Harmony Sheets

For about a year now, I’ve been slowly stalking remnants of Japanese ikat fabric on Etsy. I have a grand plan to create a quilted duvet cover for my bed using them, but it’s going to take much longer than I thought. Not only because I’ve yet to learn how to quilt, but also because those antique fabric scraps are pretty pricey, and I have to hunt like a pro for discounts, sales and sellers with good overseas shipping rates. I’ve built up a nice little scrap pile, but I’ve got a ways to go, so my Google alert for “Japanese ikat” is still popping up in my inbox on a regular basis. This weekend it snared these cute sheets at West Elm that are inspired by Japanese ikat and use a pretty indigo pattern on cotton. These Harmony Sheets are on sale right now for $23 to $95 per piece, so if you love the look as much as I do, this could be a good set to grab until you can find your own little pile of antique remnants. Click here for more info and to buy online. xo, grace

1. Nomadic D. says:

I love the idea of mixing different japanese ikat prints into one big cozy quilt! Though I have to say I cracked up at your not knowing how to quilt (yet). Totally sounds like a plan I would come up with!

1. Grace Bonney says:

i know, i really need to start learning. i figured by the time i built up all the pieces i would have learned ;)

2. Amanda says:

You could always use the West Elm sheets as a quilt back. I sometimes prefer to use a vintage sheet or something as my quilt back, as opposed to piecing together yards of fabric, which typically are sold at 45″ width. :)

Just an idea!

Have a wonderful week!
    xo ~ Amanda

1. Grace Bonney says:

that’s a great idea, thanks!

grace :)

3. Sarah says:

I love these sheets because their interesting without being gender specific. I always find it difficult to find that balance for my husband and I, especially when it comes to bedding! Love Amanda’s idea of using these as the backing! Good luck with your ambitious project, Grace!

4. Mary says:

Hi Grace,
    I think it would be a lot less painful and probably cheaper to buy your fabric direct from Japan. There is a good shopping site here called Rakuten (http://global.rakuten.com/en/) with sellers that will ship internationally. The English is machine translated from Japanese so it’s very dodgy. If you copy paste these two words 絣 生地 which are kasuri and fabric respectively into the Rakuten search bar you will get lots more results than English search.
    Here is a sample of what I found from a shop selling a set of vintage kimono kasuri pieces-
    and here is a shop selling a set of new kasuri pieces-
    Another good word for searching is はぎれ which means fabric offcuts/scraps.
    Hope you check it out. You can give me a shout if you need some help. I’m also in the collecting stage for making a quilt from vintage kimono fabric!

5. Meera says:

Wow this is brilliant. I’m from India and always thought Ikat was Indian and from Orissa. This is such a delicate version of ikat. :) Love it.

6. Catherine Paul says:

Last year, I ordered Ikat fabric from Uzbekistan but was really disappointed by its quality. Then somebody suggested me an Indian Etsy shop and was impressed by their collection and price.

Talking about India, I have myself ordered some beautiful and exotic ikat and some block print fabrics from India. Here goes their website:

Thank you for such a great information and this is just a start… ..