sneak peek: lauren moffatt

After living on a 31-foot sailboat on the Hudson River for five years, fashion designer Lauren Moffatt made the move to a small one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan. At the time, the concept of indoor plumbing alone was enough to turn her into a land lover! Twelve years later, with a husband, a child and another on the way, that one-bedroom apartment began to feel a little cramped. So the couple purchased the apartment below theirs and transformed the space into a three-bedroom home. The additional space allowed them to spread out and gave Lauren the opportunity to decorate without being as practical as one must be in a tiny space. For example, the staircase walls were designed to house some of her more random collections. To create a feeling of openness, they replaced the solid walls with glass casement doors, and the once empty kitchen that had been used as a guest room was turned back into a working kitchen. Thanks, Lauren! And a big thank you to Alice Gao for the lovely photographs! — Amy Azzarito

Image above: This Jean Pelle Bubble Chandelier was the first thing I bought when we renovated the apartment. I love the airy, delicate feel.

Image above: The bureau is one of a three-piece set that I bought at a thrift store in Philly for $150 total. The painting, which I spruced up a bit, was a $5 find from the Bed-Sty Salvation Army. (White Dove Benjamin Moore wall paint.)

See more of Lauren’s New York City apartment after the jump . . .

Image above: I lived in the apartment for more than five years without a kitchen. I used the room as a guest room. When my boyfriend moved in, we decided it would be more fun to cook for friends than to have them stay over.

Image above: I found this Eames chair in the trash on my way home from work last year. My nephew and I carried it home and put it in this corner, and it’s been there ever since. The wall was built by a boat builder/metalworker friend.

Image above: When we combined our apartment with the unit below, we were finally able to spread out a bit and display things I’d been collecting for years. The animal trophy heads are from DFC Mexico City.

Image above: My mom’s antique bureau, which she graciously gave me to help compensate for my lack of closet space.

Image above: Ironically, my husband’s very spacious closet.

Image above: Pics of the Grands and a place for my bags.

Image above: I made all the curtains in my apartment out of fabric from past collections. These are Spring 2008.

Image above: One of two twin beds in the guest room.

Image above: We used utilitarian outdoor hose handles for our bathroom sink. I love the unfussy, functional look.

Image above: The sink vanity is another Paul McCobb piece from the $150 set of three. Since I only paid $50 for it, I could justify cutting the hole in the top!

Image above: My Sum Design wallpaper in Green Floral Femme Fatale.

Image above: The bookends under the little table between the windows are Miller Goodman building blocks.

1. jodi says:

what a beautiful space!

2. nicole says:

I love how NY this is – mostly found objects and discarded repurposed things that work perfectly – I bet the previous owners of everything are having an ugly stepsister moment (or they should!!!)

3. Stunning. I love every.single.thing. Really! It’s amazing ;)

4. Courtney says:

I love the outdoor details on your bathroom sink! And your bedspread. And the guest room. And everything else. In every photo, something totally unexpected caught my eye yet the whole space feels totally cohesive. Amazing.

5. Sara Leete says:

I have that Jean Pelle fixture and love it! It looks great in that room…..this apartment is adorable and looks perfect for a home! Love the use of colors!

6. My favorite sneak peek EVER! I love how accessible the furnishings are – and especially how old and new are juxtaposed in a completely fresh and modern way. LOVE!!!

7. Anna D. says:

She is super lucky to have found all those pieces [esp. the eames chair – trash find whaaaaat!?!!] they all look so well together! And I love how effortless homes can be without breaking the bank [even for popular fashion designers =)]

8. Kristen says:

Hi, I was wondering where the child’s bed is from? Is there a source for it? Thanks!

9. maria says:

We used to live on a sailboat as well, and are trying to get our first real “big” space on land organized — thank you for the glimpse into your beautiful home and the shot of inspiration, Lauren!

10. Donald says:

Cutest staircase ever.

11. Linsey says:

Where is the throw on your bed from (is it a kilim?)

12. Amberly says:

I absolutely love your taste in furniture! That bureau from your mom is so beautiful! Wonderful home, thank you for sharing!

13. margarita says:

a master class in decoration love the bathroom

14. Azil says:

Every room has something interesting to look at!! Love the iron/glass door, the dining chairs and paintings throughout. Total envious over the Eames chair. Like the toddler bed and nailed-headboard…perfect closet to store the hubbies shoe collection. The hole-punch wall in the bathroom (the one holding the glass door) breaks up the subway tile a bit, adds so much interest and ties all the design elements together. That, plus the diamond design (stencil work?) on the partition wall in the bedroom were my two favorite things to see. It’s amazing how using a simple design on something small makes a huge impact in the whole room, very nicely done!!

