sneak peek: yoda hidemi

Yoda Hidemi is a handbag designer specializing in custom-made wallets, bags and accessories inspired by old books. Part of her process is actually designing these imaginary books and adapting them into functional pieces. It was no surprise to see that her apartment, located in Chiba, Japan, displays her passion for antiques, ornamentation and historical reference. She describes her decor as a mix of both Western and Eastern styles. From the antique Japanese screen and traditional tea set to the odalisque print and rich textiles, she blends the two aesthetics seamlessly, achieving a look that is both opulent and restrained. Thank you, Yoda! — Shannon

Image above: My style is a mix of Western and Eastern styles — some of the decor is very ornate and textural, while other areas of my home are very minimal and clean. The peacock fan and turbaned odalisque are a couple of my favorite details in this room.

Image above: I love Indian textiles and have a couple here in my living room. The British flag pillow was purchased in England, and the other pillows I made myself. I also love decorating with plants, specifically because of their beautiful silhouettes and colors.

See more of Yoda’s Japanese home after the jump . . .

Image above: I bought the step stool while in Europe.

Image above: This beautiful sculpture is actually a magnet attached to the fridge. I got it from a Gashapon (toy machines that dispense toys in capsules), which Japanese kids love. You can find them in various places, such as amusement arcades and supermarkets. I got it in a supermarket near my home.

Image above: I love cut glass. I use LED bulbs to save energy.

Image above: I cook a lot in this kitchen. I also like to brew tea; my favorites are from Fortnum & Mason, and I also like Chinese tea.

Image above: The lampshade in the corner of the room is one of my creations! I like to reset my mind and body when I sleep, so I tend to keep my bedroom pretty minimal compared to other rooms in my home.

Image above: This is an antique Japanese screen that I bought from an antique shop. It’s rare that you would see one of these in a modern Japanese home; they are more often found in traditional Japanese homes where art and culture are revered.

Image above: This is another one of my creations. To make this lamp, I enlarged pages of an old book and attached them to an IKEA lamp.

1. I love how cozy, yet put together everything is. That ruffled bedskirt is so fun.

2. karoline says:

LOVE the indian textiles. beautiful home

3. how2home says:

Very cozy and homey. Also, I love how each of the sneak peaks has a photo of “what i love most about…” cute tradition!

4. isabelle says:

Something very comforting about this place.

5. Miss Heliotrope says:

I like.

6. Kiana says:

The lamp with the book pages is so clever! I’m sending that image to my friend’s daughter who is a big reader. She’d love it!

7. Alzyna says:

The deliberate use of Oriental motifs in your living room makes it look so decadent, yet so functional. And I absolutely revere the feeling of peace that comes from the whites and grays in the rest of the rooms. The bedroom does look like it could solace worn out souls. ;)

8. Zara says:

I love the rug! Could you share some more details about it please?