sneak peek: caitlin wilson textiles

by

Caitlin Wilson is lucky enough to work on design projects all over the country, but she works out of her Philadelphia home. After her husband Brigham’s job took them overseas for a couple years, he’s now a student at the Wharton School of Business, and together they run Caitlin’s textile line and interior design business. (Having two great assistants also means that they can keep up with their kids, three-year-old Olivia and six-month-old Penn). They live in an old building, so Caitlin wanted the furniture to be classic with a twist, with details like English rolled arms, tufts and feminine silhouettes paired with bold colors and patterns. Over time, Caitlin’s style has evolved from modern to eclectic and now more traditional. Thanks to their travels, the family has a collection of quirky pieces from the Middle East and Asia, which clearly have influenced Caitlin’s patterns, as well. You can read more about Catilin’s business in the summer issue of Matchbook. Many thanks to Caitlin, Rachel and to Courtney Apple for the photos! — Anne

Image above: Our master bedroom is painted in Benjamin Moore’s Classic Grey. I had the headboard custom made to showcase the Fleur Chinoise in Berry pattern from my textile collection. The array of pillows include Coral Fretwork and Berry signature pillow shams from my collection with Garnet Hill monogrammed linens. Our night tables are an Ikea hack, painted with gold/acrylic knobs.

Image above: Our coral linen couch is the heart of the living room; it creates a perfect pop and is brought to life with pillows from my collection. The Gold Chevron pillow will be available in my 2012 Holiday collection! A Thom Filicia rug, Chinese brass lamps, and a mid-century marble and brass bamboo eBay table finish off the room.

See more inside Catilin’s home after the jump . . .

Image above: I wanted to spice up our galley kitchen with a fun gallery wall for Olivia. I painted the back wall with chalkboard paint and hung frames and bulldog clips for displaying artwork. We replaced the old linoleum with my favorite cheap flooring fix, Armstrong vinyl tile in Crescendo. The leopard chairs were a DIY with Sharpie on solid cream Ikea chairs.

Image above: We moved to Philly on a student budget, so I scored this huge dining table and chairs off Craigslist. I reupholstered the chairs and added a pair of old wingbacks slipcovered in my signature fabric, Navy Fleur Chinoise. The chandelier was bought in Manhattan’s lighting district, and we purchased the buffet from Home Decorators Collection. My parents kindly loaned us the artwork to remind us of our home state of California.

Image above: I custom designed the drapes to frame our center city Philadelphia view.

Image above: Our IKEA Billy bookcase is filled with quirky curiosities we’ve collected from around the world. The brass figures are from Hollywood Road in Hong Kong, and the framed butterfly is from Dubai.

Image above: Our foyer is painted in Key Largo Green by Benjamin Moore. We purchased the mirror from Joss & Main, and I hand-painted the ampersand canvas as a fun DIY project.

Image above: Olivia’s room is painted in Gentle Butterfly by Benjamin Moore, the perfect hue for any little girl’s room. We had the Roman shades custom made, and we repurposed a coffee table to create a pint-sized desk painted in Valspar Hint of Mint. The chevron rug is from RUGS USA, and the Moroccan pouf was purchased at a market in Dubai!

Image above: The Laurence Amelie tutu painting from Bonpoint was the first piece of artwork we ever bought. It fits perfectly (and high above) Livi’s art table to inspire creativity! Her child-sized table is from Pottery Barn Kids alongside a Home Decorators Collection bookshelf.

Image above: Olivia and I both love a good art project, so we keep our supplies out and readily available. These Pinterest-inspired DIY mason jars are a great way to make art supplies double as décor.

Image above: My home office is such a fun place to work! It’s filled with the vibrant fabrics from my textile line, creating a naturally bright and cheerful environment.

Image above: I found the perfect butterfly wallpaper by Nina Campbell to create a unique backdrop and tie all the colors in my office together. The roman shades are CWT Jade Byblos. The desk is a table I found on Craigslist without the leaf, the Greek key cabinets are an Ikea hack, chairs are Kartell Louis Ghost chairs, and the lamp is Chinese brass that we purchased at a market in Dubai.

Image above: The slipcovered office sofa is another successful Craigslist find, pairing it with a pretty World’s Away side table. The rug is Starck.

Image above: Our pair of mirrors in the bedroom were a steal from Home Goods.

Image above: The camel tufted leather loveseat is a hand-me-down from my parents. It was actually bought the year I was born, and it is still in great shape! Another World’s Away gold table and lots of framed pictures of family, friends, and our 14 years of memories together.

1. Kim says:

This is wonderful and such an inspiration!!! It just goes to show you dont have to spend a fourtune on furniture to have a super cute place :)

Kim

azulhome.com

2. Barbara says:

Fresh and fun! Living’ the dream!

3. Lesley says:

Love the RAST hack – what color is the paint & where did she get those knobs? Gorgeous home, one of my faves!

4. Your home is a feminine wonderland! I love, love, love your fabrics. The colors, the light, the whimsy…that butterfly wallpaper is perfect. Lovely home.

5. So fantastic to see her home, after admiring her textiles all these years!! Love the colors and the dreamy, pretty environment she’s created!

6. Kim says:

I’m so inspired by your place! I’m a lover of textiles and yours are gorgeous!

7. Kendrah says:

What a bright home. I love your DIY leopard chairs and shocked that vinyl flooring can look so fantastic. Just moved to Philly and am having a hard time finding an apartment or condo with nice vintage bones. May I ask what neighborhood your home is in? Rittenhouse?

8. Ericka says:

When your family moves out, can I please move in? Can you leave the furniture for me?

9. Jodie Hickman says:

I love everything about your space. I especially love your soft color fabrics!

10. Very beautiful home. Wonderful colours. I think I’m in love with the fabric headboard.

11. studiobmk says:

abolutely amazing!!!! love the colourful fabrics!!

12. Lyndsay says:

This is waaaaay to girly for me, but I love it at the same time?!

13. zms says:

I adore the colour palette, such a meditative space. The painting of the white (wedding?) dress is beautiful.

14. Mindi says:

Beautiful! I have to ask where the coral linen fabric on the couch can be found?

15. debbie craig says:

How inspiring…love your home…I am a styling/home decorating blogger trying to work a business out of my home..Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. No one seems to want to share their secrets..haha I know there are people who make a profit out of their blogs, just not sure where to start.
    I have a good sense of style and people skills, just trying to make alittle money and do it out of my home as well

16. Ms. Stewart says:

OMG that sofa!!!!!!! Where is it from? I absolutely love it and I have been looking for one in that color that comfy FOREVER!!!!!

17. Dr sunita k says:

All pics are beautiful.planing for my home..

18. Shanice says:

This looks amazing!

19. Linda says:

I love all of thise and love cuddling with my six kids and dog and can’t forget nick I love this wish it showed more

1. Linda says:

Haha so true I am planing my home