15. Peta says:

What an amazing space!!

16. kyra says:

I feel like I need to know more about this “no kitchen” business. Like were there no appliances in there either? What did you eat/how did you keep food in the house? I just can’t seem to wrap my poor little head around a home with no kitchen, even in NY!

Beautiful space, and indeed lots of inspiration!

17. I love this light filled uncluttered space. The wood floors and white walls all the way through make for wonderful continuity from room to room.

18. Elizabeth says:

Are all the paintings from thrift stores? Because I LOVE them. I am especially thinking about the one in the first photo.
    Love the place.

19. So much to like here: the light, that herringbone floor, that stairwell and the kiddo bed in the master bedroom.

20. JillBetty says:

What a fun place! So beautiful and light-filled. After a boat, it must feel huge. And a great selection of colors for a young family.

21. Ash says:

lovely photos from alice, as usual :)

22. rebecca says:

LOVE. IT.

23. rebecca says:

LOVE… IT… ALL!!!

24. Eeeee! Everything is just fantastic!! So hard to choose a fave spot. I’d love to know what the “soundtrack” to the apt is/would be. :)

LOVE it!
    xo Jenny Holiday

25. Aislinn says:

so beautiful! I want it!

26. Carrie says:

Now this is true creativity! I love this apartment, all the color, the patina, the parquet, the timeless updates…thanks for sharing.

27. GND says:

Why can’t I find an Eames chair in the trash? Absolutely lovely!

28. Angela says:

I would love to know about the fan in your living room!

29. joanne says:

this makes my stomach ache with jealousy! what a gorgeous home!

30. rinna says:

well i know the toddler bed is Oeuf..but where is the throw on the master bed from? that is well nice :-)

31. yomaira f. says:

We LOVE Lauren Moffatt at our shop! Her pieces often sell out to the piece! Thanks so much for the sneak peek into her lovely abode!

32. Jen says:

beautiful! I agree with Elizabeth about the art, that first painting in the top image is just wonderful. I especially love the white tiles and teal/green touches in the kitchen! Thanks for sharing!

33. Jen says:

Oh and also I might not show my boyfriend that picture of your partners wardrobe and all those colourful shoes! He will be crazy jealous.

34. Maya says:

I adore the shower-floor tiles, what a treat it must be to bathe in there! Do you remember where you got those from by any chance?

35. ▲▲▲ Beautiful creative place,love that! ▲▲▲

36. meg says:

It feels so fresh! Love everything, especially the art.

37. Alyce says:

This is absolutely gorgeous and so inspiring. I love her patience in curating the space instead of picking things out off a showroom floor. just lovely.

38. Carla says:

Lauren! I love your home but am OBSESSED with your clothing!

I was just on a photoshoot with Daymion Mardel and he saw I had pinned a bunch of images from your site (which he coincidentally shot!)… he said you are a great friend of his. Small world :)

Anyway, awesome job on your place!

39. Marie says:

Such a great place! Do you happen to know whom the chairs in the dining room are from? I have quite similar ones in my appartment and am still looking for the designer.

40. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi everyone –
    I just heard back from Lauren with some sources:

The kid’s bed is Oeuf. It was walnut and white wood, which she painted cream and red.
    Bedding is John Robshaw + her husband’s grandmother’s quilt.
    Vintage quilt on master bed is a kilim.
    Shower floor tiles are from home depot
    Dining room chairs are Alan Gould Compass chairs
    Thank you!
    Amy A

41. Whitney says:

Beautiful, beautiful place! Where is that leather couch from?? I’ve been looking for one just like it but haven’t had any luck yet….

42. Kate says:

I love the symMetry and colour you have created. I could live in your house!

43. Rhonda says:

what great pics! EVERYTHING looks fantastic!

44. Lovely lovely home… & who puts an Eames chair in the trash? An EAMES! What a great find though and it now has the home it deserves…

45. Megan says:

Everything is gorgeous—I absolutely love those simple handmade shades from your collection though!

46. These spaces are amazing. I love the use of wood grain especially. Its such a subtle way to change up a material and define a new space!

Love, Form and Fashion

47. Hi! Love the space, and especially the fan in the living room – It’s so rough finding non-ugly ceiling fans!
    Do you have a source for the fan?

Thanks!

48. Ali says:

I’ve always loved Lauren Moffat’s work, but her casual approach to curating her living space with found objects rather than buying lots of expensive furniture and decor makes me love her even more!

49. Shannon says:

Absolutely beautiful! Such amazing inspiration! My husband and I just bought a new apt and I would LOVE to do a similar glass/iron wall. I know your friend made it…would he ever be interested in making another??? It’s perfect for our new space…please advise!

50. jane says: