15 of Our Favorite Healthy Cookbooks

We’ve been focusing on health and wellness this month, so I rounded up some of our favorite healthy cookbooks. I try to eat pretty healthfully year round (sometimes more successfully than others), and I actually love this time of year because I can make a big pot of soup that lasts for nearly a week of lunches. My go-to is Veganomicon. I have seriously made nearly every soup recipe in that book. I’m sure I’ve missed many great healthy cookbooks here, so I hope we can make a collaborative list in the comments section. What are your go-to healthy cookbooks? — Amy Azzarito

Image above: 1. Santa Monica Farmers’ Market Cookbook, $15.29 | 2. Power Foods, $15.98 | 3. Whole Grains for a New Generation, $9.94 | 4. Meatless, $15 | 5. Roots, $22.22 | 6. Food 52, Volume 2, $16.66

Image above: Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well — Grace picked this up on one of our Terrain trips and has loved experimenting with different grains like farro.

More healthy cookbooks after the jump . . .

Image above: 1. Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods — This one made our 2012 Gift Guide. There’s a recipe for the classic baked artichoke dip that is made healthier with the addition of cannellini beans, as well as tempeh balls to replace classic meatballs. Yum. | 2. Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood — I loooove quinoa, but I’m not very experimental with recipes using quinoa. I basically just cook it plain and then dump something over it. But if you don’t eat meat, it is seriously your super food. This book even has ideas for incorporating quinoa into baby food. | 3. Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen — Heidi Swanson is a D*S favorite, and her site 101 Cookbooks is my go-to when searching online for a healthy recipe. | 4. Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living First of all, this book is absolutely beautiful. Second, the recipes are not overly complicated. I haven’t made anything from this book yet, but I’m dying to try the broiled tofu, carrots and shiitake mushrooms. It doesn’t sound fancy, but the photography just makes my mouth water. | 5. Veganomicon – this is my go-to cookbook. I’ve made nearly every single soup recipe in this book. My fav is the Porcini & Wild Rice soup – it is seriously a killer.

Image above: Super Cleanse: Detox Your Body for Long-Lasting Health and Beauty — “Detox” can be a polarizing word, but I own this book and actually really love the recipes. There’s a recipe for watermelon and arugula salad that is delicious. *Editor’s note: Before embarking on any detox, you should always check with your doctor.

Image above: Superfood Kitchen, $13.36 | Ancient Grains for Modern Meals, $19.79

1. Nomadic D. says:

So intrigued by the super cleanse book. I always think of detoxing as just drinking apple cider vinegar or having only cabbage soup for 2 weeks. The idea of having actual food, actual meals, while being able to cleanse and detox is very appealing…

2. elle says:

Wow…it’s amazing. I’ve just watched the movie, “Forks over Knives” and have been hungrily trying to find some awesome veg cookbooks and then I go to DesignSponge and OMG. I’ve heard lots of good reviews regarding Veganomicon, so I might just have to buy. Thanks for the other suggestions also.

3. Nicole Leone says:

What a great collection! I have a healthy obsession with cookbooks. I read them like an exciting novel when I get them and my shelves are filling up. I recently began a vegetarian diet, and it has been a wonderful exploration for my taste buds! Thanks for sharing this list.

4. Lauren says:

I have been loving La Tartine Gourmande (http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2012/08/cookbook-review-la-tartine-gourmande.html)- it is mostly gluten free and has lots of healthy winter veggie dishes.

5. Kelsey Oseid says:

The author of Clean Start also has a seasonal cookbook called Clean Food that is wonderful!

6. Heather says:

Check out Kris Carr’s Crazy Sexy Kitchen. Over 150 plant based recipes..It’s heaven!

7. Carlee says:

I have the PowerFoods Cookbook and love everything I have made so far.

8. liz says:

So what do you recommend from the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market cookbook? I have it. Think it’s beautiful, but when I do that thing where you look through your books for inspiration, I don’t end up cooking anything from it.

The cover of the Clean Start book makes my skin feel clearer after just looking at it!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Liz

The bean puree. Hands down. Super easy and delicious, good for a snack esp if you don’t eat meat :)

G

9. Donna says:

I would add True Food by Andrew Weil to this list.

10. patricia says:

Big Sur Bakery Cookbook. A beautiful book with great recipes from one of my favorite places. A little bit of Big Sur at home.

1. Grace Bonney says:

patricia

that book looks amazing, thanks!

g

11. Laura says:

I love Veganomicon and need to get my hands on Pure Vegan! Thanks for the list!

12. marissa says:

The rebar cookbook is amazing – well worth checking out!

13. Lindsay says:

Kansha, by Elizabeth Andoh. it’s vegan Japanese cooking. http://www.kanshacooking.com/

14. Miss B. says:

This is a great collection, love it!

15. Jackie says:

What an intriguing collection! I already have Superfood Kitchen and it’s fabulous. The recipes are not only delicious and invigorating, but the book is so gorgeous, it’s front and center on my coffee table.

16. Donna says:

Also, Wholesome Kitchen and Spilling the Beans. Both are great.

17. Elaine Dunaway says:

More With Less has been a standard for many years.