Weekly Wrap Up & January Playlist (Songs for a Clean Start)

January 2013: Clean Start Mix from designsponge on 8tracks Radio.

This year we’re starting a new tradition at Design*Sponge: a playlist to match our monthly theme. I’ve always looked for ways to infuse music into the site because it’s a huge part of my life. I spend most of my downtime listening to music and singing around the house, and now I’m lucky enough to work with two people who do the same. Most of the time, you can find the three of us in the office singing along to movie soundtracks and dance music or trying to find the perfect song that will motivate us to work through a tough new project. So we decided that every month we’d create a playlist of our favorite music to share with all of you and hopefully get some new listening ideas from you, as well. This month is all about clean starts for us, so this music is an upbeat mix of songs that will keep your energy high for powering through workout commitments or a particularly daunting round of decluttering and cleaning. I hope you’ll enjoy these songs as much as we do! See you on Monday and have a great weekend. xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

*A full list of the mix tracks are after the jump, if you just want to look at song titles or find the songs on Spotify, etc.

Full Track List

Let it Out- Girl Talk
Call Your Girlfriend- Robyn
Barden Bellas- Finals Mashup (From the Pitch Perfect Soundtrack)
Bulletproof- La Roux
Masshysteri del två- Masshysteri
Romance- Wild Flag
Better Get to Livin’- Dolly Parton
Too Many Fish in the Sea (Single)- The Marvelettes

Dog Days Are Over- Florence + The Machine

1. Kate says:

y’all killed it with this mix!

2. kaela d. says:

This playlist rocks, Grace! Some new and old faves. Thanks! :D

3. Ashley T. says:

Did you actually mix the songs? If so this is awesome and how’d you lay the songs over each other???

4. Scheherazade says:

I love the mix; it’s perfect for having on in the background as I study. Thanks!

5. Ashley T. says:

Never mind! Just saw the link. I joined 8tracks and am now listening to every mix Girl Talk has ever made :)

6. kate o. says:

Oh man, this is just what I needed to get me through the day with my two year old. Bonus…he is rocking out to it too!

7. Luka says:

I’d love a list of these songs so we can recreate the mix on Spotify or Rdio

1. Grace Bonney says:

i’m in the process of writing them out now— stay tuned ;)

8. Alexa Johnson says:

Brilliant playlist, y’all. Can’t wait to listen to more of these!

9. Luka says:

Thanks Grace!

10. becky says:

you should share it on spotify!

1. Grace Bonney says:

spotify doesn’t work in the same way, does it? i included the track list after the jump if you want to check it out there :)

11. Emily says:

This is so much fun, and perfect for a rainy Friday. Thank you Grace!

12. Nathalie says:

Can’t wait to go work out with this tomorrow! Thanks!

13. Bianca says:

So nice to give us that playlist …

14. Carrie says:

I am cleaning to this mix right now – what a great weekend gift!

15. carleen says:

Love the playlist and the addition of music!

16. This playlist is so great! I just got a new laptop so I am in the middle of cleaning out my old laptop and transferring all my files. I have been writing down songs to buy on iTunes later! :) I am looking forward to a new playlist every month!!

17. Laurel says:

I like it on 8tracks – spotify doesn’t work in Canada – Love the mix!

18. Friederike says:

What a great mix to start the year with! Thank you!!!

19. Mr. Wapojif says:

Eek, sorry I know everyone’s got personal music taste but that’s an awful list of music! For me, anyway. Y’all feel free to listen and love to that lot, but I’d go with this:

Bob Marley – No Woman, No Cry (Live Version)
    The Stone Roses – Sally Cinnamon
    The Who – Odorono
    Can – Vitamin C
    Velvet Underground – I’m Waiting For My Man
    Mozart – Serenade For Winds
    Vivaldi – La Follia
    Beethoven – 9th Symphony (in full)
    Pachelbel – Canon in D
    The Who – Heinz Baked Beans

20. Shannon says:

This is a great idea! Thanks for putting this together!!

21. Hi there! This article could not be written any better!

Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!

He always kept preaching about this. I’ll send this post to him. Fairly certain he’s going
    to have a very good read. Many thanks for sharing!