weekly wrap up + a midsummer night’s dinner party

It’s rainy and gray in Brooklyn today, so I’m letting my mind wander to this beautiful party thrown by graphic designer Michelle Min. Michelle’s boyfriend, Christopher, recently moved to a beautiful cottage in Woodside, California, that has a deck overlooking a stream. Inspired by the locale and sunny summer weather, Michelle and Christopher decided to throw a Midsummer Night’s Dinner Party for their friends.

Inspired by outdoor moving screenings, Michelle and Christopher hung a bed sheet to project movies on and paired the film with a delicious menu of paella, gazpacho and all sorts of snacks. Moscow Mules and popcorn were served as well as one of the couple’s favorites: stir-fried kimchi grilled cheese sandwiches. I’m dying to try one of those — and to be at this dinner party in general — so I’m glad Michelle shared these photos with us so we could live vicariously through the big night. If the rain ever lets up, I’ll have to see if I can do a mini version of this party in our office. We’ve got the string lights, we just need a projector . . . Thanks to Michelle and Christopher for sharing their night with us.

I’m off for the weekend. I hope you all have a wonderful break, and I’ll see you on Monday. xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

More photos of the dinner party continue after the jump!

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. Keely says:

What a dreamy party, wish I could go there right now! I love the type design and photography, so beautiful!

2. Megan says:

I’d love to know how they strung the lights. I’ve bought some myself and have been baffled at the best / easiest way to string them around my yard.

3. Beautifully done. Like Keely said, the photography is very nice, and the whole setup and amazing. I would like to do some outdoor lights in my back yard.

4. Just this past weekend I threw a summer BBQ with my husband. We went for an early 60s theme complete with retro drink mixers and decor. We often do backyard double features as we call them and show classic films. We have a LCD projector and a king size sheet with grommets in it that we hang from the gutter and it drapes nicely covering the side of our house. This weekend at our BBQ we showed “Vertigo”, and a 1950s B monster movie ” Them.” While the movie was on and all of our friends comfy with a drink we made popcorn on our fire pit in our large cast iron kettle. It was delicious and a fun way to spend the evening! Our guests loved it!

5. Amanda says:

Gorgeous! I would love to throw a party like this! It looks so relaxing!

P.S. I haven’t visited your blog in some time and I LOVE the redesign! It looks amazing!

6. My dream is to do something like this…but I would do a silent film and hire an organist to provide the music. To me that would be ultimate romantic event…somehow I have it in my mind to do this around a pool (pre-film events include swimming, of course) either I’m going to live in the South or the West where this kind of event would be easier to pull off as opposed to oft cold North.

7. Jin says:

Wow it looks amazing. Perfect summer party look.

8. Christina says:

Love the name, love the kettlecorn, love the spread! I need to do this stat. So pretty.

9. Fashion-isha says:

This is a real dream of a party! I did one like this in the beginning of the summer. The only problem is keeping the mosquitos away!

10. elaine says:

What font is that? It’s so dreamy!

11. ZOUi says:

beautiful and eye catching! thanks for posting this article :)

12. J says:

obviously sponsored by Gerolsteiner.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Not, it’s not. If a post is sponsored, it will be marked as such.

13. Terri says:

I love the idea of using a bed sheet to show a movie outdoors. How fun! I miss the days of drive up movie theaters and it’s so nice to be able to continue the party outside this way instead of everyone piling into the living room on a nice summer evening.

14. Nicole says:

I loved this! I love twinkle lights and anything, especially parties!

15. katie says:

absolutely lovely! add me to the list of folks who would love to know the font.

16. Sofia says:

Beautiful! Reminds me a lot of the Crayfish Party tradition they have every August in Sweden.

17. Michelle says:

Font response:
    The script font is La Portenia de la Boca
    The san-serif font is Alte Haas Grotesk

Thank you so much for enjoying our little midsummer night’s dinner with us ^-^

18. Alyssa says:

Great outdoor party inspiration! Love the Kettle Corn bags! :)

19. Phoebe says:

I love this post, what a beautiful little party! :) And how serendipitous, I just saw this on AT:

Makes me want a little movie shindig of my own. :)

20. Kief says:

Love the “Drink” pitcher! Where’s that from?

21. Brooke says:

LOVE it Michelle! I can’t wait for you to help me design my next party!