25 Amazing Papercut Artists

Today Design*Sponge is almost entirely¬†devoted to paper crafts. Coming up, we’ve got two interviews with artists who specialize in the classic paper techniques of marbling and paper cutting, as well as two paper-based DIY projects, a roundup of marbled design goods and an in-depth look at the history of marbling. To kick things off, I thought I’d share 25 of my favorite artists who create incredible cut paper designs. I narrowed this list to 25, but my full Pinterest research board (I love using those secret boards for my initial research) of 40+ papercut designs is right here if you need a little more inspiration. xo, grace

Image above by Elsa Mora

Yuko Yamamoto

Elsa Mora (Etsy shop here)

More papercut designs after the jump . . .

Mia Pearlman

Donna Ruff

Julene Harrison

Rob Ryan

Anne ten Donkelaar

Sarah Dennis

Jonathan of Mr Yen*

*Stay tuned for an interview with Jonathan next!

Elod Beregszazi

Suzy Taylor (Etsy Shop here)

Naomi of Woodland Papercuts (Etsy shop here)

Emily of Bird Mafia

1. Victoria says:

Sarah Dennis is definitely my favourite! her recent piece with the flamingos is simply stunning

2. Ramani Mathew says:

Good enough to be exhibited in a museum and to be collected! WOW!!

3. Clare says:

Really great to see a feature on papercut artwork. Some new artists I am not so familiar with too. I agree with those who’ve mentioned Su Blackwell. I’m also a fan of Emily Hogarth’s work. I also love a bit of paper cutting myself- have a look at my blog http://www.clarekellypapercuts.blogspot.com

4. Lorraine says:

A really great group of papercut artists! Their work is truly inspiring and the varying types of work in the cut paper medium is exciting. Have you seen Gestalten’s ‘Papercraft’ and ‘Papercraft II’ books? There are so many artists revolutionizing the medium!

5. Craig Tinsky says:

Absolutely wonderful. I also make Papercut art and I love that people are innovating and reimagining new techniques for this medium. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onlypaper/no-paint-no-ink-only-paper-art-in-the-smithsonian

6. Jeremy E says:

You guys should check out Greg Tinsky. He is a papercut artist who has a funding project on kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onlypaper/no-paint-no-ink-only-paper-art-in-the-smithsonian.

7. Lilach says:

WOW I love everything!
    Please check my papercutsongs shop :)

8. Tami Komai says:

look up marianne vogler and tami komai in internet to see works that are exciting and different than what you show here. Both reside near Basel,Switzerland .

9. Alexander Friedrich says:

Thanks for your list I LOVE paper cut art.. I think Nahoko Kojima is leading the contemporary side of paper cut sculpture right now. Her Cloud Leopard at the Saatchi Gallery last year was groundbreaking!

10. Grace says:

Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! This is the first time I’m hearing about paper art but I’m hooked already. How and where can I learn to do this? Gosh!

11. Flora says:

I am so overwhelmed by the number of amazing artists in the paper cutting world.

I met Nahoko Kojima a few weeks ago and signed up for her workshop after I viewed her work in person and now I’m addicted. I didn’t realise there was such a large community of paper cutters in existence. Thank you everyone for sharing your favourites, I will look them all up.

My favourite paper cutter is still Naho. She has a new work exhibiting next month in London if you haven’t seen her work. Keep your eyes peeled for this one.

12. Serena says:

Heather Clements has some pretty outstanding work as well. Here is her flickr, which has some of her other work besides her paper cuts. It’s gorgeous.

13. Sudha Shivshankar says:

Absolutely amazing collection. I would love to learn this art and will be extremely delighted if anyone could teach me. I live in Chennai, India. Even online classes are fine. Classes in person would be excellent. Thank you in advance.

14. Love these! I try to ‘draw’ but in papercut . I use laser cutting and I would be interested in hearing comments re relative merits of hand v laser:
    I actually prefer the lines – not as angular. and means I can offer personalisation :each customised papercut can be produced as an original but not as expensive as a hand-cut original. Villages, towns, iconic historical figures, Rabbie Burns CR Mackintosh. Keep cutting – or lasering!:)

15. One day….one day I’ll figure out how to get my images off Facebook and onto Google ;) Nice to see some of my friends included here!
    Paper Panda xx

16. Graham says:

Wow! fantastic skills. Another favorite of mine is http://www.paperpetal.co.uk

17. I love the work shown here! Please check out some of my paper cuts at http://www.juliefriedmanart.net

18. Von Kloeter says:

Emma Boyes (FB) does amazing custom designs!

19. dj creation says:

very beautiful & interesting !!!!!!!

20. Carole Amer-Koch says:

Beautiful & amazing !

21. Donna Ruff says:

Thank you so much for including me with this amazing group of artists. I want to comment briefly on laser vs. hand cutting. I prefer doing my work by hand, because the little over-cuts that result keep the work from being perfect- and although cutting patterns is repetitive work, it becomes my own mark, not from a computer file. That being said, I’ve experimented with doing some stuff by laser too- as it enables me to make many works from the same pattern. There are things the laser can do that I can’t- like very tiny text for instance. When I’m cutting the newspaper pages, I’m always thinking about what to leave and what to cut away.

22. pallvi says:

hi, i just love these designs.i also want to create some.i never tried this type of art till now.but now i am gonna try this.thank all of you to inspire me.

23. laura emerick says:

I can’t believe you forgot Paper panda! She is amazing! Glad to see you got Suzy Taylor in there though, finest british art :)

24. Aww I can’t believe Benja Harney didn’t make the list!
    He’s worked for everyone from Hermes to Adidas, Harper’s Bazaar to Kylie Minogue!

25. Amazing!!! I’m only aware of the beautiful works of Mr. Yen, Rob Ryan, Elsa Mora and Yulia Brodskaya in the field of paper cutting. Thank you so much for introducing us to more awesome papercut artists. Truly inspiring! :)

26. Leslie says:

I found a framed paper cutting of two rabbits and a radish, very similar to the owl pictured above. There is a green oval that I assume is the artists signature in Chinese. It was interpreted to be “Ore-ki”. Any info would be appreciated. It has VIII on the back.

27. Aim says:

Also missing from here is Shanti Grumbine:

28. Barbara says:

Check out the amazing work of Sarah Steinwachs too. It is truly incredible. She is an artist and a design professor in Philadelphia.

29. anne-marie says:

Andy Smetanka is incredible and works creating silhouette animation. He has a new project he is working on that will be as fantastic as all of his work – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1486916197/a-place-sort-of

30. Alisa says:

Love this post! Cut paper is a seriously under-rated craft and artform, so glad to see it get some special lovin’!

31. Lorrie says:

Great collection, and lovely to see two of my friends up there. Must pass this on.

Thanks for sharing..

Lorrie x

32. Miriam says:

Here’s another lovely artist from New Zealand! http://lonniehutchinson.com/

33. Ellie says:

Fabulous collection! I also love Sarah TRunbauer’s work. I also paper cut and have a blog http://www.the singing tree.biz

34. Mac says:

Great collection but missing Sharyn Sowell, and Emma Van Leest.

35. Carole Amer-Koch says:

WOW!!! Amazing work I’ve never seen such intricut work.

36. Sanne says:

I am missing Marthe “Whispering Paper”. She creates truly amazing paper cuts on commission basis.

and on Etsy

37. Chantelle says:

There are so many great paper artists out there but where do we start to get commissions for this type of illustration? If it isn’t created on a computer most companies don’t want to know. I’d like help with this if anyone could check out my papercuts. I layer the paper as if it were paint to create detailed illustrations on second inspection. cargocollective.com/ChantelleBell