sneak peek: sarah + rupert

If a project involves aesthetics, there’s a pretty good chance that Sarah Sherman Samuel can do it. She’s the creative director at Greenroom, where she designs paper products, and she works as a freelance designer from her home studio where she also writes, shoots and styles for her blog, Smitten Studio. She even took the photos for this peek, including the portrait of her and her husband, Rupert Samuel, who is the head of production and partner at Goodness Mfg. With their two dogs, Pikku and Cracker, they’ve made this Los Angeles loft home for the past four years. The couple gravitates toward a mid-century modern aesthetic, but they like to mix it up with industrial and modern pieces. They wanted their home to reflect their personality and feel as though pieces had been collected over time. While decorating, they tried to only buy pieces that they absolutely loved, which takes a bit longer than furnishing a space out of necessity. But the result was worth the wait. — Amy Azzarito

Photographs by Sarah Sherman Samuel

Image above: Our bedroom paint color is Behr’s “Peaceful Night.” The nightstands are a DIY Ikea hack weekend project, and the bed is from West Elm. The little frame on the nightstands holds a heart-shaped pressed leaf that Rupert found and gave to me.

Image above: We found the set of six Danish dining chairs at the Long Beach Flea Market, which, aside from a missing spindle in the back of one, were in great condition.

See more of Sarah and Rupert’s home after the jump . . .

Image above: This is my home studio space where I can often be found designing and creating into the night. My bulletin board is full of inspiration for a party I recently designed along with a few fabric swatches from my own line of products that is in the works.

Image above: The botanical prints are from The Evolution Store in NYC. The desk is from Anthropologie. The paint color is Behr “Amazon Stone.” The library sign is from Three Potato Four, and we picked up the coffee table from another flea market. The shelves are made of African Mahogany, which was another DIY project in the house, along with the filing cabinet/credenza underneath. I also had trouble finding a perfect worktable to go in front of the window, so I ended up making that, as well. My dad is an amazing wood worker, and his passion has definitely rubbed off on me.

Image above: The tea towels were a favorite wedding gift. We snagged both the scale and mirror that sit above the sink at an antique shop in Wyoming, and we framed that Tartan fruit label after finding it at the Rose Bowl Flea Market.

Image above: The wall color in the living space is Behr’s “Smokey Slate.” The art wall in the living room is a mix of paintings, illustrations, prints, band posters, photographs, and maps that each has a little story or special significance to us. Rupert is originally from England, so we have a few pieces that pay homage to that, as well as some maps and photos of where I grew up in Michigan. My favorite is a little portrait that Rupert drew of me on a paper tablecloth at a local tapas restaurant. I tore it out to keep not because it was so good but because of the opposite. It is definitely less than flattering. Who knew he thought that my nose was almost the same size as my head! Either way, every time I look at that, I remember a fun night over dinner together.

Image above: This is Pikku (which means “tiny” in Finnish), one of our two dogs, posing pretty for the camera in our bedroom.

Image above: The burl wood side table is another Rose Bowl Flea Market find. A Jonathan Adler vase and Heath Ceramics bud vase sit on top along with a few wallpaper city guides. I have a pretty good collection of these city guides in hopes of traveling to each of the places featured. They also are great color swatches in and of themselves.

Image above: It was love at first site when we walked into the empty townhouse for the first time. It was a blank slate, and from the moment I walked into the door, I started decorating the space in my head, picturing where everything would go. We loved the clean, modern loft look of the space, and since it was a new construction, we even got to choose some of the finishes like the dark hardwood floors. We love the light that comes into the space from the floor-to-ceiling windows. There is also a unique glass walkway on the second story that enables light to flood in from the skylight above all the way down to the ground floor.

Image above: We found this vintage trunk at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, and it now functions as shoe storage.

1. I love everything about this place!

2. I adore that upper loft space…the cheery colour palette is delightful!
    And that rooftop garden…blows any “backyard” out of the water. It’s gorgeous.

3. boskybelle says:

Wow-the color choices are amazing, and the dark floors work with them beautifully.

4. Plein Jane says:

5. how2home says:

Completely in love with this home!

6. Mari says:

gorgeous home. what inspiration!

i absolutely adore the dotted pencil holder. may i ask where you purchased it?

7. Leila says:

Where is the dining table from? I love it! I also really like the desk, was that another flea market find?

8. Anne says:

I have lots of happy memories from time spent in this beautiful space with these two amazing people. Congrats on creating such a special home, Sarah & Rupe. xo

9. Mari – I actually made that pencil holder from a dollar store drinking glass! Maybe I’ll get a little DIY post together for it.

10. Leila – The Dining table is from a store in LA called Room Service and the desk is from Anthropologie a few years back.

