Vintage Inspiration: French Glass Sculpture

This French glass sculpture was one of the first things we bought for the office, which seemed strange at the time, considering we didn’t even have a desk. But when we saw it at John Derian, there was just something about the colors. I’m not usually one for so many colors in one place, but the clarity of the glass brings it all together. And now, in the middle of winter when everything seems gray, I could use some color. — Amy Azzarito

Photographs by Maxwell Tielman

Image above: 1. Handknit Swoon Throw, $79.95 | 2. Flecked Cardigan, $39.99 (on sale!) | 3. Red Enamel Tumbler, $16 | 4. Tourne Red/Blue Editing Pencils, $4 | 5. Marimekko for Iittala, $27.50 | 6. Baggu Seahorse, $9 | 7. Sables Croquants Lait Bar, $6 | 8. Quartz Cluster Necklace, $42 | 9. Imbiber Mug, $38 | 10. Kartell Dune Tray, $118

See more vintage inspiration after the jump . . .

Image above: 1. Kartell Stone Stool in Blue, $258 | 2. Tart Server, $18 | 3. Cobalt Spice Dish, $18 | 4. Lacquered Spade Bangle, $38 | 5. Italian Glass Pitcher, $16 | 6. Sunny Side Watering Can, $108 | 7. Set of 2 Sukat Makkaralla Glasses, $39 | 8. Emerald Vase, $328 | 9. Glass Water Bottle, $29.99 | 10. Array Luxembourg Side Chair, Fuschia, $395 | 11. Geo Drusy Ring in Aquatic, $76 | 12. Pink Drusy Square Stud Earrings, $118

Image above: 1. Ludlow Digital Watch, $9.38 | 2. Marimekko Bathrobe, $169 | 3. Swedese Colored Spin Stool, $320 | 4. Glass Crushed Cups (set of 6), $56 | 5. Aili Tulum Earrings, $138 | 6. Sagaform Cafe Loop Mug, $10 | 7. Mitten Kitten, $60 | 8. Pink Colorblock Tote, $56 | 9. Essex Upholstered Ottoman, $299–$449

1. Deanna Berg says:

I want that sculpture. I recently moved to Oslo from CA., and I’m sure it would have helped me get through my first winter here. Beautiful.

2. oh my gosh, that is SUCH a gorgeous sculpture.
    bright, cheerful, and fabulous!

3. Eileen says:

how could you not love something that looks like a clump of balloons in forever version?

4. Maya says:

That’s gorgeous – I am envious. How big is it? Maybe I’m being a div, but I can’t tell…?

Just FYE ( E = enjoyment!), I didn’t take the photo in the following link, but I did see this sculpture a few months ago for real.

It is jaw-dropping! Enjoy.

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi maya,

it’s about 1.5 feet wide by 1 foot tall :)

g

5. Maya says:

Wowee! I totally thought it was a few inches tall and wide and was intended to sit on the un-bought desk!?! ;-) I love it.

1. Grace Bonney says:

oh no, it’s biig. there are bigger and smaller ones for sale at john derian in the city :)

g

6. Kristina says:

That sculpture is so cool! I had no idea what size it was either, it could have been 5 inches across or five feet ;)

Kristina

<a href="http://www.kristinadoestheinternets.blogspot.com

7. Rachel M says:

Oo! Oo! Oo! I have the Baggu seahorse bag! I get compliments on it all the time. I have to put diapers in something, so it might as well be awesome.

8. Jemma says:

Hi, lovely glass sculpture. Did you do a post on the new office yet? Don’t know if I missed it or not! Jemma

1. Grace Bonney says:

jemma

not yet ;)

grace

9. Andrea says:

Wow! It looks like a whole bunch of balloons tied together. I love it.

10. Priti says:

Beautiful! Love the bursts of color for a gray day. When I first saw the sculpture, I actually thought you were highlighting Poppi Rings (http://www.poppishop.com/roerings1.html) I have a few of them, and now I want to visit John Derian for the matching sculptures :)

11. Ruth oberg says:

Love the sculpture but can’t find it on the John Derain website. Is it only at the store? I live outside of Chicago

1. Grace Bonney says:

ruth

they’re in-store only (as is most of the work from the shop)

but you might be able to call and order ?

grace

12. Sophia says:

Deanna — how funny, we’re moving to Oslo this July!

13. Ann says:

May I ask how much is the sculpture? It’s gorgeous! Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

ann

i bought it over a year ago so i don’t remember but i want to say it was in the $200 – $300 range.

grace

14. A Day in May says:

Love all these beautiful colors and the upholstered ottoman!

15. Mary-Ann says:

i love the colors, but it looks a bit like someone tied together a bunch of condoms ;)
    but it has this perfectly spring-vibe to it!

16. Chan says:

I love this glass sculpture and also other items with bright color! They remind that Spring is coming!