DIY Project: Stitched Wool Phone Case

by

I like perfect, but I’m a bigger fan of perfectly imperfect. The blanket-stitch is one of those imperfect things I’m ok with. It’s like the whittling of hand sewing. No fancy tools, no expensive machines. I liken it to my grandma’s embroidered tea towels combined with my Cub Scout sewing skills. Here’s a plan for your phone case, but you can easily adapt it to make a case for nearly any device. Measure up whatever needs a sweater and get sewing. — Matt

See the full how-to after the jump . . .

Materials

• small amount of Pendleton wool
  • embroidery thread

Tools

• knife
  • cutting mat
  • metal ruler
  • embroidery needle

Instructions

1. If you’re making a phone case, measure and cut a 5 3/4 inch square of the wool. If you’re using a heavily patterned piece of wool, decide where you want the pattern to lay in relation to your case. I chose a busier part of the material for mine.

2. Fold over and iron the top edge of your material. Fold enough so the overall height is now 5 1/8 inches tall. This will give the opening a clean edge, and because of the extra material at the top, it’ll squeeze your phone securely into the case.

3. Next, you’ll want to sew that rolled edge over. I just did a crooked hand stitch that would keep the inner edge from unraveling so the phone wouldn’t catch the edge. You can get as fancy as you want: clean rolled edge or crazy stitches. I kept it simple. After you finish that edge, trim the folded ends in a bit so they don’t bunch when you fold the piece in the next step.

4. Fold your piece in half and start stitching at the top opening. I looped a lot of stitch at the top to make sure that it was extra tough and wouldn’t put stress on the blanket-stitched edge. Loop the thread around about 5–7 times before starting your blanket-stitch. Without giving a full tutorial on blanket-stitching, there are several great tutorials out there. The clearest one that I refer back to most is here.

5. Once you continue to stitch around the corner and to the end, double stitch a couple passes before tying it off and tucking the thread inside.

Now you have it — a simple case for your phone. This method is easily adaptable on any other device, tools, beer cans or maybe pets?

1. Jee says:

Adorable. The stitching gives it character!

2. Adorable! And I love the fabric to bits!

3. Jen O says:

Great idea! What was your source for the Pendleton fabric piece?

4. Catherine says:

pets. definitely pets. ;) awesome.

5. Mariana says:

So pretty!!
    I really like how it turned out.
    And this Pendleton wool fabric is so beautiful.

This sure is the right phone case for fall and winter! ;)

6. Steph says:

Lovely … Handmade is great. Must make time for this!

7. Christine says:

Agreed! Where did you purchase your fabric from?

8. Matt says:

@Jen O and @Christine – I get end cuts from Pendleton Mill End store in Milwauke Oregon. If you ever get a chance to go, it’s great.

9. Diana says:

It’s cute, but no wool for me. Too itchy.

10. Because the world is full of crazy coincidences, I was futzing around this afternoon with a scrap of herringbone wool fabric, trying to construct a simple case for my laptop. And behold, the perfect how-to appears. Thank you Matt!

11. Helen says:

This is a great idea cant wait to try it myself!