11. Thanks Amy for the feature! and thanks all for the sweet comments. :)

12. Michelle Guerrero says:

love love love! BRAVO KIDS!

13. Kara says:

WOW! Adorable couple and adorable home. Thanks for revealing all the paint colors on your walls. Those are sure to be copied soon!

14. JillBetty says:

So different from my normal taste and so pretty! I love all of the personal artwork–so jealous of your ability to create!

15. Sandra says:

Great home and love your sense of style –personal touches everywhere. May I ask where you purchased your curtains or the fabric to make them?
    Congratulations on your abode : – )

16. Ali says:

I wish I could find great furniture at flea markets in the Philly area! Usually it’s junk or way too pricey.

17. Laura says:

Really great design, colors, and layout! It’s interesting without being cluttered, and colorful without being garish. Except those pink pants- which are a little bright for me, but look fabulous on you! =)

18. Jessica says:

Love it! Sarah, is that an ikea desk in your studio? If not, where did you find it…I’ve been looking for ne just like it!

19. hey Sandra, Thanks! I made the curtains with fabric from Ikea. :)

20. allison egan says:

What a lovely home!! I love the eclectic, layered feel mixed with mid century mod pieces – just fantastic!

21. Nikki Clarkson says:

Please could I ask where the bed cover is from with the bird on it. I am redocrating my daughter’s bedroom and she would love this. You should be very proad you have created a beautiful home.

22. Jeff Smitayyy says:

Beautiful! I’d like to book the rooftop lounge for drinks on the evening of October 4th.

23. Amy Keller says:

Beautiful! Sarah, you are sooooo talented.

24. shannon says:

I love the rooftop area! Perfect for a cocktail. Sweet pink pants!

25. Kim says:

I love, love, love your home! Could you please tell me where the sunburst mirror in the bedroom is from? I have been searching for a mirror exactly like this for months! Thank you!

26. Bunnie says:

So well done – beautiful and liveable. Would love to know what the ceiling is like in the bedroom. Is the ceiling white or a color? Re-doing our bedroom and am not sure what to do for the ceiling. Kudos on the great designs.

27. Leslie says:

I love the bedroom wall color. So pretty!

28. Hi Nikki, Thank you! The bedroom duvet is from Dwell Studio

29. Hi Kim, The sunburst mirror is from a store in LA called Plantation. They still have it online too!

30. Hi Bunnie, Thank you! Our ceiling in the bedroom is white. Hope that helps. :)

31. Mari says:

Thank you, Sarah! A DIY post on the pencil holder would be neat!

32. Rachel says:

Great space! I love the desk, paint colors and textiles too!

33. Nadia says:

Love the crispness in colours, the design in furniture and I adore the painting in the living room! gorgeous

34. Gina says:

Hi, your house is fabulous! What is the color of paint in your bedroom please.

35. rachel says:

36. Oh my goodness. I love every single shot of this home! Especially the studio. And the yellow chairs. And the trunk under the stairs. Just… everything.

37. Kelly says:

Perfect. Bedroom copy pending…

38. I was looking for interior decorating blogs and stumbled across yours. I’m so glad I did – I’m really enjoying your posts!

I absolutely love this house! I also like the fact that they said they made sure to buy the items they were really in love with. Oftentimes, I get in a hurry and don’t really spend the time looking around and just buy the first think I see.

39. I love the “bits and bobs” but especially that they are styled well and don’t overwhelm the design of the home. Beautiful!

40. Rachel says:

I love your house, and also you have inspired me to go shopping for neon jeans.

41. KMP says:

What I love about this home is that it is actually designed for humans….not statues!….It has a warmth to it … some amazing features ….some tiny flaws ….. a lot of light and a lot of character!!….I love the outcome!

42. anna says:

Lovely home! We have been searching for a credenza like you have in your living wood and white combo…could you share where that is from?

43. Lisa says:

I would also love to know where the white and wood credenza is from….it’s pretty much exactly what I’ve been searching for!

Beautiful home!

44. Chelsey C. says:

This space is amazing! I seriously love EVERYTHING in it! Btw, where is that brass piggy bank from? I’m a sucker for brass animals :)

45. Alex says:

Your place looks amazing! Could you tell me what paint color that is for the Studio space? I just moved in a new place and have been looking for great colors.

46. Ingrid says:

Another person swooning! I wonder if you’d be kind enough to let me know in which fabric your bedroom chairs are upholstered. It’s very much what I’m looking for!
    Kind regards from the UK

47. Darlene Addesso says:

I love everything you did in your townhouse.
    It’s fantastic.
    So how are all the Samuel’s?
    Please send me your address before it won’t fit anymore.
    love and happiness to all
    darlene and lou