DIY Gift Series: Mountain Pillow

This mountain pillow is the second project in our holiday DIY gift series with Merrilee Liddiard of Mer Mag. You can check out last week’s project, a lovely bleach-dot clutch, by clicking here. Enjoy! — Kate

I don’t know about you, but I’m loving all things mountains of late, and this simple snow-peaked pillow is just the thing to sate my need for high altitudes while staying warm and cozy indoors. — Merrilee

Read the full how-to after the jump . . .

Materials

• thick fabric for the base of the mountain (I used a solid heavyweight gray suiting fabric for mine.)
  • white fabric for the snow peaks (I used a shearling white faux fur fabric for my peaks.)
  • mountain pillow pattern
  • corresponding thread
  • sewing pins
  • sewing machine
  • stuffing

Instructions

1. Using the pattern, cut out two mountain pieces. The pattern is 20″ x 20″, so if you don’t own a large-format printer, you can either print it out in tiles and tape them together, or you can take it to your local print shop and have them print it out in a large format there.

2. Cut out one snow-peaked shape from the pattern and pin it to the top of one of the mountain pieces of fabric.

3. Stitch the snow fabric to the top of one piece of mountain fabric. Be sure to stitch all the way around the snow peak shape.

4. With right sides together, pin the back of the mountain to the front.

5. With 5/8″ seam allowance, stitch all the way around the mountain shape, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning and stuffing.

6. Clip corners and trim the seam allowance.

7. By reaching into the lower opening, turn the pillow right-side out. Make sure peaks and corners are turned out nicely. You can use a wooden dowel for corners if you wish.

8. Fill mountain pillow with stuffing.

9. Adjust stuffing, filling peaks and corners, until you are happy with your pillow. Again, you can use your wooden dowel to help with this step.

10. Slip stitch the lower part of the mountain closed.

11. Now sit back and enjoy your little piece of alpine goodness. Or share this with a friend for the perfect snow-peaked present!

1. Lindsay Redd says:

Love it! This would go great with my DIY Christmas felt campfire, teepee set!

2. Karolina says:

It looks fantastic:)

3. lisa says:

Perfect! i have had an idea similar to this for weeks and cant wait to make one!!

4. hyzen says:

This is now on my short “to-make” list–adorable, quick, and useful–love it!

5. Raya says:

That’s just too cute! So adorable, def will do this soon. It’s such a great way to make a couch a bit less boring. ;)

6. How cute! What a sweet gift this would make, and so simple.

7. claudia says:

Really nice!! love it!

8. Lisa says:

with children we will be needing a pile of them!

9. brianna says:

Oh yes. This is definitely happening. I went to college in a small mountain town and lately my heart has been aching for the mountains.

10. amberlee says:

I adore this sweet litte alp! What a great project.

11. mer says:

thanks Victoria!

12. CLARA says:

THIS IS SO CUTE! CAN I ASK WHERE YOU GET THE CUTE CHAIR FROM?

13. Jessica B says:

Made two of these for my boyfriend for christmas (he was a Colorado boy before we met in Los Angeles)… they turned out perfect! The fabric I chose for the snow was shedding on the raw edges, so I hemmed it all the way around before sewing onto the mountain cutouts. That did the trick! Awesome project.

14. sarah says:

This is utterly cute. I think I’ll make a mountain range, maybe with different colours and patterns, lovely.

15. Liz says:

Hey! I made one just like it yesterday and blogged about it today. I left a link to your blog twice, so I hope that’s okay. Check it out if you want.
    Liz

16. ria says:

Fuji san..it looks like Fuji mountain. love it!

17. Masha says:

hey guys, great project! what kind of filler do you use? There are just so many options.