sneak peek: steve and kalah kren

Steve and Kalah Kren have lived in this 1905 farmhouse in Nampa, just outside of Boise, Idaho for three years with their three young children, Jack (7) Halle (5) and Sophie (2). Given that it is a farmhouse, they knew they didn’t want to style it with just country pieces. Kalah describes their personal style as an eclectic mix of modern country with hints of Scandinavian design. The nearly four acres of land also means the family loves spending time in their yard which is full of wonderful fruit trees. Kalah is fortunate to spend her days as a home-maker. The children learn responsibility through their chores helping take care of the chickens, game birds, yard work and working on new projects. Steve is an electrical contractor with his own business, and it’s extremely handy having him around in such an old house, as there is always something to fix or renovated. Thanks to Steve and Kalah for sharing their home, Joyce Alexander for the beautiful photos, and styling by Kirsten Grove! Anne

Image above: This round table is my favorite piece of furniture in our house. My husband and his grandfather made it together. I found the base at a yard sale.  My husband sand blasted and powder coated it. It’s 6 ft round and fits perfectly for our family of five. Both chairs and light are from West Elm.

Click for more inside Steve and Kalah’s stunning farmhouse after the jump!

Image above: Before we moved in, this room and the dining room had orange shag carpet and popcorn ceilings. We found these original hardwood floors under the carpet and had them re-done.  We also gave the room a fresh coat of paint. The paint is called Frost from Behr at Home Depot. Almost every peice in this room has been purchased through Craigslist or a consignment store, including the couch, coffee table and credenza.

Image above: This is one of the door knobs that leads into our master bedroom. We love to purchase our door knobs from Anthropologie.  We’ve put a different knob on each door.  We think it gives each room a special touch as you enter.

Image above: These pieces of art in my kids room are super special to me.  My talented brother Jeremiah Hagler from designed and created them. He’s an artistic genius!

Image above: My husband and I completely renovated this bathroom.  It was out dated and unusable. It has full white subway tile wainscoat that carries into a full subway tile shower. The vanity is custom built walnut with marble countertops. We were hoping to achieve a timeless look.

Image above: We restored the door and transom, striping layers of white paint to reveal beautiful wood.

Image above: Another feature that I love about our home is the wrap around porch.  The character of the white columns and moldings are stunning. This is my favorite place to sit in the mornings in the summertime. I found these great chairs and white planter, that is full of succulents, at Ikea last year.

Image above: We have lots of old buildings surrounding our home, including a very old barn that seems to attract a lot of photographers looking for places to shoot. The farm is surrounded by a huge assortment of fresh flowers. Each new season brings up new types of flowers. Peonies and tulips in the spring, a huge variety of roses during the summer and mums and dahlias during the fall. My vases are always full.

1. Val says:

This is such a beautiful, welcoming place! Thanks for letting us in! What are the countertops made from? They are lovely!

2. how2home says:

Nice tour! I love the simplicity of this home and some of the small details in the house are amazing. The door knob is fabulous!

3. What an incredible home! I would find a way to stay at home as well if I could spend my days there!

4. This home is a dream! Bravo!

5. ethanollie says:

that door! just beautiful

6. Loving this whimsical mix…
    I especially love the table base in Steve and Kalah’s dining area. It’s so beautiful and unique.

7. Anitra Sweet says:

This is my favorite! Love every room!

8. Rose Duggan says:

I don’t know how I would get through Mondays without D*S Sneak Peeks :)

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Awwww – thanks so much, Rose! That’s lovely to hear! -Amy

9. ranae says:

I’m dying to know what the outside of the house looks like. Farmhouses fee the most like home even though I’ve never lived in one.

10. Sara L. says:

So pretty!! It reminds me of a home that I grew up in near Stockholm.

11. Robin says:

Beautiful! This is such a fun house to visit and Steve and Kalah throw great parties!

12. Amanda says:

details,details details……you have perfected them. (that headboard has me swooning)
    i am with rose….thanks for such inspiration design sponge, you do your jobs well.

13. Thank you for the lovely tour of Steve and Karan’s home. It is truly a charming oasis and and an inviting space they’ve created in the country.

14. Kalah kren says:

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!! And thanks design sponge for allowing us to be part of the sneak peek!!

15. Kristen says:

LOVE everything! Where did you find the light over the kitchen table?

16. Kalah kren says:

Kristen, I got the light from west elm:)

17. Jonny says:

Beautiful home, I want that lamp on the Sideboard!

18. Jana says:

I absolutely love your house ! Your dining room has one wall darker and the rest is lighter. Would you please share the dining room paint colors? Thank you very much! You have a beautiful taste!!!

19. PhillyLass says:

Oh, man. I have dining table envy. Front door envy. Door knob envy. This place is so sweet and special. I’m in love with all of it.

20. Carole says:

A wonderful home. Love that front door, and love that fabulous doorknob! I like the idea of adding a different knob to each door.

21. amber says:

i love the door knob too! where does one find a keyhole plate like the one that your knob is attached to? i have had no luck!