Sound Garden: Joni Mitchell’s Blue

Photos by Maxwell Tielman

Joni Mitchell’s iconic, revelatory album Blue is the inspiration for today’s edition of Sound Garden. This highly personal, raw album by the Canadian folk singer is considered one of her best by critics the world over and appears on just about every list of “best,” “most important” or “greatest” albums in the history of modern music. A little publication known as the New York Times once described Blue as one of the “pinnacles” of 20th-century music. The music is somehow both spare and rich, heavily driven by rhythmic acoustic guitar, and the songs detail a range of emotions dealing with relationships. The songs are said to be inspired by her difficult breakup with Graham Nash (yes, THAT Graham Nash), which immediately preceded the album’s production. It has been suggested that the cover art for Blue was created as an homage to jazz great Miles Davis’ seminal album Kind of Blue, which has a similar shadowy cover image.

Though simple, the cover art evokes a melancholic winter mood. There are a million things you can read into the dark image of Mitchell’s face. Because we will be focusing on white flowers for the month of January, the chilly midnight blue cover seemed like a nice juxtaposition.

I selected basic white and ivory blooms for today’s arrangement. Above, from left to right: peony, unripe blackberry branch, freesia, veronica, allium, tulip, seeded eucalyptus and mini calla lily. Follow along with me after the jump as I demonstrate how to create an invisible tape grid on a white container, combining white and ivory flowers and the use of textural elements to create a winter garden arrangement. — Sarah

For today’s all-white arrangement, I chose a personal favorite vessel: this white ceramic cylinder with sculpted gardenias. Because the vessel is white and I didn’t select much foliage that could hide green floral tape, I decided to use this clear floral tape to create a grid structure. You can find this tape at floral or craft supply stores. It is NOT regular scotch tape, but stretchy, durable floral tape.

TIP: Make sure the vessel is dry when you apply the tape, or it won’t stick! You might choose to fill the container with water, wipe it down and then create the grid, or you can make the grid and then use a small watering can to carefully fill the vessel in a slot between the tape.

For this arrangement, I chose hearty winter greens with abundant texture. Because we are working with delicate white hues, selecting a more substantial and earthy foliage makes it a bit more interesting.

The music on Blue is mostly mellow, so I thought the flowers should take on a languid character. I draped some of the face flowers at low angles. As always, I recommend a nice mix of round face flowers (such as the peony) with tubular blooms (such as veronica).

To elevate a monochromatic arrangement, try mixing different shades along the same spectrum. This can be done even with all-white flowers. You can see here that the peonies are more in the ivory range, while the allium, veronica and tulips are a brighter white.

You can also see the power of the tape grid — even heavy blossoms are easily propped up in the center of the arrangement.

Joni Mitchell flitted off to Europe for a spell after her breakup with Graham Nash and came home to write one of the most gorgeous albums I know. I like to imagine this arrangement was made with flowers plucked from a French or English garden that she might have wandered through during that journey. Set against that glowing, deep Blue background, this all-white creation really stands out.

I am constantly encouraging experimentation, and this post is no exception. Peonies are expensive and out of season in most places right now, so try roses (always around) or a similar round bloom for your prime face flower. Tulips are an inexpensive and readily available “tubular” blossom. Simply choose elements in all white and ivory, mix large-headed blossoms with delicate ones and add some kind of heavily textured green. Spend $20, if that is what you have allotted, but work with the same concepts described here, and you will continue to boost your skills!

Join me back here in two weeks for our next adventure with music and flowers.

1. Beccy says:

Wow, what a gorgeous flower arrangement. I feel very inspired to go home and try to do one myself. Great photos too. I love the white vase you have used, where did you get it from? When ever I think of Joni Mitchell I think of the film Love Actually and Emma Thompson’s character! One of my favourite films.

2. CarleyGeorged says:

How absolutely perfect! My inner drive to become a florist just hit the ultimate high. You know, that, and I miss my clean white linen and my fancy French cologne.

3. Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” is one of my favorite albums ever, and what a great inspiration for a flower arrangement! The flowers are beautiful, and I like that you didn’t go dark with the colors because even though “Blue” is melancholy, there’s joy in it too, and innocence.

4. Sarah says:

Hi Beccy! The white vase was a gift from a friend and unfortunately, I never asked her about its provenance. As you can imagine, people love to give me containers :) Thanks for reading!

5. stacey says:

Wow! Honestly it never occurred to me to try and interpret a song through flowers. Very inspiring…I may have to try this! Thank you!!! Hmmm, I would love to see what you could do with something glam rock, like David Bowie, or Queen!!!

6. Lydia Lapwing says:

You can get the same effect by making the flowers into the sort of bunch you want and then tying them tightly with either string or a rubber band

7. Chrisiec says:

Wow, thanks for the inspiration, winter inspiration. LOVE it!!!!

8. Geek+Nerd says:

Love the inspiration choice, and the arrangement!

9. so lovely, every part; the arrangement, the vessel, and of course, sweet joni mitchell

10. Shannon says:

What a incredible and beautiful combination. So often white-based arrangements look a little soul-less to me, but the green accents, and the ones that tinge toward purple offset the flowers in a way that is almost nostalgic for me. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

11. Rosamond says:

Absolutely gorgeous!

12. John G says:

Very gorgeous… I have an empty white flower pot and window sill that would suit something similar but I’m thinking soft, light pinks. ‘Blue’ is an exquisite album, the track ‘Little Green’ suits your creation

13. Love this arrangement, and how the structural elements like the blackberry branches and the eucalyptus berries are softened with the white flowers with different petal shapes. Wonderful.

14. dioncj says:

Putting tape over the vase, brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that before?

15. Barbara says:

Beautiful flowers, but I have to quibble with one little thing. The inspiration for the relationship songs on the album have long been attributed to Joni’s very rocky ride with James Taylor, not Graham Nash.

16. Megan says:

Can’t believe I missed this post the first time! Joni Mitchell is hands-down my favorite solo artist. Now she’s even inspiring flower arrangements. I love it! The arrangement is gorgeous.

17. I just recently found this beautiful flower arrangement on your D*S Pinterst board and was intrigued by the use of the berries. Right now in my garden the green unripe blackberries are just now taking on shades of pink, and red. I paired cuttings of it with some coral roses, also growing in my garden and added some blackberry leaves. It is a very interesting looking bouquet! Thanks D*S for the inspiration!