In The Kitchen With: Pauline Boldt’s Fig-Glazed Roast Pork

This week is the third installment of a submission by photographer Pauline Boldt. In December, Pauline shared a series of recipes with me that would have been great for a full meal, but I preferred to post them individually to avoid losing any single element. I think the three (Cornmeal Cake with Candied Lemons and Holiday Gin and Tonics) taken together make a fantastic meal (plus drink) that is simple and perfect for the winter. If you want to go a bit further, you can try Nikole Herriot’s Onion Thyme Buns to accompany. Stay warm! — Kristina

About Pauline: Pauline is a world-traveling photographer and author of the blog 26 Merton Road. She is also one-third of Le Tre, a venture that combines wine, food and photography and features Tina Jones, Marisa Curatolo and Pauline.

See Pauline’s favorite roast pork recipe after the jump . . .

Fig-Glazed Roast Pork
Serves 8

• 4 lb boneless center-cut pork loin
  • fresh sprig rosemary
  • coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to season
  • 3/4 cup fig preserve, plus more to serve
  • 8 cipollini onions
  • 2 anjou pears, quartered lengthwise
  • 2 heads garlic, top trimmed 1/4 inch
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.

2. Trim pork of excess fat; place rosemary sprig on top of roast and tie with kitchen string at even intervals.

3. Season pork roast with salt and pepper and brush with fig preserve. Place the roast rosemary side up in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 15 minutes.

4. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Arrange onions, pears and garlic (cut side up) around roast and drizzle with olive oil. Cook 1.5 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 155°F.

5. Transfer roast to cutting board and tent. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Discard the string and slice into thick slices. Transfer onions, pears and garlic to serving platter. Serve with the roast pork, rosemary and additional fig preserve.

Why Pauline Loves This Recipe

This roast pork is a perfect example of why I love being a food photographer. When Marisa decided she wanted to make a pork roast to be later shared with the people working alongside us during a photo shoot at Tolaini Winery, I was soooo happy. With fresh rosemary close at  hand, she went about gathering her ingredients and putting this amazing recipe together. While I spent the afternoon photographing all other sorts of different food, I could smell the roast through the kitchen window. When it was done, Tina poured the perfect glass of wine to go with the dinner, and we, Le Tre, cheered each other to a job well done!

Tina suggests pairing this pork with the following wines: Red: Condado De Haza Ribera Del Duero Crianza 2007; White: Chateau De Lancyre La Rouviere 2011 Marsanne, Roussanne, Viognier; Rose: Domaine Lafond Roc-Epine Tavel 2010

1. Rachel says:

Fig glazed… oh, that sounds heavenly. I’ve never tried anything like this for dinner – I’m going to have to surprise my husband with this!!

2. I’ve been thinking about a pork roast and this recipe looks so good! Gorgeous photos!

3. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp says:

The roast is lovely…something that would be terrific to have on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Btw, is this something that can be cooked up in a crockpot? That would make it even easier.

4. The pics are absolutely delightful. I want to escape and go run in these wine fields!

5. Maddi says:

I can’t wait to make this roast! Brilliant. Photography!!

6. Being fig obsessed I’ll have to try this!!! I’m sure using a fig jam with chunky fruits would be as good! :) Thanks for this and beautiful pictures!

7. Rachael says:

This looks absolutely delicious, beautiful photos & a gorgeous recipe, can’t wait to try it!

8. pincy says:

i like this style !

9. Mel says:

I love the rustic roasting pan. Where would someone find one of those??

10. Mel says:

I love the roasting pan, where would someone acquire one so cool?

11. Nay says:

Yes, nice pan, nice photography, but can someone tell me if this actually taste good? Anyone?

12. Nonna says:

I’m looking forward to this! Presentation is beautiful. Great photos

13. Mari says:

this looks absolutely amazing! beautiful photos

14. Sandy says:

made this dish this evening and it was amazing. added new potatoes and extra veggies. so tasty!

15. Elizabeth says:

I’m not a great cook and so my husband gives me food challenges to grow my skills. (he’s an amazing cook). He has challenged me to do a pork roast without using lemon or lime so this is perfect. I can’t wait to pull this out of the oven for him! Ta-Da!!

16. Heather says:

I just made this and my taste buds are dancing with joy! The recipe is simple (once I found the fig preserves), and it tastes absolutely amazing. This is probably the best pork I’ve ever cooked. Even my kids gave it a thumbs up. Thank you!