sneak peek: lauren moffatt

After living on a 31-foot sailboat on the Hudson River for five years, fashion designer Lauren Moffatt made the move to a small one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan. At the time, the concept of indoor plumbing alone was enough to turn her into a land lover! Twelve years later, with a husband, a child and another on the way, that one-bedroom apartment began to feel a little cramped. So the couple purchased the apartment below theirs and transformed the space into a three-bedroom home. The additional space allowed them to spread out and gave Lauren the opportunity to decorate without being as practical as one must be in a tiny space. For example, the staircase walls were designed to house some of her more random collections. To create a feeling of openness, they replaced the solid walls with glass casement doors, and the once empty kitchen that had been used as a guest room was turned back into a working kitchen. Thanks, Lauren! And a big thank you to Alice Gao for the lovely photographs! — Amy Azzarito

Image above: This Jean Pelle Bubble Chandelier was the first thing I bought when we renovated the apartment. I love the airy, delicate feel.

Image above: The bureau is one of a three-piece set that I bought at a thrift store in Philly for $150 total. The painting, which I spruced up a bit, was a $5 find from the Bed-Sty Salvation Army. (White Dove Benjamin Moore wall paint.)

See more of Lauren’s New York City apartment after the jump . . .

Image above: I lived in the apartment for more than five years without a kitchen. I used the room as a guest room. When my boyfriend moved in, we decided it would be more fun to cook for friends than to have them stay over.

Image above: I found this Eames chair in the trash on my way home from work last year. My nephew and I carried it home and put it in this corner, and it’s been there ever since. The wall was built by a boat builder/metalworker friend.

Image above: When we combined our apartment with the unit below, we were finally able to spread out a bit and display things I’d been collecting for years. The animal trophy heads are from DFC Mexico City.

Image above: My mom’s antique bureau, which she graciously gave me to help compensate for my lack of closet space.

Image above: Ironically, my husband’s very spacious closet.

Image above: Pics of the Grands and a place for my bags.

Image above: I made all the curtains in my apartment out of fabric from past collections. These are Spring 2008.

Image above: One of two twin beds in the guest room.

Image above: We used utilitarian outdoor hose handles for our bathroom sink. I love the unfussy, functional look.

Image above: The sink vanity is another Paul McCobb piece from the $150 set of three. Since I only paid $50 for it, I could justify cutting the hole in the top!

Image above: My Sum Design wallpaper in Green Floral Femme Fatale.

Image above: The bookends under the little table between the windows are Miller Goodman building blocks.

1. HPB says:

Sorry to bother with more sources but would love to know where the Master Bed is from. The simple shape with the nailheads is exactly what I’ve been looking for.

2. ana lemaitre says:

beautiful home! Nice vintage touch!

3. laura s says:

Love! Such a great combo of old and new and quintessential NYC. :-)

4. Mat says:

Well Done! Love the color balance , great integration of the mid-century classic look with the ultra modern stainless steel kitchen, warm wooden floors and love the art!!

5. Gale says:

I love every little detail about this apartment! the floor lamp in the living room, the bureau outside of the kitchen, bedspread in master bedroom, literally everything. Thank you for sharing!

6. Kim says:

Love. Love. Love. Too many things to list that I Love.

7. Anna says:

Can I move in please?? So lovely and and an inspiration. Where is the ceiling fan from? I have been looking for a vintage style one, and can’t seem to find one anywhere!! Thanks.

8. Aisha says:

Absolutely agree with every other comments on this post. I lurve this place. Have been hunting high and low for a dining table like the one they have. I can’t seem to find it anywhere in Switzerland :(

9. Maureen Johnson says:

Very creative….I’m asking the same thing as Shannon….We have a library that is off the spacious living room and we are looking for the same industrial steel and small door to close it off. I have solicited a few, one just moved from NY to CA, so he went by the way side, another was commercial and would have cost $10k, way out of budget….I designed your exact wall on paper a few years back when searching. I have yet to find someone to quote. I will even drive to NY! I’m in CT and not far from NY! Please! Please share your friend….the talented metal worker! I can order the glass here and we can install it! Just need someone to make it! ;o)

10. Hi Everyone, Tracy from Lauren Moffatt with some more answers to your questions:
    ceiling fan – inexpensive buy from home depot, then painted
    master bed frame – west elm
    sofa – room & board
    living room wall was done by John Farrell. He’s amazing! contact him here:

11. Lauren says:

Hi everyone, to answer some more of the questions:
    The ceiling fan is an inexpensive one I bought from Home Depot. I painted it black when I got home.
    The bed frame is from West Elm. He wanted something soft and welcoming, so we compromised with this headboard embellished with nailheads.
    The sofa is from Room & Board and has served our family well. Leather is very forgiving of a 4 year old.
    The living room wall was done by John Farrell. He’s an amazing welder / artist! You can contact him here:

xx LM

12. Tiffany says:

Can’t believe that Eames chair was found in the trash! What a score, and an extremely lovely home.

13. Amanda says:

I remember the sail boat, where you gave me my first LM dress. I remember the summers we spent on various boats. I remember how excited you were to finally have your real apartment! Hot plate and all…. so proud and happy for you guys. The place is amazing. Hope to see you soon ♡