wool dry mop

I’ll be honest; I loathe mops. Because I don’t own a washer/dryer and don’t have the ability to quickly wash and disinfect them, I avoid them like the plague because they seem like big wet dirt depositories. But every now and then I see one with a cute handle or pattern, and I reconsider my ban (which I prefer to label a “Swiffer Support System”). This gorgeous wool mop is made by the Slack Dust Mop Company, a fourth-generation family business based in Vermont. Designed for dry use only, this wool mop naturally attracts dust and lint (like a wool sweater) and lets it go with a good shake outdoors (the head can easily be removed because of a Velcro attachment). What I love most, though, is the colorful mop portion. Made by hand with wool carpet remnants and repurposed poplar wood, each mop looks like a festival of colorful thread. It’s certainly a lot prettier than a Swiffer cleaner. If you’re interested in checking one out in more detail (or ordering online), you can visit them online at Kaufmann Mercantile right here ($32 each).

1. Corrie Anne says:

That is beautiful!! I wonder if it would help with my dog hair situation!

2. No Way! This mop is awesome! Im a chronic swifferer ( which has been weighing on my environmental conscience) This would be a great way to be a little bit more green and might add an enjoyable element to my cleaning routine! Thanks Grace!

3. angie says:

What a brilliant use of yarn waste. I love it and love that it is made by hand in Vermont. All things in our home should be so beautiful.

4. Amanda says:

my grandma had a mop JUST like this while I was growing up. I know its weird to be nostalgic about a mop but she was a very diligent house keeper! Thank you so much for finding this- I’m ordering one today (and pumped to have one for my own home)!

5. Becca Blue says:

I’m trying to live by “if it isn’t beautiful, I don’t want it in my home” (which I hope doesn’t sound trite…but life is too short to waste time (and money!) on objects that don’t make you happy….) here is a PERFECT example. Not just a mop- but something that will make you smile when you pull it out of the closet. (And perhaps…just perhaps use it more?) Thank you!

6. Rebecca Eff says:

I don’t use a mop either for the same reasons you’ve mentioned. But I do use what I affectionately called the ghetto-swiffer: I take a hand towel and soak it in warm water, wring it out, lay it out length wise, lay a long sticked broom across it and wrap the ends around it and then butterfly clip the ends to the base of the handle. The floors don’t get super soaked and when you’re done you can rinse it out or soak it (bleach or vinegar) and hang to dry for the next dirty floor.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Rebecca – That’s what all the French ladies do! :) When I went to visit a friend in Paris, this was how she cleaned. You should call it your French chic way of mopping! xo Amy

7. Lori says:

Oh! I’m thinking I need to DIY one of these with my yarn scraps that I can’t seem to part with (but are too short to knit with).

8. Gigi says:

This might sound a little overboard…but I thought this mop was so beautiful that I added it to my wedding registry! Definitely works for my tough parameters on what goes on there. Beautiful, functional, unexpected and affordable. Thank you D*S!