alluring in recent history, it’s not the golden-hued effervescent elixir that caught the eye of so many Parisiennes in the 1920s: it was its container. — Max

The full post continues after the jump . . .

Coco Chanel, a woman whose personal history is largely shrouded in mystery, was notoriously minimalist in her approach to design. Orphaned at a young age, the designer was raised in supremely austere surroundings: at the Cistercian abbey of Aubazine. Although a childhood spent surrounded by nuns in a decoratively sparse abbey might sound like the opposite of inspiring, the minimal aesthetics espoused by the Cistercians appear to have had a profound impact on the young Chanel’s personal style. When discussing her attraction to simple forms and monochromatic palettes, Chanel biographer Edmonde Charles-Roux wrote, “Whenever [she] began yearning for austerity, for the ultimate in cleanliness . . . or waxed nostalgic for all things white, simple and clear . . . one had to understand that she was speaking in a secret code and that every word she uttered meant only one word. Aubazine.”

Above image: Coco Chanel, ca. 1928. (Via Wikimedia Commons)

The very reason that Coco Chanel’s impact on fashion was so groundbreaking was because of her pointed dismissal of all things ornate and decorative. At a time when women were still wearing unbearable corsets and confining crinoline, Chanel’s womenswear was open, comfortable and shockingly simple. The originator of the “little black dress,” Chanel’s early designs eschewed the status quo and, instead, conformed to the needs of the so-called “New Woman,” a woman who was free, romantic, vibrant and athletic. A huge proponent of being outdoors, Coco Chanel championed ideas that today seem commonplace. Things like exercise and, if you can believe it, suntanning. Chanel’s clothing — items that were monochromatic, loose fitting and often tailored from lightweight fabrics like jersey — complemented this newfangled lifestyle wonderfully.

As with Coco Chanel’s clothing designs, her foray into perfumery was full of firsts. Today, it’s not only normal for fashion houses to release a  fragrance, it’s expected. In 1920, however, the year in which Coco Chanel first began fragrance-making, quite the opposite was true. When she began her partnership with the Russian perfumer Ernest Beaux, Chanel was one of the first couturiers to have a fragrance associated with their brand. But this was not the only thing that set Chanel’s No. 5 apart from the rest. As with her distaste for florid, ostentatious design, Coco Chanel wanted to steer clear of any floral influences when it came to her personal scent. Rather than relying upon the essential oils or spices that were common ingredients in perfumes at the time, Chanel chose to dive into the relatively uncharted realm of synthetic fragrances for her first scent. With scents that were birthed not from nature but in a laboratory, Chanel was able to craft a fragrance that was as abstract, nuanced and free of association as the avant garde artwork of the time. The scent, meant to be at once clean and sensual, had no reference point — it stood entirely on its own, a work of original beauty.

The same can be said of the glass bottle that held Coco Chanel’s indescribable fragrance. As with much of Chanel’s work, the story of how the Chanel No. 5 bottle came to be is largely speculation. Lost in a mire of hearsay, rumor and mythologizing, the bottle’s origins have become part of the larger Chanel legend. Some say that the perfume bottle was based on a toiletry bottle carried by her lover, Boy Capel. Others claim that the bottle’s design was inspired by a whiskey bottle, while some say that the inspiration was drawn from glass pharmaceutical vials. Whatever the case may be, it can be stated with some certainty that Coco Chanel, in choosing the design for her perfume’s bottle, was looking for something simple, even clinical, to stand apart from the overstated designs customarily seen on the perfume counter. What she ended up with was something understated, elegant and in striking opposition to everything that came before it.

Chanel Perfume ad, ca. 1953 (via Perfume Boudoir)

Although it may have been Chanel’s intention to create a practically “invisible” bottle that would allow her perfume to “speak for itself,” the minimalistic design of the Chanel No. 5 bottle speaks volumes. From its starkly faceted form to the single white label emblazoned with crisp, black sans-serif text, the object is modernity at its finest. As with the fragrance that it contained, the No. 5 bottle attempted no references to antiquated modes of production. It was machine-made and mass-produced, and it was not ashamed. On the contrary, like the modernist designs shown off at the contemporaneous Exposition Des Arts Decoratifs, the Chanel No. 5 bottle was an example of the beauty possible through mechanical production. Over the course of Chanel No. 5’s long history, the bottle’s design has remained more or less the same, a testament to its timeless beauty.

Above image: Chanel No 5 ad, ca. 1960s (via Styleite)

Today, it is said that a bottle of Chanel No. 5 sells once every 30 seconds. Numerous celebrities have voiced their devotion to the fragrance over time, most notably Marilyn Monroe, who famously said that all she wore to bed at night was a few drops of Chanel No. 5. In recent years, silver screen stars such as Nicole Kidman and Audrey Tautou have graced the No. 5’s advertisements — and who could forget Brad Pitt’s endlessly-parodied endorsement of the perfume? Now over 90 years old (one of the few perfumes to have survived so long), there is no denying that Chanel No. 5 is much more than a simple scent — it’s a powerful symbol of beauty, modernity and the longevity of timeless design.

