Bellocq’s Hibiscus-Ginger Tea Warmer

Photos by Max Tielman

It may have taken until the end of January, but winter has finally hit NYC. The Bellocq tea shop is just around the corner from the Design*Sponge office in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, but it was cold enough on Wednesday that Max and I were completely bundled up (there may have been some shrieking when the wind hit our faces) and ready for some hot tea. Since I’ve given up coffee, Bellocq has quickly become my favorite spot to visit. (See our tea shop tour here.) I’m always learning about a new way to use tea. (On my last visit, founder Heidi Johannsen Stewart taught me to add a little lapsang souchong to soup when it needs extra body.) So when we were looking for a drink that was warm and alcohol-free, we turned to Heidi. Heidi is absolutely passionate about tea, and she came up with a delicious tea recipe that is a little fancier than just dunking a tea bag in hot water. — Amy Azzarito

Bellocq Hibiscus-Ginger Warmer
Makes two 8-ounce drinks

Hibiscus is wonderfully refreshing and tart (and caffeine-free). The extra boost of vitamin C helps to bolster the immune system against the onslaught of winter colds and flus.

Ingredients

• 1 cup sugar
  • 2 3/4 cups water
  • 4 inches fresh ginger, chopped
  • peel of 1 clementine
  • 3 tablespoons Bellocq hibiscus tea
  • rosewater, to taste

Preparation

1. Put the sugar and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the ginger and clementine peel and remove from heat. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes. (The ginger-clementine simple syrup may be prepared up to a week ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.)

2. Bring the remaining 2 cups of water to a boil, add hibiscus tea and steep for 6 to 10 minutes. Strain the hibiscus and discard.

3. Add 4 to 6 tablespoons (or to taste) of the ginger-clementine syrup to the hibiscus tea. Divide between two generous mugs. Add rosewater, about 1 teaspoon or to taste.

4. Garnish with a slice of clementine peel.

1. TeaHappiness says:

sounds delicious. I love bellocq, and must try this recipe!

2. Love this! I often feel a craving for warming tea late in the day, but need something caffeine-free so I won’t be up all night. This hibiscus-ginger brew is so pretty too.

3. Margaret says:

I am also am a fan of Bellocq. The tea’s are amazing and I adore the yellow caddies. I have the hibiscus tea and all the other ingredients needed to make this potion. Thank you for the recipe.

4. Crystal says:

Can you please tell me where you purchased the glass teapot? It is so gorgeous and I’m simply lusting after it!

5. Grace Bonney says:

Margaret

It belongs to Bellocq so I don’t know, but this one is awfully similar: http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?r=product_listing_ads&pcode=10337&gclid=CJOSyoGWhrUCFQyk4AodZzMAZQ

Grace :)

6. Crystal says:

Thank you so much Bonney! And it’s Crystal who wanted to know, not Margaret.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Sorry about that, Crystal.

Grace

7. Kristin says:

I like tea. But having all that sugar in it, makes me want to brush my teeth, while I am reading this. In countries where I have been to, where tea drinking is common, with
    all that sugar in it. Both children and grown ups have bad teeth.

8. Christina says:

I love this kind of tea. I make a pretty strong ginger hibiscus brew at home for when I’m feeling stuffy (or any other time really…) but I don’t sweeten it. Sometimes I add lemon juice.

9. kirsten says: