The Open House Project

I thought it would be great to kick off 2013 with a project that’s been inspiring me for weeks now. Lucy at The Design Files runs one of the best design blogs around, hands down. I’ve been following her writing and the way she’s developed her site with absolute devotion, and I’m consistently impressed with not only the ideas she pursues, but also her commitment to quality and setting the bar higher each time. This winter (well, summer for her in Australia), she hosted an incredible pop-up shop in a Melbourne home. With the help of friends and her Design Files team, Open House went off without a hitch, and it looks fantastic. From top to bottom, the styling and design were expertly curated, and the event inspired me to try even harder to consistently improve the quality of our own in-person events.

Director Jess Leski filmed the process from start to finish (they had to box and clear the home first — yipes!), and if this doesn’t make you want to clear out your own space and bring in some fresh color for the new year, I don’t know what will. After the holiday break, I’m ready to dive back into color and pattern and new design with a vengeance, so if you feel the same way, please hit “play” above and enjoy the hard work and beauty that Lucy and her team brought to life in Melbourne. xo, grace

Photos above and below by Brooke Holm

1. I love how bright and open this space is with all the plants!

2. Jennifer says:

Fun, fresh and friendly–perfect way to open the new year (and think beyond bare trees and cold).

3. Certainly impressive. A good, vibrant use of colours which adds a real sense of vitality to the home without appearing overdone or kitsch. Excellent photography as well.

4. Isabelle says:

Gorgeous photos but no one actually slept in that bedroom did they?

5. jeanine says:

love that gray couch! where is it from?

6. Josette says:

Yes, please tell us more about the couch!

7. I’ve been hearing about this blog for years, but I don’t know if I’ve ever checked it out. Thanks for waking me up to it!

8. christine says:

i want to know about that couch too haha

9. Lindsay says:

How fabulous! I too would love to hear about the couch…. and those stools in the first photo!

10. Kate says:

Nawwwww I LOVE Lucy & TDF! This is also such an amazing project, wishing she’ll take it across the country and do the same thing in other states one day!

11. Jeremy says:

The couch is from Jardan for those wondering.

I just adore The Design Files.

Went to the Open House this year – such a beautiful home. Incredible scouting.

12. Lara says:

Love it!! Great colour. Where are the rugs from, ESP the one under the couch??

13. Lucy is just awesome. I’m such a fan of her aesthetic and her blog, and this is just over the top cool.

14. Kate says:

Lucy from TDF is a true talent and her blog is a daily must read. We are a talented bunch here in Australia! :)

15. How good is the video?!
    Perfectly captured the feel of the house- bursting with sweet, brightly colored things!

Ps: to commenter above, incredible stylist Megan Morton held a bedside book signing of her new book, Things I Love. So lots of us got to clamber onto that bed for a happy snap. Check out the instagram #TDFopenhouse ;)

16. Malisams says:

I’d also love to know about the rug under the couch! Such a great space. Awesome use of color. Want. Everything.

17. Julia says:

I love, love, love both of these blogs. So pleased you follow and support each other!! Keep up the fabulous work ~ keeping me inspired x

18. I love the mats so much!!!!!!! I feel inspired.

19. look see. says:

So pleased to see Lucy’s work here! She’s awesomesauce! :)

20. Lily says:

This video was amazing! I’m also such a huge fan of The Design Files and just love Lucy’s fresh take on design and amazing ideas like this! Thanks for sharing :)

21. This post inspired me for a new project.. Thanks :D

22. Alison says:

Love the Color!!

23. This made me very happy!! Thanks for sharing it!

24. sara says:

Beautiful post! The rugs are by Loom.

25. sepo says:

The colors brights my soul. luv the all concept…

26. Molly (in DC) says:

The peg board gallery wall is brilliant!

27. eva says:

totally awesome. love the plants in the dinner space.

28. Where is that vertical plant stand from? I scoured the website, but couldn’t find any mention of it!

29. Dee says:

Where are those amazing dining chairs from? I love them!

30. Lucy is truly one of the most talented and hard working women in Melbourne. I am really proud to have been a part of Open House and am one of hundreds of local makers grateful for her vision and support.
    Good on you for supporting her in turn, Grace!
    Happy ’13 all.

31. lianna says:

would also love to know where the vertical plant stand is from- its lovely…

32. Katie says:

So lovely! The plant stands made me stop in my tracks, I would love to know where those are from as well!!

33. Emily says:

Here in the gray winter of Michigan, the bright florals are so lovely and exhilarating to look at!! So much good design happening in Australia right now. So inspiring!

34. Megan says:

How delightfully inspiring…such commitment to a creative project is really encouraging.

35. Beautiful and colorful designs. The idea and the creativity of the designs are great. I like to have some of the designs decorated in my house.

36. HER Creative says:

Wow!! the colour is AMAZING! Even though there is a lot going on in certain areas, it is the perfect collection of prints, colour and negative space. Thank you for sharing.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE. Heather

37. leslie says:

love it all! where is the rug in the living room from????

38. Melissa says:

I’m so in love with the rug and the couch! Where is it from!?

39. Lisa says:

Where are the plant stands from?