Sneak Peek: Katia Graeff & Family

Stylist Katia Graeff and her partner, Julien, a fellow stylist (but for clothes), live in Strasbourg, in eastern France. Their 914sf/85m2 apartment is located in an area that dates back to the 19th century, with the squeaky floors to prove it. Katia loves natural light and using white throughout their home as a sign of purity, while mixing in colors as a symbol of joy. Katia describes her partner as more “design,” while she prefers vintage and second-hand finds, but their two personalities work well together. In the four years they have lived here together, their home has seen multiple configurations, but then again, that is their field. You can find Katia’s latest work in textiles here, and her blog here. Thank you, Katia, and thanks to Estelle Hoffert for the photos! — Anne

Image above: The table is an extendable IKEA table that we repainted matte white (dulux valentine). The chairs are Eames, Moroso, Habitat and vintage. The horse, candlestick and mirror on the bookshelves were found at a flea market.

Image above: My partner fell in love with the Donna Wilson plates on the wall. The large mirror to the left leaning against the wall was a prototype that was presented as part of a collection for a former employer and that I was able to get for a good price!

More inside Katia’s home after the jump . . .

Image above: The coffee table is a spool recovered from a construction site that I painted white (dulux valentine). The highchair is a vintage piece. The sofa is covered with a white sheet that I change depending on my mood. The perpetual calendar ring is by Sebastian Bergne.

Image above: The poster is a vintage piece that we custom framed. The other frames are from flea markets. The wooden box was used in the ’50s to store grain for chickens!

Image above: An Indian deity of salvation who blesses all who enter our home.

Image above: I found this frame at the flea market, and the photo inside is by photographer David LaChapelle.

Image above: Our kitchen is a nod to the French West Indies. When my partner, who is West Indian, took me there, I was hooked by the incredible colors. I really wanted the kitchen to be a place where the atmosphere was lively and inviting.

Image above: [left] I hung bags and shopping bags on hooks from Ikea. [right] Aprons for lovers.

Image above: Newspaper rack from Emmaüs [France’s version of Goodwill].

Image above: The dresser, which I repainted white ivory, is full of antiques. My fabrics and sewing supplies are stored in the cupboards. The small ceramic bird perched on the dresser is from Habitat. The frames in the entryway are filled with a mixture of old illustrations and magazines.

Image above: Our office shelves and my partner’s toys at the top.

Image above: We are fans of shoes and had to find solutions for storage. Yes, each one is filled with shoes.

Image above: The wardrobe in my daughter’s room is a piece from my grandmother that I lacquered with floor paint. The table and chair date from the ’70s. My father gave it to me 40 years ago, and later refurbished it for my daughter. The picture on the wall is a canvas that I painted in 2006. To highlight the bird house, I painted a candy pink rectangle in the background. Overhead there is an origami paper lamp with cable thread.

Image above: We made the changing table ourselves with varnished pine that we set on a row of kitchen units. We use storage baskets to hold diapers and other baby accessories. The frames are from IKEA; they were raw pine and painted white for freshness. The illustrations are by Darling Clementine. We pinned our daughter Rose’s name to the wall with tiles we that brought back from our recent holiday in Majorca.

1. Sue says:

I love this house and I could live there even with as much white it has in it. I am not usually a fan of white but with all the pops of bright, happy color I could for sure love this house.

2. I love the idea of that flourescent kitchen, but I’m not sure if I could deal with it in real life for more than about a week…

3. Adriana says:

LOVE the decor!!!!! So bright!!! :)

4. Teresa says:

Loving the medallion on the ceiling. Even being of French design, I see a lot of this style of room here is Virginia, especially in Richmond where focus on ceilings is a huge deal. It is so true when they say “they don’t build them like this anymore”. Medallions and swirled plaster is a dying art. Why anyone would prefer popcorn ceilings is a mystery to me. Also liked seeing that I am not alone in my love of Bearbricks!

5. Heather says:

HUGE FAN! I LOVE the color / white. Photos are beautiful.

6. This home makes me happy…thanks for this Monday morning kickstarter.

7. Jess says:

This makes my eyes happy. :)

8. Hanna says:

Wonderful, the kitchen is so amazing!

9. tess says:

Great kitchen colors. VERY bold but it totally works.

10. Miluccia says:

very nice flat thanks!

11. Very nice reno. The kitchen colors plus Ikea goods really pop. Can you name the colors used? Thanks!

12. Designiz says:

Très joli, c’est un vrai artifice de couleurs !

13. June says:

Love the neon wall in the kitchen, I am inspired!

14. Eleanor says:

I love the brightness, color and eclecticism and lived-in-ness of this home. One of the things I love about old European apartments is that they make a great setting for modern pieces to contrast against.

15. Dina says:

My favorite house ever! Love the colors, the light, everything! Fantastic job!

16. Cindy says:

Love the colorful kitchen.

17. kimmi syren says:

I love all the color. And I absolutely LOVE the unstyled attitude of this family home.
    I am incredibly tired of the in vogue, but drab, murky shades in homes and stores, and the over styled ideas on home ideals that have invaded our lives via magazine and computer screen. We live in a colorful world ( even the winter months are full of color if we just look a little more closely ). Color really can brighten up our lives.

This is SUCH a HAPPY home. Makes me smile!

18. Bright, colourful, charming. I love your home!

19. Guido Ewertz says:

Looks like living in adream ;-) Have a nice Weekend !

20. Ashley says:

That cuckoo clock is kind of amazing, does anyone know the source for it?

21. marie says:

Yes anyone know where I can get that cuckoo clock?

22. miceman says:

Ashley and Marie , Cuckoo clock is from:

23. Diana says:

My kitchen ceiling is that same color of green. I have orange walls.