Before & After: Recycled Slate + Branch Table

I used to gravitate toward mid-century furniture, and would have happily filled my home with all those smooth, sleek curves and rounded corners. Now my tastes have changed, and while I still fancy a good mid-century shape here and there, lately I just want to fill my home with raw, natural pieces taken straight from the source. It sounds crazy, I know, but I literally want to decorate my home with rocks and stumps — and cushions, to prevent injury. I don’t know if this elfin phase will pass, but there was no better time for me to see this slate and branch table from Kim Fisher. I fell instantly in love with the idea.

Kim is an event designer, and finding unusual and inventive solutions is part of her trade. The top is actually a chunk of slate from an old pool table. I pass slate slabs like these at salvage yards frequently, and I am kicking myself for never thinking to use them in this manner. The whole project took less than a day and cost nothing, although it should be noted that coming across such magnificent fallen branches doesn’t happen every day. The result is so elegant, especially with the addition of Kim’s lovely organic styling. I’m definitely filing this away in my great ideas folder, and I’m making the case here and now: Rivendell chic, the next big thing. :) — Kate

Read the full post after the jump . . .

Time: 1 day

Cost: free! (all materials salvaged)

Basic Steps: Since we’re an event design company, we’re constantly looking for interesting and economical projects. When faced with this old tree trunk, we decided to attempt a table instead of cutting it down for small uses. The slate comes from an old pool table my husband salvaged; if you look closely, you can see an outline of a ball pocket.

The prints are pressed algae that my biologist daughter-in-law makes, and the DIY “antlers” are left over Manzanita branches that we thought looked great with the table legs. The vase is from Blue Hand Home here in Wilmington. The flowers, plants, and glass cloches are ours.

My husband spent a good day sanding the trunk legs so they would stand, then he attached a piece of wood that was similar to the shape of the slate: this anchors the trunk and the slate. Slate can also be very sharp, so he sanded the edges down a bit. — Kim

1. Rivendell Chic! Love it. I would love to live in Rivendell =).

2. Kelly says:

I am in love with this table! I definitely have to make one. This is going in my file folder as well

3. Vanessa says:

That is very cool. How is it attached?

4. cassandra says:

WHAT. That’s awesome. Looks like I’m going hiking.

5. Catherine says:

Wow! That is amazing looking!

6. Ann says:

I am in awe of this piece, I have such a collection of wood and driftwood and I have tried projects like this and it is so tough to get them level and I end up using them as raw decoration, but maybe I will try again.

7. Mandy says:

Looks like a crepe myrtle branch..

8. Thinking of Lord of the Rings, the Ent(?) trees that were walking around! Very creative:)

9. Taia says:

Hey! I know that shape! That branch is the top of a crepe myrtle tree that has been trimmed back every year. These are all over where I live, maybe I can snag one too!

10. Cheyenne says:

That table is AMAZING. Seriously. I need one.

11. Dotty love says:

Oh, lovely, like a fairytale!

12. Wow! That looks amazing! I am sure that would be so expensive if you were to buy that at a store! LOVE

13. elle says:

Very cool; totally organic and dynamic design. Love this idea.

14. Arielle Leipham says:

WOAH. INCREDIBLE. Brilliant idea.

15. This recycled table is so absorbing!Thanks for your desgin.

16. Kim Fisher says:

Thanks Kate at Design Sponge- this was a real treat to see this morning, you made my week! Thanks also to Theo Milo Photography for capturing the images- you make always make my work look so beautiful.

17. This is just amazing. Left me speechless.

18. Is the top attached in any way or just the weight of the slate? I love the natural elements together – like a piece of art.

19. Amazing work! It is even free and eco-friendly. Plus all the displays creates a gorgeous earthy spot. I love it:)

20. Jen says:

Beautiful and so inventive!! Ditto to what Connie said above: it’s a piece of art!

21. Beth M. Downs says:

This is gorgeous! What an incredible upcycle!

22. Samuel Weith says:

Wow! I’d never thought that that could be done. It is amazing. With that, no branch would ever go to waste. It is very economical and the end product is pretty useful.

23. Mary Wilcher says:

That branch looks like it comes from a crape myrtle. Very nice DIY!!

24. Amber says:

Wow… This is a terrific idea! We have a ton of random pieces from previous DIY projects….