Cross-Stitch Installation at Patria Restaurant

As a confessed textile nut, it makes me weak in the knees to think about covering an entire wall with 17,000 stitches. This incredible installation at Patria Restaurant (which was designed by Commute Home, a Toronto firm) is actually a screen, created by Laura Carwardine, which was laid over a two-story feature wall designed by Marlo Onilla of Biography Design. The full process took over two months to complete, and Henry Salonen created an awesome time-lapse video of the project so you can see the hard work that went into it. I love the idea of laying screens over a wall like this; it would allow you to take the piece with you if you ever left, and it would allow any artwork or paint beneath it to be cleaned or repaired if needed. The pictures really say more than I can, so I’ll let them do the talking. I’ll just take a moment to give Laura, Marlo and everyone at Commute a big digital slow clap for this amazing project. Visual inspiration like this is my favorite way to start a morning. xo, grace

Photos by Henry Salonen

More photos after the jump . . .

1. Juliana Hurtado says:

WOW!!!!! This is AMAZING!!!

2. Nicole Leone says:

Wow, just wow! As an interior designer and handmade artist, I love when these worlds collide!

*slow clap and standing ovation at my desk*

3. Spectacular! Thanks to share it! Really inspiring!

4. BAPM says:

Wow that is amazing, I can’t believe it only took 2 months to make

5. now, that’s impressing! especially after seeing the video.

agnes

6. wow, that is insanely beautiful and the colors are perfect. how completely original, i love it

7. Jennifer justiniano says:

absolutely beautiful!!!!!

8. Tiff says:

Amazing! So glad I live in Toronto and I can go see this for myself! Thanks for sharing!

9. When I think about art that can change people’s lives, things like this might come to mind. It’s not only beautiful, it’s warm, and forgiving, and … friendly. Just seeing this inspires me to think about projects I’m working on in that light. I’m so glad you found this and posted about it.

10. Cheryl says:

I have did some large cross stitchings but this is that largest I have ever saw. WOW great job.

11. Lauren says:

Breathtaking! What a beautiful installation! I hope more public spaces use textiles in imaginative ways

12. Nicole says:

As an avid embroiderer myself, seeing an installation like this makes me swoon… And wondering if I could pull off something similar in my house, until I remember all of my unfinished projects… Lol

13. Carmen says:

Amazing piece of work, congratulations.

14. Kathlene says:

My friend Laura made this. She is awesome. She makes beautiful cards and furniture, too. Look her up!

15. Erik says:

Incredible. Love all the color in it.

16. Jessica says:

This is lovely! The modern feel of the metal screen and the handcrafted look of the stitching create an interesting contrast that is reflected in the rest of the space. Also, like you, I enjoy the idea of being able to take an installation like this with you if you ever move.

17. Brittany Kay says:

This is an unbelievable amount of work. I am so impressed! I second Nicole’s *slow clap and standing ovation at my desk*

18. lisa says:

Unique, inspirational, gorgeous! This art and the team that designed it should win an award! It is absolutely wonderful!

19. Christina says:

This makes me want to drive all the way to New Jersey to see it! Truly inspiring work of art!

1. Grace Bonney says:

christina,

this patria is actually in toronto ;)

grace

20. Matt says:

…!!!…!!!…!!!…

21. This is amazing and so cool to look at. I love it <3
    I'm sure there was a ton of work put into it and I'm sure it requires a lot of dusting and maintenance, but I imagine it's so worth the effort to have such a fun focal piece in the restaurant. Beautiful creativity!

22. Mariateresa says:

Finalmente il ricamo in arte design! Gorgeous! wonderful!

23. Rachel says:

This beautiful. Our art is finally getting the recognition it deserves

24. Just gorgeous! I love the layers of visual interest. I was so focused on the stitching at first, that I didn’t even notice the shadowy form behind. Rich, textured, and absolutely stunning.

25. Dana says:

Oh my! What a task to take on, and they totally ROCKED IT!!!! I watched the video twice and I am so impressed! Just very cool.

26. Jana C says:

Oh my goodness! I love to cross stitch, but I think that would make me batty! That was awesome to watch!

27. Beaj says:

Too Gorgeous for words…:)

28. JuliaW says:

Gorgeous, never seen anything like it! Amazing

29. Sarah says:

This is simply fantabulous! I loved the bold use of color for such a masterpiece. Every stitch speaks for itself. Hats off to everyone at Commute Home

30. Ellen says:

Amazing, I wonder when Andrea is will start it?

31. Ellen says:

Andrea, when do you plant to start this project?

32. Ellen says:

Fantastic, beautiful

33. Mary Ann Mayhew says:

Simply STUNNING!!!! Great creative work–who would thunk it?

34. Sollah says:

Wow that is so beautiful!

35. Wow that thing is awesome! 17 THOUSAND stitches?? Egads.

36. Gerry Ault says:

Magnificent

37. Theresa says:

LOVE this…thanks for sharing. Patria now on my list of places to go.

38. shaley says:

one of a kind :)

39. Iryna Wilson says:

I am absolutely speechless. Hope to check this out if I am lucky enough to get to Toronto again! Amazing, kudos to all involved!