Needed: Laundry Bag

I’ve decided that if I have to make a weekly trek to the Laundromat, I might as well look cool on the way. Well, not cool exactly, but a little more adult than my ripped army green canvas. (And please, tell me I’m not alone in the over-30 no-washing-machine group.) I’m still deciding which bag to go for. Which one do you like best? I’m leaning toward number 1 (above) mainly because I like the backpack feature, but I’ve found lots of options. Decisions, decisions. — Amy Azzarito

Image above: 1. Canvas Duffle Bag, $14.99 | 2. Homemade Laundry Soap, $23 | 3. Ruffled Laundry Bag, $29 | 4. Laundry: The Home Comforts Book of Caring for Clothing and Linens, $24.99 | 5. Horizon Shuffle Laundry Pack, $24.99 | 6. Dazz Laundry Print Bag with Carry Handles, $11.99 | 7. Anatomy of a Shirt Laundry Bag, $39

See more laundry bags after the jump . . .

Image above: 1. Drawstring Laundry Bag, $24 | 2. Launder with Care Laundry Bag, $39 | 3. Gal Pal Garment Deodorant Removers, $9.99 (Does anyone know if these work? Seems cool!)| 4. White Stars Laundry Bag, $29.81 | 5. The Laundress Signature Detergent, $19.99 |  6. Savonnerie de Bormes Linen Water, $18

Image above: Cotton Laundry Bag, $34

Image above: Cotton Chef’s Stripe Laundry Bag, $34

Image above: Laundry Backpacks, $35 (great for small loads)

1. Joan Troyer says:

Those are such fancy laundry bags.

2. jessica says:

Honestly, I just use an Ikea bag. My other option is my old ice hockey duffle bag. It can be worn like a backpack.

I think that confining yourself to things labeled ‘laundry bag’ is not the best idea. Look for something of the right size that is easily carried. If you’re taking your laundry up the street, one of those granny carts might be a good bet.

1. Grace Bonney says:

I use an Ikea bag, too. Though I’ll admit I feel like a bit of a schlub dragging that around sometimes. I wouldn’t mind something similarly functional that is cute, too though and I think this list has some great options in that vein.

3. Kristina says:

No no no on #1. I have it and it’s 1. not very big and 2. the strap digs into your shoulder as you carry it. The drawstring straps get tangled with the actual laundry. Bag fail!

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Oh! So good to know, Kristina! Thanks so much! -Amy

4. Faith says:

I don’t think I see info on #4 after the jump…and that’s my pick :)

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Faith – Looks like I mistakenly put in two number 5’s. It’s fixed now. :) Thanks! -Amy

5. Jonathan Goldman says:

Nice bags, but trust me, you can do no better than the good old Ikea blue bag. Carrying capacity of 3-4 loads + soap, easy to swing over your shoulder, comfortable to carry, and when not in use scrunches up into a small ball. Plus it looks pretty hip, in an ironic sort of way. Best of all, it costs less than a buck.

6. Karly K says:

This laundry sorter is super duper awesome. It’s nice to have at home because it looks neat, keeps stuff sorted instead of in a heap, and the bags are easy to lift from the cart right into the car (or carried depending how far you’re going). I love it.

7. Amelia says:

I’m with you in the no washer department and have reduced myself to many laundry carrying methods, a garbage bag being the most shameful-yet ever present option. I got a cute bag from ikea that was able to carry a good amount of laundry and stayed in tact regardless of how much I managed to stuff into it, but over time lugging it around got really taxing (especially in the winter.) I broke down and got something with wheels (think old lady returning from grocery store) and it’s just so practical that I can’t go back. I mean, it holds detergent, too! A cute laundry bag is a solid way to go, but what can be more solid than no back pain?

8. savannah kay says:

The bags are all cute, but I too, use the blue Ikea bag.

9. linda says:

is the ikea blue bag biodegradable? don’t think so and eventually they will get worn and then thrown out…this could be a great diy project…a knock off of the ikea blue bag using recycled textiles.

10. Cindy says:

I actually made my own laundry bag using the idea/pattern of an Ikea bag and some nice, strong white material. Took about an hour and it’s just what i needed. :)

11. Rozalie says:

I am so happy, that I have a laundry machine at home :)

12. Well I finally upgraded to a washing machine and dryer about 4 yrs ago when we purchased our first house and I’m 42! I had bags and a trusty backpack including the Ikea wonder bag (now holding ice skates or helmets) and it was okay for about 5 yrs but it got old, depressing and frustrating. When you have a kid growing, a busy life that requires for you to wash more than once a week in the middle of a Canadian winter with no car, Nothing, NOTHING beats the granny cart on wheels!!! Seriously, it’s for me the ONLY decent option. You know when I made my switch? When I saw Jamie Oliver pull a cool leopard print one for his groceries at a market (it’s in his early cookbook) I got one in plaid (so my guy could use it too ) and so far that thing lasted through an entire decade and a half!!! We use it for heavy errands, donations to the salvation army, pumpkin purchases in the fall (it can take 2 good ones) and it’s our official grocery carrier (we don’t drive). It even helped us move many items from one apartment to an other with about 2 blocks in between when we were short on hep one time. I can’t say enough goo things about it.The day it dies we will burry it and weep and sing it’s virtues!

As for the laundry I loved it because it would stay put when I would neatly fold my laundry and pile it like a Tetris master. I would line it with garbage bags inside to keep my laundry clean. Seriously, the best $20.00 something item we invested in, in the last 15 years!! :D I’m sure there are many cute ones out there now, you should post a feature on it.

13. Leia says:

I have #5 and it works GREAT if you like doing big loads, which I do (better for the earth & cheaper!). It’s also a back pack (2 straps!) & I used to live in washington heights in NYC up a huge hill and it makes it easy to lug up mount olympus, even when it has 2-3 bottles of detergent/softner in it. The pocket in the front also can hold all the quarters you may have been saving.

14. Great picks for laundry bags. Now who says laundry bags can’t be fashionable? Nice!