2012 D*S Gift Guide: For Art Lovers

Art-related gifts might not be as practical as sweaters, socks or kitchen tools, but they are one of the few gifts that can last forever. It’s easier than ever to find great art online, and I had so much fun culling the slew of online galleries and boutiques to pick out my favorite pieces. Don’t let anyone tell you art must be non-functional — I’ve found some home goods that are every bit as well crafted and conceptually striking as a fine art painting or monograph book. There are pieces here to suit a range of budgets, and hopefully you’ll find something for your own collection, in addition to the perfect gift for the art lover on your list. — Kate

Image above, clockwise from top left: Untitled (Landscape) by Tchmo, $37 for 22″ x 26″ print | Untitled — Plain Series 3, Oil Painting by Anna Ura, 48″ x 36″, $3200 | The Separation Print by Kai-Samuels Davis, 13″ x 19″, $50 | Two Whales and Coral Print by United Thread, 8″ x 10″, $20 | Black Mountain print by Debbie Carlos, 11″ x 14″, $40 | Framed Flower Sky Print by Pirooni, 45″ x 33″, $1499.95 (on sale) | Framed Sepia Woodcut Print by Bryan Nash Gill, 24″ x 21″, $750 | Web Bubble One Painting by Jen Garrido, 10″ x 10″, $750

See 30 more gift ideas for art lovers after the jump . . .

Image above, clockwise from top left: The THING Issue 18 by Mike Mills, $65 | Tauba Auerbach: Folds, $120 | Francesca Woodman Monograph, $50 | Arranging Things: A Rhetoric of Object Placement, $80 | Ontario Paper, $13 | The Stars, $40 | Sight Unseen — Paper View, $30 | Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting, $44.07 | Living in a Modern Way: California Design 1930–1965, $60 | Colour Mania, $39.95 | Maker Magazine Issue 01, $30

Image above, clockwise from top left: Iacoli & McAllister Spica Light, $695 | Chen Chen and Kai Williams Coaster Set, $100 | Josh Herman Medium Ceramic Tube, $200 | Julia Kostreva Sampler Pillowcase, $64 | Flat Life Light and Clock, $150 each | Faceted Wall Clock by RawDezign, $74 | Fredericks & Mae Moon Dominoes, $80 | Slanted Brass Candleholders, $248 | Doug Johnston 110.1 Woven Basket, $90 (made to order)

Image above, clockwise from top left: Feather Bundle Archival Print by United Thread, 11″ x 14″, $40 | Cactus Illustration Giclee Print by Art and People, 12″ x 16″, $19 | Yellow Suit Diver Aquatint Etching by Isca Greenfield-Sanders, 32″ x 31.25″, call for price | Blue Stripe Ink by Zoe Bios Creative, 17″ x 14″, $348 | Hanging Lake Painting by Linnea Heide, 16″ x 20″, $200 | Mountain Reflection by Jaymee Srp, 10″ x 8″, $20 | Neon Red Triangles Letterpress print by Alyson Fox, 12″ x 16″, $55 | Married to the Sea Giclee Print by Clare Elsaesser, 13″ x 19″, $45 | Residual Form 26 by Kia Nell, 9″ x 11″, $550

Image above, clockwise from top left: Lathographic Cube by Andy Vogt and Sarah Smith, $150 | Large Painted Jingle Bell by Michele Quan, $220 | Vasa Cubes, $350 | Japanese Wood Puzzle, $49 | Kachina Gold Weaving by Native Line, $545 | Acrylic Sculptures by Phillip Low, $550–$850 | Yoshimoto Cube No. 1, $65 | Brass Paperweight by Masanori Oji, $60 (on sale) | Cube by Dana Hemenway, $100 | Sculpted Knot Curio by Amanda Harris, $20 | 11/12 Brass Sculptures by Alma Allen, contact for price | Sandstone Pyramid Paperweight, $28 | Ancient Kauri Wood Geo by Haley Ann, $156

Image above: Untitled by Paul Wackers, 2009, 24″ x 28″, $2500

Image above: I Wish I Had a River by Zoe Pawlak, 20″ x 26″, $950

Image above: Shannon Shaman Oil Painting by Katie Vida, 60″ x 40″, $1400

Image above: Butte Aux Canons by Alexandre Duret-Lutz, $13–$253 (options for posters, framed prints, canvas prints available)

Image above: A selection of art from Dwell Studio. The collection includes paintings, wall sculptures and one-of-a-kind vintage finds. If you have a larger budget, one of these pieces would make an incredible gift for an avid art collector.

1. Femke says:

What a gorgeous post – really love it!

2. Tara says:

What a wonderful gift guide! I love Clare Elsaesser’s work, glad to see it here!

3. Shari says:

Oh wow… i think i know what i want for Christmas… that Small Spica pendant light is looking mighty tempting!

4. emily says:

Great guide! One addition to the objects you might consider: http://www.etsy.com/shop/amandalynchsmith

5. mk says:

Never heard of Clare Elsaesser until now, but I just fell in love with that painting.

6. Abigail Bobo says:

I adore the ones at the top! So delicate and lovely :)

7. Irena says:

The first one would be great fom my living room :))

8. Amy says:

I looove those brass candleholders!

9. Evelyn M says:

Art is subjective (take it from me, I’m an artist and my favourite pieces of mine are never the first to sell, and some on my painting that I don’t particularily care for sell first), so my suggestion for purchasing art as a gift is to take the “giftee” out for coffee to a restauarant that hangs art on the wall. Watch to see which pieces the “giftee” is interested in and go back at a later time to purchase.
    Every holiday season I have a show in a restaurant. I find men seem to have that lightbulb moment when their significant other comments on one of my paintings. The men are always so excited when they phone me to purchase a piece that will be a complete – and happy – surprise to their wife, partner, parent, etc.

10. Liz Wain says:

I particular liked the Floral print by Pirooni. Was searching to find more work from this artist and cannot find any…

Please help. Thanks…Liz

11. Rose Duggan says:

Evelyn M – That’s a really good idea, thanks!
    Also, this round up is sooo good, I was all like girrrrrrrllll – nice roundup.

12. There’s some great fine art photography at affordable prices at eyebuyart.com too! :)

13. Also worth mentioning: http://society6.com/ has great prints and other goodies (stretched canvas prints, iphone cases, throw pillows). Prices are VERY affordable.

14. Nikko Moy says:

Thanks for including the work of Kia Neill! FYI we’ve been carrying Bryan Nash Gill’s prints for years now: http://www.ashesandmilk.com/bryan-nash-gill/

15. Evelyn M says:

I forgot to mention if anyone would like to check out my art you would have to go to my online fine art gallery at http://www.EvelynM.com. That’s because I’m up in Campbell River, a small city on the east coast of Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada. If you do check it out, go to the facebook page of http://www.Localhomespot.com and leave me a comment, since I’m an Interior Designer and artist, I have a Home and Garden Blog there. Thanks.

16. Amy says:

I love this guide! Thank you for including original artwork :)

17. angie says:

i wish i had i wish a had a river by zoe pawlak….