Before & After: Cabin Renovation

I think a lot of us share a dream of buying and fixing up a little cabin in the woods, but I’m sure that if that dream became a reality, the process of renovating a full home would not be without its stresses or struggles. Long before I pursue such an undertaking, I want plenty of inspiring examples to turn to for help, and this cabin renovation will definitely be high on my list of references. Sarah Sherman Samuel, a designer and the creative director of Smitten Studio, has been slowly but surely transforming this small cabin in Michigan. She’s made sure to keep the space calming, clean and modern but not without personality. I love that each room sports a fun, bold pattern, such as big polka dots or chevron stripes, which are then anchored by elegant neutrals and contrasting lights and darks. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the space turns out. Thanks for sharing, Sarah! — Kate

Read the full post after the jump . . .

Time: 5 months

Cost: Doing everything ourselves (with some big help from my parents and a few friends ), we saved A TON of money, so we estimate that what would have been a $50–60K renovation we have done for around $25K (for the entire cabin).

Basic Steps: When we first saw the sad, tiny structure, all we saw was its potential and the amazing land that it was set on. I immediately started making plans, designing and prepping for a full DIY renovation. We started on the outside, tearing off the old siding, replacing old doors, putting up new siding and then repainting. Once inside, we tore everything out down to the bare studs and down to the subfloor. The only things we kept were the old windows (I couldn’t part with the character of them), the previous owner’s sofas and the light fixture over the dining table. We then insulated the walls, re-ran electrical, re-did all the plumbing, and dry-walled. When removing all the old building materials, we saved anything that we could repurpose, like the wood from the old bunk beds for example, which we used to make a cabinet door and to frame out one of the closets.

Our home in LA is full of color, so I wanted to make our little beach cabin a retreat. Bright, white and fairly Spartan would describe the look I was going for. I did this by painting the new walls, ceiling and trim all the same white color. We then laid wood laminate flooring that brings warmth to the space. We also brought in a vintage Arthur Umanoff wood dining set from the ’50s (from around the same time the cabin was built) to bring in some historical authenticity and more natural elements.

In the bedroom, there were originally two sets of identical bunk beds. We tore them both out when drywalling the space and then only rebuilt one set, leaving a place on the other side of the room for a standard bed. We also removed a set of shelves that took up a ton of space, put in a new ceiling and wallpapered one wall.

Our advice to someone tackling a major DIY renovation would be not to be afraid to just give things a try. I think so many projects sound way daunting. Like, I never thought I would be re-siding a house or installing wood flooring with my own hands . . . but once you get into it, like most projects, you realize it isn’t so hard, and it is actually SO satisfying to see something you have done yourself make such a big difference in your home. Also, who cares if you make a few mistakes? I think the imperfections show the work and the hand behind it. — Sarah

Living Room
Paint Color: Gray Whisper by Dutch Boy
Floors: Tarkett
Sisal Rug: Rugs USA
Cow Hide: Street vendor in LA
Lamps: Ballard Designs
Curtains: A repurposed photo backdrop from one of my parties that my mom sewed into curtains
Coffee Table: Home Decorators
Badger Pillow: Donna Wilson
Patio Doors: Jeldwen

Paint Color: Gray Whisper by Dutch Boy
Wallpaper: Cole & Sons
Cow Hide Rug: Ikea
Bedding: Ikea
Wall Sconces: Restoration Hardware
Bed: Target

1. Delaney says:

I love the way the bunk beds have curtains – I wold have loved that as a kid!

2. Andrea says:

Bright, clean and warm. I’d like to snuggle up in front of the fireplace and read a great book, with freshly fallen snow outside. A hot cocoa by my side and all would be well with the world!

3. Kate says:

I’m in love with that dining set. Great choices throughout!

4. Alex says:

I’ve been following this renovation on Sarah’s blog and it’s wonderful to see it all together! so nice and simple!

5. Laura Simms says:

Beautiful renovation. Loving the badger pillow!

6. Candi says:

Great job! I like the idea of painting everything all white….it pulls it together in way where it is possible to switch-out different accessories for an entirely different look. Very nice!

7. rinna says:

lovely clean and simple, I could relax here :-) Is that a Donna Wilson fox cushion?

8. rinna says:

I mean badger not fox…too much city living!

9. Wow! The wooden floors really change everything!

10. Paige says:

Are the kitchen cabinets/countertops Ikea?

11. Theresa Cowan says:

where are the dining chairs and table from…amazing!!

12. Amy says:

LOVE the flooring and the bunk beds-they are retreat all on their own!

13. Jan says:

Lovely job!

14. love the built in bunkbeds and the use of white throughout the home!

15. This is gorgeous, i even like the “before” shots! Love those clean white couches, unfortunately with a dog who can’t stay off the couch, i’d have a hard time keeping these clean. Dying over the large polka dot sheets!!

16. Thank you for all the kind words!
    Paige: the countertops are from Ikea, but the cabinets are not
    Theresa: the dining set is vintage
    Rinna, ha yes Donna wilson… love

You can get all the details on my blog :) Thanks Kate for the feature.

17. Wow! It”s amazing what a whole lot of white paint and a great eye for details can do. I love the fireplace, the little bunks with green curtains, the sparse yet surprisingly warm kitchen…just lovely.

18. meredith says:

love it…so calming + cozy. can i ask where the brass floor lamps are from? love them.

19. Anne Z. says:

Cutest cabin ever. Congrats on snatching this place up and making it yours.

20. Migena says:

I love the simplicity and coziness, but most of all, I want that coffee table. Where is that from?

21. Priscilla says:

Stunning transformation! I love it all!

22. Rachael says:

I love the crisp white with warm neutrals and punches of pattern. Very well done!

23. Kiki says:

beautiful, serene, calming and utterly convincing. what i like best is your ATTITUDE….. absolutely agree, who cares if not everythingy is perfect – it’s YOUR work and your project and you did great! I wd draw the line where security and safety are concerned. I wd never touch electricity and plumbing but then I’m swiss and we are not allowed to touch anything that could come ‘alive’ and cause damage…. :)

24. Polly says:

I love all the monochrome! So lovely. The bunk beds are adorable, and I love that pop of orange on the sofa from the Donna Wilson cushion x

25. Amy Keller says:

It really is the perfect cabin! A true retreat from hectic LA.

26. Loora says:

Wow… this is just… wow…

27. Great job. Love the birch in the bedroom. Was it the same color white paint used through the whole house?

28. Vania Pinto says:

Ideias lindas! E práticas…

29. Janet says:

Very nice and peaceful space, wondering where the sofas are from. Nice and simple.

30. Janet says:

Beautiful, simple spaces. Where are the sofas from?

31. Lauren says:

I discovered Sarah’s blog a few weeks ago and have loved the befores and afters she shares. Great to see it all together here – it looks stunning x

32. emily says:

I love the rug! Do you have the style name from Rugs USA?

33. Tora says:

Great choice to install warm wood flooring and then replicate that in the countertops! I love the update – makes it look so much more cohesive, clean, calm, and cozy!

34. Clare White says:

I would like to see more Kitchen pictures. I like the simplicity of white color. Great job!

35. Jenni Ozella says:

This before & after is totally hitting the spot for me. I live in a small apartment right now, but when we get a house, this is the kind of thing I’d love to do. Simplly awesome

36. Sue says:

Except for all the white I love this place. I just don’t understand using so much white. My favorite is the bunk beds. But I love the new floor and the kitchen. The kitchen looked so dark and small before but now it is opened up.