Before & After: Bathroom Makeover

In all our years of posting Before & Afters, I don’t think I’ve ever come across this many flowers in one room. The bathtub has flowers on it!! Yikes. Luckily, the owner of this late 1800s Victorian farmhouse, April Cochran-Smith, is a photographer and designer with a great eye for contrasts, color and drama. She’s made a lot of smart decisions in this room: The fresh white walls and tiled floor bounce tons of light around the room, while the bright but not overly primary hues of the tub, artwork and vanity provide a cheerful pop of color. Apparently, this bathroom was a work in progress, as April needed time to settle into decisions and swap out things she changed her mind on. Looking at the before, I can’t blame her for needing time to see the completed vision, but all that work and patience certainly paid off. — Kate

See the full post after the jump . . .

Time: 2 weeks (plus a couple years of decision making)

Cost: $1600 (includes paint and the cost to have the floor redone)

Basic Steps: Obviously the first step was to remove all of the wallpaper, including the border on the tub. Luckily, the previous owners had primed before they applied the wallpaper, so it wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been. Still, I’m ok with never having to remove wallpaper again in my lifetime. Once that was complete, we removed the floral carpet and had white hexagon tiles installed. Then we painted the walls and trim, along with the bathtub and vanity. New handles were added to the vanity as well as new fixtures (towel holders, toilet paper holder). We removed the vanity lights and the plain box ceiling lights and added a chandelier that had been in a different room. I couldn’t find any vanity lighting I loved that wouldn’t require major renovation to the wiring, so I decided to forgo it. This is just basically a guest/kid bathroom, so it’s not a big loss.

My advice would be not to rush into anything. It’s better to live with the room a little and get a feel for what you really want to see there, as well as what you think will work. Also, don’t be afraid to change something if it’s not working. Remember that nothing’s permanent and to have fun with it all! — April

Sources
Paint: Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore (walls), Citrus Splash by Behr (bathtub), Zephyr by Benjamin Moore (vanity — although I don’t recommend it for this purpose; it’s actually peeling off on top, so we’ll be replacing the vanity soon with a simple porcelain design)
Curtains: Urban Outfitters
Camera artwork: Fab
Vanity pulls: Target

1. A Day in May says:

Wow, what a transformation! This bathroom went from almost hurting your eyes to a beautiful, simplicistic, bright space. Especially love the kitchen sink. Well done!

2. C. Savage says:

Gorgeous! What a HUGE improvement!!!

3. Beautiful transformation! I, too, love the fact that you kept the old tub and high-tank toilet. They give this bathroom a character that you just couldn’t replicate with modern fixtures.

4. anna says:

Beautiful job! I love that so much of the original stuff was transformed and used and looks so good! Although that ornate sink is not my style, it looks really great with everything and maybe keeping the vanity top the original wood would have looked really nice and allowed it to be saved. Also, REALLY love the use of that yellow.

5. Barbara says:

Nice! (If it were mine, though, I’d have the tub was the color of the sink cabinet)

6. Sue says:

I LOVE this makeover such a great improvement over what was before. But the color is off and the the pictures aren’t the right size. Other wise it is really nice. There is just way too much white and the bold colors cover too tiny an area.

7. Matthew says:

Like everyone else – love the change.
    There something in your description of the job that baffled me. Why would you lay the tile first and then paint? Wouldn’t it have been easier to paint everything and then lay the tile? Much easier on cleanup…no one paints without spillage of some kind.
    My personal take would be to add more primary colors, but you love it and that’s all that counts!

8. Txell says:

I really like the new feeling of this bathroom ! But , to be honest, I couldn’t have lived with the old look even for a month !!

Some weeks ago, I makeover my bedroom … very low budget and few things, but It migh be interesting to be shown here !

9. sasa says:

how is the after better than the before?

10. lola says:

El mejor cambio que vi en mucho tiempo, excelente gusto, ME ENCANTO, saludos Lola de Argentina

11. Thriftables says:

I’m know that I’m probably the minority here, but I kind of love the original wallpaper. Would have liked to have seen a modern twist on the bathroom keeping the wallpaper.