I feel incredibly fortunate to work with all of the people in my life, but I feel especially lucky to know and work with the incredible ALSO team: Matt Lamothe, Julia Rothman and Jenny Volvovski. Watching their work grow and change over the years (they designed the last two versions of D*S as well as Design*Sponge at Home) has been fascinating and their team efforts on books like The Exquisite Book are nothing short of game-changing. Their creative pursuits lead them to a fascinating new book that was just released called The Where, the Why, and the How: 75 Artists Illustrate Wondrous Mysteries of Science.
Inspired by the mysteries of the natural world, Julia, Matt and Jenny invited both artists and scientists to explain (and illustrate) the answers to some truly creative- and intriguing- questions. Questions like, “”Why Do Whales Sing?”, “What Existed Before the Big Bang?” and “Do Trees Talk to Each Other?” are answered in essay form by leading scientists and then accompanied by illustrations that expand and explain the text. Artists like Lisa Congdon, Jon Klassen, Ole Tillmann, Jen Corace and Camilla Engman (along with 70 others) contributed stunning pieces for the book- the result is a fusion of art and science that feels seamless and educational at the same time. If you’re curious about some of the natural world’s biggest questions, I hope you’ll check out The Where, the Why, and the How at your local book store. We just got our copy yesterday and it’s really something special. Congrats to Matt, Jenny and Julia on another amazing book and to all of the contributors who made it so fantastic. Click here to check out the book online and order a copy ($14.67). xo, grace
*If you’re in the NYC area, there’s a book launch party for the book on Thursday, October 11th at Powerhouse Arena in DUMBO. Details are here and after the jump.
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:
- Must Read: Blog, Inc. Book Trailer!
- After the Jump: Ashley English Interview (mp3)
- Biz Ladies: DIY Online Display Advertisement
- Dorm Living: The Essentials
- DIY Projects: Hostess Gift: A Hand-Tied Bouquet, Patterned Picnic Blanket, Tiered Hanging Pots
- Sneak Peeks: Best of Textile Wall Hangings, Lisa Neimeth, Molly & Robert Josiah Bingaman
- Human/House/Harvey: Geometric
- Before & After: Recycled Lamp Mirror, Living Room Transformation
- In the Kitchen With: Yvette Van Boven’s Luxurious Gingerbread
- Behind the Bar: Erin Gleeson’s Beer Float
- Current Obsessions: Constellation Mania
- Ephemera Obsession: Pink Pearl Eraser
- Inspiration Library: Scottish Country
- Entertaining: Bones + Blood Halloween Invites
- Sound Garden: Songs in the Key of Life
- Misc.: Jane Rovers, Tech-Out Your Bathroom, Mae Engelgeer Tea Towels, Lonely Houses by Happy Red Fish, Winner’s Wreath, Crystal Bulbs, The March Collective, Fiber Lab, Birch Sake Vessels
More images from Where Why How continue after the jump!