sneak peek: amelie mancini of left field cards

A couple weeks ago, when Max and I were shooting Ariele Alasko’s studio, we peeked into Amelie’s space and begged her to let us shoot it, too. Amelie is painter and printmaker, originally from France. Less than a year ago, she began designing and printing her own baseball cards and founded Left Field Cards. (We wrote about her series back in December.) The cards are linocuts printed on a letterpress and sold by packs just like regular baseball cards. Each series has a funny theme: Bizarre Injuries — true tales of off-the-field scraps; Players with Food-Related Names, such as Darryl Strawberry; and Marvelous Moustaches. Amelie moved into the space with Ariele just a few months ago and transformed the raw loft into a homey place to work. She found that she decorates a studio exactly as she does her apartment — gravitating toward bright colors, thrifted furniture, handmade objects, weird baseball knickknacks and lots of plants. Her studio is a combination of those pieces she finds beautiful, like a rug or a chair; things that inspire, like old books or photos; and all that’s necessary for work and running a business, like paints, linoleum blocks, brushes, mailers, a computer and a scale. Thanks, Amelie! And thanks to Max Tielman for the lovely photos! — Amy Azzarito

Image above: This is where I sit and look at the painting I’m working on. I spend a lot of time staring at the canvas when I paint. The crate I found on the street in Brooklyn on a hot summer night years ago. It’s really beautiful and sturdy and holds my stash of fabrics and canvas. I got the chair from a neighbor who was moving to New Orleans. I reupholstered it with some African wax fabric I bought in France. The thrifted hairpin leg table has a mosaic top that depicts an Eskimo harpooning a seal. Those are some pretty serious mosaic skills if you ask me! I bought the Navajo rug in California for $15, and though it’s really worn and has lots of holes, it’s perfectly faded, and I love it.

Image above: I painted the walls black on one side of the room and white on the other. The white is just a  plain flat primer, and the black is Glidden Onyx in eggshell. To create a partition between my space and the one behind me, I built plywood shelves using old windows and hung hand-stamped curtains made of light muslin. I also built myself a big work table and a desk, all out of ply and two-by-fours. Super easy and fast.

See more of Amelie’s Brooklyn studio after the jump . . .

Image above: I get really attached to plants and even grow a little obsessive over their development and proper sprouting and budding and what not. I even have miniature gardening tools (a gift from Ariele).

Image above: These stamped boxes are my display boxes for retail. I print them myself with hand-carved rubber stamps. On the top shelf is a collection of old photographs I brought from France, a print I made of Gary Carter for a charity, and an ink drawing a friend’s grandmother did in the ’30s when she was in art school.

1. Vivian K says:

what a wonderful, open space and beautiful artwork!

2. This studio is so fantastic. I can only dream of having a work space this inspiring!

3. Kim Senn says:

Amazing work and an equally amazing space! I love seeing artists in their studios.
    My friend (and photographer), Thomas Kuoh, is working on a series of portraits of artists in their studios, I’ve been incredibly inspired by his work! http://kuoh.wordpress.com/

4. Emily says:

Wonderful! I love the blue and red chairs at the table. Where did you find those?

5. Tara says:

Funny to read you obsess over your plants, too! And you have an elephant bush…the one in the graniteware pot. I have been particularly obsessing over mine today. It’s in an old crock that I had to improvise drainage with. I’m thinking I should go your route and find a nice big enamel pot instead!

You have great style. Just lovely.

6. how2home says:

LOVE this! I’m a big fan of old tin cans as decor around home/studio. Great post!

7. cathy says:

I would love to have so much space, you are very lucky! I love the steel & tin pieces, I have several steel cabinets in my tiny studio spaces, they are tough and great for storage and keeping things organized.

8. Oh man, I’m simply jealous. Great space to work. I’m considering a nook in the basement, not the same! :\ Thank you for sharing and always fun to discover a new artist.

9. Jill Simpson says:

I’m a big fan of (and owner of some) Left Field cards! Fun to see Amelie’s space and learn more about her, thanks.

10. Love this studio and the pics! The studio is so personal with it’s collection of inspiring objects and vintage furniture, so unique to her! Exactly what a great interior should be.

11. Love it all! And I have that same Bremner Wafer tin!

12. lisa says:

it would be great to see DIY instructions on building the table! love it!

13. gail says:

amalie !

so wonderful to see your studio and paintings too !
    will send you some california succulents to add to your collection….

your personal vision is delightful !

gail

14. Kim says:

Inspiring studio! I especially like that mid century reupholstered chair. I have a studio behind my house so I’m always looking for new ideas.

15. Heather says:

Yum! Lovely eclectic space. How lovely it must be to work in such an open and light space?
    Heather

16. Natalie says:

Those rugs! Great mix of patterns throughout the workspace.

17. Amberly says:

Could that first photo be cooler?? I don’t think so! Love it all!

18. charlotte says:

Loving that black wall!

19. mary Lou says:

What a lovely and creative environment! I love my Gary Carter print! Thank You!

Mary Lou