DIY Project: Instagram Magnets

Last December, my boyfriend and I drove with our dogs to Buffalo to celebrate Christmas with my family. We only planned to stay through the 26th, but Buffalo being Buffalo, there was a massive snowstorm, and we found ourselves stranded in the Queen City for a few extra days. My boyfriend and I were both happy about this surprising turn of events but for entirely different reasons. I was happy because the snowbanks piled up outside my house gave me the perfect excuse to lay back with some hot tea and a warm blanket and just unwind, something the whirlwind holidays hadn’t allowed. My boyfriend, on the other hand, had been trying to get his obsessively organized hands on my mother’s dusty, overcrowded kitchen, and these extra days presented a wonderful opportunity. A person who practically reaches nirvana when allowed to organize anything, my boyfriend immediately took it upon himself to de-clutter, clean and reorganize my mother’s entire kitchen. Although my mother couldn’t quite see what my boyfriend’s exacting, microscopic eyes could, she was completely game to let him have his way with her space. Except when it came to her refrigerator.

Covered in magnets, report cards and photographs ranging from the present day to probably the seventeenth century, my mother’s refrigerator is a veritable time capsule, an archaeological dig akin to the great pyramids or the caves at Lascaux. The amount of stuff enveloping my mother’s refrigerator — almost enough to entirely obscure it from view — was the target of much of my boyfriend’s kitchen hostility. Still, it was the one thing that my mother absolutely refused to let him alter. To her, her refrigerator functioned not just as a vessel to keep foods fresh but also as a memory keeper — something she could look at while getting a glass of water and reminisce about life.

In a way, with our iPhones and Facebook accounts, we’ve lost some of this. The act of going to the drugstore to pick up photos and then running home to tack up the best ones is fading into obscurity, right along with printed books and CD players. I’m not usually one to get sentimental over obsolete technology, but there is something to be said about an image that isn’t on a screen — one that you can hold in your hands and look at to raise your spirits on a bad day. Today, the family refrigerator has been replaced by Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Still, that doesn’t mean that these images can’t be re-appropriated into the physical realm. To honor the lost art of the refrigerator photo, I decided to craft some magnets from printed Instagram photos. The results are not only beautiful, but they’re also remarkably cheap and easy to achieve. — Max

Directions continue after the jump . . .

Materials

• Instagram account
  • computer with Photoshop or a similar image-processing software installed (Gimp is a nice free alternative.)
  • scissors
  • magnet tape

Directions

1. Import the Instagram photos you want to use to your computer. You can do this by connecting your smartphone to your computer or simply e-mailing the photos to yourself.

2. In Photoshop or a similar program, create a document that is 6 x 4 inches at 300 dpi.

3. Open your Instagram photos in Photoshop one at a time and resize them so that they’re 2 x 2 inches at 300 dpi. In Photoshop, this can be done by selecting Image >> Image Size and adjusting the numbers within the “Document Size” dialogue box.

4. Copy your Instagram photos and paste them into your 6 x 4 document so there are six images total — three across and two down. Save your document as a .jpg file.

5. Upload your file to an online printing service. We used Walgreens’ online one-hour photo service, which allows you to pick up your prints in-store on the same day. Many other pharmacies and stores like Target also offer services like these. Have your file(s) printed as 6 x 4 prints. For three prints (a total of 18 Instagram images), we paid only 69¢!

6. Once your prints are picked up, simply cut out your Instagram images using a pair of scissors or an X-Acto knife. If you’d like, you can attach the images to squares of cardboard to make them sturdier.

7. Attach two strips of magnetic tape (available at craft stores) to the back of your prints.

8. Attach to your refrigerator or any magnetic surface. BOOM! Done! Your retro-styled Instagram photos are even more retro!

1. Rose Duggan says:

I love these magnets, maybe I’ll try them, but I hate doing crafts :( I read an article in the NYtimes once that said the number of things on your fridge is proportionally related to the number of objects in your house.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Rose

This project couldn’t be easier- I bet this one could make it past your hatred of craft projects ;)

Grace

2. Elle says:

where does one find magnet tape? I’ve been looking for something similar for a different project.

1. Grace Bonney says:

elle

oh sorry, it should be sourced in the post. i’ll add the link, but here it is (we got ours at michael’s craft): http://www.amazon.com/Xyron-4-inch-Wide-Magnet-25-feet/dp/B000CBWWJO

grace

3. Preeti says:

Brilliant Idea this was! Will try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

4. Nele says:

for this simple and really nice idea – I always enjoy your posts, they’re sweet, personal and really well written!

5. Paula says:

MAGNET TAPE! I didn’t know that such a wonder existed! Thank you!

6. Tanya says:

actually, if you wanted to make it even easier, there are magnet sheets that you can buy and run through your printer (most newer inkjet models can handle them). I get mine at http://www.magnetvalley.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11935/subcatid/36406/id/131895
    All you’d have to do is print the sheet and cut each magnet out. I use metal ruler and an exacto knife. They are very strong and durable (definitely beats the tape that I tried at craft stores).

7. Anna says:

Elle – you can also get magnet tape at your local hardware store…home depot sells it! I just did a similar version of this with tiles to make them a little sturdier!

8. Rachel says:

You’re kidding me – you can buy magnet tape?! Holy cow, I never even knew there was such a thing! Amazing! And seriously – I have the best sense of overwhelming joy when I tackle a messy space and get it all nice and organized. Haha. I once had a lady pay me in high school to overhaul her entire house and get it nice and organized. I was in heaven. I should have made a career out of it.

9. Jessvii says:

Thank you Max – love your posts!

10. Carolyn says:

They look great! This was my (slightly more kid-proof) take a while back: http://www.offendineveryway.com/ta-da-instagram-magnets/

11. Victoria says:

There is also stickygram.com for this.

12. I didn’t know you were THE Max! I’ve seen the other fruits of this Buffalo trip – and I love this one as well. Can’t wait to try it with my instagrams! Thanks for sharing!

13. B says:

I just felt like a total [blog] stalker because I knew either you or Daniel were the author when I immediately recognized your dogs before anything else about this post.

PS Love the magnets!

14. danielle says:

not only am i stoked for this tutorial but i’m stoked you gave a shout out to Gimp!! Yay free and open source software!

15. maeve says:

Oh, magnet tape is just genius! Great idea for Valentine’s Day too.

16. Ashnepa says:

This is brilliantly simple, I may try it this weekend. Thanks for the idea!

17. Timmi says:

Love this idea! I just bought a magnetic chalkboard because my fridge is stainless steel (blah!) I am totally going to do this!!

18. Andy says:

If you want to do this quickly and get a great product, use StickyGram

If you go to http://stickygram.com/?pid=117 and use code FRIEND004T you’ll get $2 off

1. Andy— thanks for the tip! Our magnets took only a few minutes and a few cents to make, though, so I think they’re still the quicker/cheaper option! :)

19. Probably one of the best tutorials I’ve seen! Fantastic!

20. Yogita says:

Brilliant idea , that was quick and easy !! I wonder if we get magnetic tapes in India :)

21. I LOVE the Instagram magnets! My mom refuses to get a stainless steel fridge because then she couldn’t cover every square inch in photos (w magnets). She thinks it’s ridiculous that people just show each other photos on their phones, or email them, rather than printing them out at Costco!