1. Amanda says:

This was so interesting! Thanks so much for the insight. :)

2. kate says:

What a wonderful article!
    My gran always had a Chanel No. 5 bottle on her bureau and sadly, after she died, it was amongst a few sentimental things that were sold at the estate sale before I was able to get home.
    Thank you for writing this piece…it was not only fascinating but brought back incredibly sweet memories of my gran.

3. jon says:

i’ve been a longtime fan of the bottle.

4. arqdisa says:

It’s amazing how often an apparently very simple design becomes an icon and survives to fancies and centuries with no effort; with Channel Nº5 bottle, the famous statement “Less is more” is again an unquestionable fact.

5. Wonderful read!! CoCo Chanel was such an incredibly complex woman. I absolutely adore Chanel No. 5, just one spritz is all you need. It’s the scent that keeps on evolving as the day goes on. Thanks for sharing this.

6. Wonderfully written and very informative article! I have always been attracted to this fragrance’s simplicity, yet I was unaware of the deliberate societal shift underpinning its marketing.

7. Greg says:

Great piece — I had never thought about it like this before. What’s especially fascinating is that Chanel, a brand we’d consider heritage, continues to represent modernity, right down to packaging and promotion. Two of my all-time favorite ad campaigns were Chanel — the Baz Luhrmann/Nicole Kidman “film” for No. 5, and the 1990s Egoiste ad with women popping out of the windows, shouting in French.

But nothing holds a candle to having a lover named “Boy.” Respect!

8. Love it. The icon, the bottle, the colour, the scent and the memories of seeing it on my mother’s dresser growing up. Even if I knew of it’s existence before it will for ever be associated to Nina Simone’s song: My Baby Just Cares for Me used for the mid 80s commercial featuring the beautiful, classic, French actress and fashion model, Carole Bouquet. This commercial for Channel No 5 is my all time favourite!

9. tamera says:

The history of Chanel No. 5 is told beautifully (that accent!!) in a video from Chanel, here:!/no5/history

10. Sandra says:

I love this post! So interesting, thanks so much for sharing!

11. sherri lynn says:

This is a wonderful article! Have you read The Secret of Chanel No. 5? It really is a quite interesting book on the secrets and history behind Chanel No. 5. Such an iconic symbol of beauty!

12. Miss Heliotrope says:

A childhood spent surrounded by NUNS, not monks –
    No 5 includes naturals – the jasmine – as well as the synthetic aldehydes.

& people may well not recognise the scent – the parfum/edp/edt are all somewhat different – & if the anti-scent people get their evil ways, changes will keep happening.

More on the advertising campaigns:

13. Miss Heliotrope: Thanks for the clarification and the link! I made the necessary corrections in the post. :)

14. Ya know, i have never really realized how important the design of that specific bottle was, it set the standard for modern minimalism which is a big deal. one more thing one bottle every 30 seconds is 2880 bottles per day. WOW.

15. Naomi says:

What a refreshing article! It’s a good reminder that artificial and mass produced objects can be things of beauty too.

16. I love the advert from 1953, so simple and so beautiful.

17. Ashley Johnson says:

First of all I would like to say that your illustration is beautiful.

Secondly, the article is very well written and full of great information.

Lastly, it has always amazed me that Chanel’s brand has become so iconic and classic when it spurned from a place of rebellion in a sense.

Oh and I suppose a second lastly; this is my favourite Chanel No. 5 print at the moment, done by Randa Salloum and artist from Vancouver, BC, her brand is called iseenoise and can be by purchased on etsy:

Her prints are also super affordable.

Thanks again Max!

18. kim says:

Oh my,I had a chance to buy a signed Warhol print that he did of the Chanel bottle many years ago and it would have meant Ramen noodle meals for 6 months so I passed, but it’s one of those purchases that I always regret not making. I love the pink and gold in the illustration.

19. Sheila says:

Great article! Love the photos as well! Maxwell’s illustration is wonderful :)

20. Ebe Zorzoli says:

i was so fortunate to live the golden era of fashion, the allure and the clasic charm of designers like Coco Chanel, Elsa Shiaparelli and many others …the enchanting looks of wath i call walking art…

21. Such a thoughtful post. Art can be found in everyday objects, and this is a wonderful example. Useful and beautiful can go together.

22. dianna says:

I think this is my favorite design*sponge article of all time! I’m wearing it right now, just like my mama and grandmama before me. Timeless, indeed.

23. This post is so interesting! I never knew ‘the history’ of Chanel no. 5 and now I do I want to try it as I previously haven’t.

24. Marie Linda says:

I loved reading this article. I did not know that Coco Channel had been brought up by nuns. I just bought my first bottle of Channel no 5 today in view of my wedding day next year. I could not wait to buy it. I’m so happy. This perfume brings back so many memories of when I was young and my mom would wear this perfume and smell so nice. This perfume was the only thing in the world my mom had that was expensive. I will treasure this bottle of perfume for ever and ever.

25. Elena says:

Very interesting post! I’m driving a research about this bottle for the University, so I need to know wich materials compose it… The bottle cap seems PMMA, right? And it’s neck? I have the 1986’s bottle… If someone could help me, send an email at Thank you for your attention.