Smith Handmade

Some things get drilled into you at an early age: a love of animals, a respect for elders and, in my case, an extreme reverence for piping. Growing up, it seemed like everything around me got piping or some sort of border. Couches, jackets, pillows, you name it and the southern women in my life wanted to attach some trim to it. Because of that super-sized serving of piping, I’ve always had a soft spot for anything with a polished detail around the edge. These table linens from Amanda at Smith Handmade are a great spin on the look with a little bit of neon. I know neon has sort of had its moment, and many people are ready for it to disappear for a while, but I’ll never get tired of it in little bits and pieces like this. For some reason, neon feels season-less — fun and bright in the winter, and cheery and sunny in the summer. Amanda sells these napkins, placemats and pillows on her Etsy shop right here, where you can check them out in more detail and place an order ($11–$42 per piece). xo, grace

*Stay tuned for a serious dose of piping, borders and trim today. I’m doing a big roundup of my favorite examples in the market, as well as a fun organizational DIY project using ribbon trim.

1. CityCraft says:

Love these. Michael Miller Fabrics is getting ready to release a new line of neon solids and prints. The possibilities are endless.

2. Lou says:

Speaking of Grace’s obsessions, when is after the jump starting back up? I’ve been missing it.

1. Grace Bonney says:

It comes back in a few weeks- I just needed a break ;)

3. Joanna says:

Stunning. Love the colourful stitching. The textiles also look very natural.

4. Nomadic D. says:

Love these! And yes, neon as a trend should go away, but in tiny little doses like this, and paired with such a rich texture in a perfect natural neutral color, I absolutely love it. So perfect!

5. Stephanie says:

These are great! The pop of neon is perfect.

6. Caitlin C says:

These are fabulous! Congrats to the super-talented Amanda Smith!

7. Kim says:

I absolutely adore all these! I’ve recently started redecorating my office, and I’ve gone for a neutral grey wall & pops-of-neon as my colour scheme, so these fit perfectly :)

8. Rachel says:

I love love love the neon.

9. Jessica says:

Beautiful! Neutral and neon is perfection. Neon forever, baby! …as long as it’s done tastefully; a little can go a long way.

10. kimber says:

thank you, grace!! ive been looking for great linen napkins for a long time that a) don’t look to prim or traditional b) aren’t super expensive and c) have some kind of interesting detail, but are able to go with anything

these are PERFECT! my search is over – thank you thank you!!!

11. Thank neon pink really pops with the grey. Love it.

12. Simple, but herewith extraordinary. 10 points!

13. Kat says:

Too cool! I’ve been thinking about making napkins for my wedding and considering a neutral linen with neon (raw edges tho) and love seeing an example in the flesh.