DIY Project: Super Simple Knitted Bracelets

I love to knit, but I’m gunna be real: I’m no expert. Sure, I can knit a pretty long, beautiful scarf without too much error, but that’s basically the extent of my knitting ability. There are a few reasons for this. One: knitting, while extremely relaxing and fulfilling, does take some time. Two: scarves, the one thing that I really know how to knit, are the one knitted object within my skill set that I would actually wear. I hardly ever wear hats, and even though I’d love the final product, I just don’t know if I’d have the patience to knit an entire blanket. For quite some time, I thought my rudimentary knowledge of knitting limited me to making potholders and scarves.

Two weeks ago, however, while drafting my quick-start guide to knitting, I discovered one more thing that I can make somewhat competently — bracelets! Although I’m not really a bracelet kind of guy, I know plenty of guys and gals who are. Essentially made using the same process as a scarf, these little lovelies are totally cute and take under an hour to make! A perfect project for a beginning knitter. Continue after the jump for full directions! — Max

• yarn
  • knitting needles
  • button
  • yarn or upholstery sewing needles

1. Cast on enough stitches so that your piece will be roughly the length of the circumference of your wrist.

2. Knit continuous rows until the bracelet reaches your desired thickness. We made our bracelets about an inch in thickness.

3. Cast off. Leave about six inches of excess yarn at the ends of your piece.

4. Sew a button with your yarn onto the end of your bracelet that doesn’t have the extra strand of yarn hanging from it.

5. Attach your bracelet to your wrist by stringing the excess strand of yarn around the button at the opposite end a few times. BLAMO! You’re done! Go check out your stylin’ knittin’ self in the mirror!

1. f says:

wow.. that’s lovely….i wonder to make some for me,,

2. Jenn says:

awesome bracelets – but we also need to talk about that DRESS!! Details?

3. LOVE these cute DIY projects! This one actually looks totally do-able, too!

4. helena says:

i am in LOVE with the dress that the model is wearing in this picture. is it also handmade?

5. Lou says:

Ummm, Max, let’s be friends and you can make me a bracelet! ;D

6. Second post I see today that makes me wish I knew how to knit. These are lolvely!

7. paper friday says:

These are so sweet, I love them! Will definitely give these a go!

8. Kjelse says:

Wow, I love the idea! I can already think of many ways to modify this:
    -sew buttons in a row down the bracelet
    -knit two colors into it
    -use large stitches and hand-sew a thin strip of fabric down the length of it
    -hand-embroider a word onto it
    -weave a ribbon into it

I see myself making a bunch of these as gifts for my friends. Thanks!

9. Wonderful!!! I have made small ones to go in my hair like a headband!!

10. dior says:

Bracelets are adorbs, but what about this dress?! I’d like to know where THATs from!

11. Sarah says:

These are adorable, and such a great project for an inexperienced or first time knitter to tackle!

12. ali thompson says:

i think this is a knitting project i can handle!

13. So cute! Great project with fast results! Thanks for the idea!

14. Melinda says:

Love this! What size needles did you use?

15. Jessica says:

This is lovely! You could make a strip like this and use it to cover a bangle you already own!

My favourite beginner project that I encourage ‘scarf knitters’ to try is wrist warmers/ fingerless mittens. It’s basically just a rectangle that you sew into a tube leaving a hole for your thumb. Less knitting than a long scarf!

I’d also love to know where the dress is from. Thanks x

16. Liza says:

Dress – H&M – 34.99

17. Karen says:

I’m actually curious as to what yarn you used? I love that pink, and it looks a bit silky.

18. Cindy says:

So creative! I love this idea! :) :)

19. Jennifer says:

what size needle? and the yarn?

1. Hey, Jennifer! No specific needle size is needed, just whichever one is recommended for the yarn that you want to use.

20. Julia says:

Love this idea! I’m not the knitting master by any means (as in, I can’t do it), but I’m passing this along to my friend who CAN do it and hopefully she can make me one. I think it’s a plan :)

21. Miriam Guidero says:

Try doing these with an I cord stitch. Very simple (Google it) and it makes a round cord rather than a flat piece. I am trying a necklace design with it. You do need double – pointed needles, however.

22. Marge says:

I agree about the use of double pointed needles–they allow you to knit in a circle. Then sewing on embellishments would add.that one of a kind look.

23. Carly says:

It would be fun to try some different textures of yarn. That would make all the bracelets have their own character.

24. maria says:

Love the idea, I want to start a knitting club among friends, so doing bracelets is a good start! Thanks Max!

25. Sreana says:

Just made mine last night!

26. Beckie says:

Simple yet beautiful! Great project for DIY beginners. It’s easy and fun! Thanks for sharing!

27. Hayley says:

RE: the comments- the dress is H&M.

28. Sue Lane says:

What a quick little gift. I might adjust it slightly to make a ponytail holder that buttons. It would dress up my ponytail! Thanks for sharing!

29. Hi. You inspired me to make a bracelett like that myself. I put a link from my german blog to your blog, since the inspiration came from you:

30. maggie graham says:

I can’t seem to wind the yarn round the button without it leaving a gap. Love the bracelets but puzzled <3