25 Great Room Sprays

In terms of perfumes or scents in the home, I tend to agree with Martha Stewart, who once said that she prefers homes to smell like nothing (just clean) or only fresh flowers. I feel that way, too, but I live in a world where deep cleaning my home on a weekly basis just isn’t going to happen. To combat the everyday smells that come with normal life (and having a pet), I’ve learned to embrace candles after years of hating them. I tend to stick with pretty neutral scents like fresh linen and watery smells, but I’m starting to wish for something a little quicker when I’m running around and don’t have time for a subtle scent to permeate the room. So today I decided to round up some great smelling room sprays that will help you freshen your space in a snap. From soft floral scents to woodsy aromas, these sprays cover an array of less-than-pretty smells and look cute enough to leave out if you need to use them regularly. And if you’d prefer to make your own, Amy is sharing a great DIY linen spray (and bottle/label) project this afternoon. In the meantime, you can check out Ashley’s all-natural room spritz recipe herexo, grace

*If you don’t see anything that suits your style, click here for the full roundup of 65 room sprays that I collected during my initial research.

Image above: 1. Rose Spray, $33 | 2. Juniper Spray, $20 | 3. Relaxing Room Spray, $6.25 | 4. Alpilles Room Spray, $29 | 5. Rose Home Perfume, $20 | 6. Ginger and Fig Spray, $20 | 7. Rose Room Spray, $21.50 | 8. Citron Room & Body Spray, $19 | 9. JR Watkins Citrus Spray, $6.99 | 10. Shanti Spray, $38 | 11. Japanese Plum Spray, $24

Image above: 1. Cire Trudon Room Spray, $190 (This stuff is intense.) | 2. Verbena Spray, $21.50 | 3. Verbena Home Perfume, $25 | 4. 34 Boulevard Saint Germain Room Spray, $60 | 5. Orange Blossom Spray, $30 | 6. Orange Citrus Spray, $12 for three | 7. Wild Mint Spray, $9 | 8. Thyme and Coriander Spray, $22

More room sprays after the jump . . .

Image above: Orla Kiely Home Fig-Scented Room Spray, $27

Image above, left to right: Lavender Vanilla Pillow Mist, $10 | Fresh Linen Room Spray, $5 | Kai Room Spray, $56 | Chakra Mist, $30 (I love this spray SO much, for body and home.)

1. Nomadic D. says:

I’ve actually never tried any of the room sprays. I think I just assume the smell will dissipate to quickly, or that it’ll be like a chemical air freshener sort of smell. I love candles, but that’s often too subtle. My favorite are those wooden sticks in oil, I have no idea what the official term for them is. The best I’ve found are actually from Zara Home, and the Green Herbs one is my go-to choice for our front door smell. Love it!

2. Mr. Glitter says:

I agree with Nomadic D. I’ve never found a room spray that doesn’t smell like a chemical representation of what it’s trying to be.

My mother prefers scented candles, but I’m an incense man myself.

I’d love for Design Sponge to do an incense round up.

hint hint

1. Grace Bonney says:

mr. glitter

i’m pretty anti-incense (i feel the way you do about sprays, but about incense) ;)

but i’ll see what i can find. i’ve used several of these sprays before and can vouch that they’re not all chemically. the steep ravine one is AMAZING and does not smell like chemicals at all (it’s all natural).

grace

3. Mr. Glitter says:

Thanks Grace – that would be really cool if you’d consider it.

I’ve tried several really clean, light Japanese varieties (Juniper, Sage, Burning Leaves, etc.) that I’d even be described as elegant.

As for the Steep Ravine spray, I’ll check it out!

4. Lori says:

Let’s do a round-up of I have kids, a dog and I cook a lot so smells are ever present/I don’t have somebody cleaning my house every day Martha search…..THAT’S the home fragrance product needed.

5. Annie-san says:

Just looking at this post is giving me an asthma attack.

Pretty bottles though. :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

annie-san

they’re really not bad- try the juniper ridge brand- they’re awesome and subtle ;)

grace

6. Emily says:

Grace, what Aveda Chakra number do you like? I have wanted to purchase an Aveda scent in the past but couldn’t decide on one.

7. love your blog and the neat things you find for us. Pinned and shared on my EMPV FB page.
    Thanks for sharing.

8. liz says:

Diptyque is really worth the money if you think of it as a perfume for your home. I used to work at a store that sold them and I was lucky enough to try them out for myself. They linger longer than any other room spray more like incense does. Fue de Bois is my favorite.

9. Nicole says:

I usually am not a big fan of scents, but I loooove the lavender vanilla pillow mist from Bath and Body Works. I can’t sleep without it (unfortunately?), and you will often find me with my face buried in my pillow and a happy little smile on my face.

10. Miss Heliotrope says:

I also used only to want a fresh clean smell & to hate scented candles: until I tried the more expensive ones – Diptyque at the moment. The scent is nicer (it should be) & there’s none of the sickliness or non-specific fake smell.

They do last longer, but still…I light them for not overlong & then just go around sniffing the air afterwards. When it’s warm, they give some scent off without being lit.

11. Suzanne says:

I used to find incense overwhelming, too, until my husband and I started attending the Fire Lotus zen temple here in Brooklyn, where a specific type is burned for mediation. The incense used as part of the meditation ceremony there smell very natural somehow—infusing the contents of the room rather than overwhelming the air—and not at all like perfume or patchouli (both of which I loathe). We bought them for home from the monastery store and now light two (one in the front of the house and one in the back of the house) to help dissipate the after-dinner smell. Here’s the link: http://www.dharma.net/monstore/index.php?cPath=21_23_100. We always get the sampler box for $35 and it lasts us a long time.

12. Charlie says:

One that should be on there is Cidre by Esteban. Absolutely amazing. Expensive yes, but worth every penny!

13. malamdas says:

Actually i prefer rose smell better than that of others for room spray

14. HANS says:

On a trip to Netherlands the smell in my room at the NH HOTELS was very fresh without that chemical like that you normally have. I asked the room attended what they are using as room spray and she told it is from Bioluxal. They are selling only to hotels and no web shop but I contact them and they send it to me. It is very special!!!

15. Tidy Thyme says:

I am happy to see so many readers concerned about chemicals!!

Most (not all) room sprays are made with synthetic fragrances instead of pure botanical essential oils. This means means there are potentially and likely hundreds of chemicals in each of those room sprays on the market, including known carcinogens. The effects that these fragrance chemicals have on the human body are very much like second hand smoking. Is that really what we want “freshening” our homes? So…this is just another note of caution to pay attention to the ingredients listed on the products you buy. A big red flag for me is the word “fragrance” in the ingredients list. Companies are protected under patenting laws and thus are not required to list the potentially hundreds of harmful chemicals in their secret “fragrance” mixtures. So I say: “play it safe!” Look for companies that are transparent, use 100% plant-based ingredients and essential oil only room sprays!

Here is an interesting read: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/503114

16. barak says:

It is not passble to buy the room spary of Bioluxal as consumer. They works only with hotels or companies. Someone know how i can get it ???

THANKS !!!