2012 D*S Gift Guides: Beauty

When it comes to makeup, I’m a minimalist. When I have to pull it together, I turn to a few key products that I’ve relied on for years, but every now and then, I experiment with something new just to switch things up a bit. I’m always swayed by packaging, but I’m only loyal to the products that have worked consistently. So for today’s gift guide, I’m rounding up my favorite beauty products that I’ve tested and loved for a while now. Some I use daily, and others I save for special occasions, but they all do their job perfectly and would make a great gift or stocking stuffer for the holidays. If you’ve got someone with a love of beauty products on your list this year, I hope these will come in handy. If nothing else, try this lipstick — it’s literally the single best piece of makeup (universally flattering) I’ve ever owned. Well done, Ilia. xo, grace

Image above: 1. Geranium and Vetiver Skin Stick, $34 | 2. Pantone Nail Trio, $18 | 3. Volumizing Mist, $32 | 4. Bobbi Brown Brush Set, $65 | 5. Rodin Lip Balm, $30 | 6. Arabian Nights Lipstick/Balm, $24 (best ever) | 7. Rose Gold Eyelash Curler $20 | 8. Josie Maran Argan Eyeshadow Kit (in purples), $36

Image above: 1. Metaphor Soaps, $9 each | 2. Glitter Minimergency Kit, $15 | 3. Geranium Leaf Body Balm, $33 | 4. Rosemary Body Oil, $76 (super decadent) | 5. Hindu Grass Perfume, $165 (I had a sample size of this, and it’s AMAZING.) | 6. Tulare Perfume by Olo, $45 (smells wonderfully orangey)

Image above: 1. Travel Size Hair Powders, $9.50 each | 2. Flower Power Rose Wipes, $2.50 (good for on-the-go cleaning) | 3. Ocean Mist, $28 (perfect beachy hair) | 4. Portland Apothecary Soaps, $9 each (desert is my fave) | 5. Glossy Styling Putty, $24 (great for short hair) | 6. Lip Softener, $16 | 7. Tokyomilk Dead Sexy Perfume, $30 (I’ve worn this every day for over a year. Seriously.) | 8. Gardenia Hand Soap, $20 (So good!)

1. Shannon says:

I don’t wear makeup, but I love good bath products and I want to give a shout out to my shampoo company on etsy, which makes bar shampoos and conditioners that I just love: EthicallyEngineered Gear Head shampoo bars. Better for the environment, folks. It takes some getting used to using bar shampoo for your hair, but my hair is much softer now and I don’t have to deal with added fragrances which bother me.

2. Sylvia says:

Oooh, so many things I’d like to try! The metaphor soaps, especially. I never think of giving cosmetics as gifts, usually soaps are where i stop in that department. For myself, I always go for Cheeky Cosmetics which are vegan and organic with great colours. Thanks! Awesome gift ideas.

3. KD says:

Thanks for including Portland Apothecary! We appreciate it!

4. Sandra says:

Love this list, I think I’ve been secretly waiting for it. I’m a total product junkie and although always swayed by pretty packing, I’m all about finding some new buys so thank you (cue wide eyes, big smile) :)

5. Miss Heliotrope says:

Aesop products are fab – and they always send a pile of samples when you order.

6. Jass says:

These beauty products are really awesome! I want to buy it..

7. Donna says:

I love the Ilia lipsticks and lip conditioners too. And their cheek stuff but I use it up so quickly! Great stuff. Also highly recommend Aesop creams. The Geranium scent is my fave too. It totally saved me from having chapped hands last winter.

8. Libby says:

Portland Apothecary is so legit! I use their soaps and LOVE them :) Also, if I had some extra money laying around, I would totally sign up for one of their seasonal shares. Community Supported Herbalism?! Seriously, what a great idea!