in the kitchen with: yvette marquez-sharpnack’s salpicón

We featured a mango cheesecake flan from blogger and author of the Muy Bueno Cookbook, Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack, earlier this summer that was a hit with readers and at my home. I wanted Yvette to share an equally easy savory recipe from her repertoire. She offered Salpicón, a spicy Mexican shredded cold beef salad, which can be eaten on a bed of lettuce or on a corn flour tostada. In this recipe, Yvette suggests using store-bought versions, but if you want to make something similar on your own, you can use the easy tortilla recipe from the blackened shrimp tacos in our archives. This is a good recipe to bookmark if you entertain often because the brisket can be prepared a day ahead of time. If this food looks as fantastic to you as it does to me, you can find more recipes like these in Yvette’s cookbook, which is now available online and will be available in stores on October 1! — Kristina

About Yvette: Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack was born and raised in El Paso, Texas, and learned to cook from her mother and her grandmother, Jesusita Mendias-Soza, whose hospitality and irresistible Mexican recipes were legendary among family and friends. With her sister, Veronica, and mother, Evangelina, she started the Muy Bueno Cookbook blog to celebrate and preserve their family’s special culinary heritage.

Read Yvette’s recipe after the jump . . .

Salpicón (Spicy Mexican Shredded Cold Beef Salad)
Makes 6 to 8 servings

• pre-packaged tostada flats
  • 1 cup Oaxaca or Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
  • salsa of choice

Preparation

1. Place the brisket, bay leaves, beer, water, onion, and salt in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.

2. Remove the brisket and let cool. Shred the meat. Refrigerate the brisket.

3. To make the vinaigrette dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, red onion, chipotle chile, garlic, cilantro, and salt. Pour the vinaigrette dressing in with the shredded beef and stir to combine.

4. Spoon salpicón over lettuce leaves or tostadas and garnish with cheese, tomatoes, and avocado.

Note: You can make the brisket a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Why Yvette Loves This Recipe

I love this recipe especially during the summer, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying salpicón all year long. Serve it on a bed of pretty lettuce on a warm day, or for a heartier meal on a cold day, top salpicón on tostadas. This is also a great buffet dish because it can be made in advance and is served cold. The best way to describe this dish is cooked beef ceviche marinated in a tangy vinaigrette dressing that is packed with flavor and a little heat. Garnish with avocado, tomatoes, and cheese. Make any night a fiesta and serve salpicón!

1. alba garza says:

Yummy…its lunch time.

2. Hilda says:

I wish I could have one of these right now.

3. This looks so colorful and beautiful, and I bet it tastes as good as it looks. And mango cheesecake flan? Thanks for such AMAZING recipes! *Drooling*

4. KDCUK says:

This sounds just amazing – I love the idea of cooking the meat with beer. Think I’ll be making this for dinner!

John @KDCUK

5. I just love a colorful dish full of fresh vegetables! This looks just delicious!!

6. Maureen Johnson says:

I have a pile of tomatoes on my island and this looks like another great recipe to make using the last bit of summer! Yum! Yum…Thanks!

7. Alisha says:

Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you so much,
      However I am going through problems with your RSS. I don’t understand why I can’t subscribe to it.
      Is there anyone else having identical RSS issues? Anyone
      that knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!
      !

8. This is such a lovely and robust recipe! I love seeing anything MBC comes out with! All so inviting.

9. The Contessa says:

I’m making this for a lunch tomorrow. I can’t wait to get my copy of your cookbook!

10. Robin says:

Followed instructions exactly but my dressing came out red, thick and too sour. It was more of a salsa then a vinegarette . Not a fan and highly disappointed.