Objets Mécaniques

Nothing pleases me more than hearing from talented women who are running their own businesses; though, admittedly, I’m slightly more pleased when I hear that they’re running a woodworking business and doing an amazing job of it. When I was in college and wanted to design and build my own dorm furniture, I had an art teacher crinkle his nose at the request to learn more about woodworking. He said, “Why? Are you going to grow up and be a woodworker?” The idea didn’t seem so crazy to me, but he appeared to think that I didn’t have any business doing it. My second request was followed with the name and email of a male classmate who built furniture on the side. I guess it wasn’t crazy for him to build things. Thankfully, I didn’t listen to that teacher, and I ended up getting to experience the incredible sense of pride that comes from building something with your own two hands. So when I see other women doing the same thing, especially in a design niche that’s often dominated by men, it makes me feel good inside.

These beautiful cutting boards, planting boxes and the amazing headboard below are all from Objets Mécaniques, a Montreal-based woodshop. Designers Ariane and Ariane completed their master’s in architecture and started their own business this summer. This fall, they launched their Big Cartel shop, and now everyone can check out and enjoy their latest work. I’m pretty partial to those milk-paint-accented cutting boards, but that custom headboard (with book storage, see image after jump) is really my favorite. It’s smooth and rich and super functional to boot. You can’t lose with that combo. Objets Mécaniques updates their website with information regularly, and you can shop their smaller designs online right here. And, if you’re planning to be in the NYC area for the holidays, they’ll be selling their work at the Renegade Holiday Fair this year! Details are here — I know I’ll be there with bells on to meet these talented women. Thanks to Ariane and Ariane for reaching out! xo, grace

See more from Objets Mécaniques after the jump . . .

1. Sarah says:

I love that shelf hidden in the headboard! So much more elegant than the ikea solution. Way to go ladies!

2. Those cutting boards are fabulous!

3. Happy to hear they’re going to be at the Renegade Holiday Fair! Will definitely be looking for them to get one of their cutting boards.

4. Silke says:

What a great stuff you got there..mmm wood :)

5. Laura says:

Wow that book cubby is fantastic. It would completely free me up from the need to *always* have a bedside table

6. Andrew says:

Beautiful. Simple. Love.

7. I met these gals at a Montreal craft show this spring and completely fell in love with those cutting boards. I still dream of them and really should have grabbed one. Now I will! :)

8. Mary says:

GOOD FOR YOU for not listening. How silly.

9. Mariane says:

Wow love those product. On there site there is a beautiful set of wood houses for kids, I’ll definetly get a set for my son. Bravo les Ariane!

10. Tania says:

Love it all! I covet the boxes, would make wonderful stacked storage in my “home office”, aka the corner of my bedroom. I’m showing these pics as inspiration to my carpenter BF although he hates making furnishings, he prefers to build houses ;-)

11. I am lucky enough to live in an area where a gorgeous woman by the name of Patt Gregory has been running woodwoking classes for women for years. She eats, breathes and lives woodwork and empowers hundreds of women each year with her classes. There is an interview with her here http://verybyron.com.au/interviews/conversations-we-had-in-2011/patt-gregory-woodworker/ and you can check out her site here http://www.woodworkforwomen.com/

12. dana says:

I love woodworking! This stuff is great, and makes me wish I had more time and more access to tools. That headboard is fabulous!