paper neighborhood

I grew up with a dad who was always doodling architectural structures on napkins and the sides of notepads. So whenever I see tiny buildings on paper, my heart fills with happiness. This clever little stamp set is the newest venture from The Steam Whistle Press in Cincinnati. “Paper Neighborhood” is a set of 21 rubber stamps, each depicting a different element of Italianate architecture. Using the basic elements, you can recreate your favorite buildings using just the stamps and ink. Each kit comes with stamps, a stamp pad and a tip sheet packaged in a 1 qt. paint can with a letterpressed label. I think the concept is adorable and would be so fun for anyone who likes to daydream about being an architect or just wants to play around with reproducing local architecture. Steam Whistle Press just put the series into production, so if you’d like to pick up a set when they’re ready, just click here to contact the team and get more info. Thanks, Brian (aka the Chair of the Cincinnati Society of Rubber Architects). xo, grace

1. blair says:

i had a similar set as a kid. the metropolitan museum of art “fun w/ architecture” by david eisen. wonder if my mum still has it sitting around our family home.

2. stephanie says:

very cool. i am in columbus, just up 71

3. Kath says:

I *thought* that looked like a Cincinnati building! Oh, this is just lovely, and the little brick-pattern stamp is so sweet.

4. cathy says:

What a great idea!

5. Rachel says:

Steam Whistle is right down the street from my apartment! They also make fantastic posters, birthday cards and handmade invitations! Love that they are getting recognized by D*S

6. this is all sorts of awesome

7. KeLLy aNN says:

My Dad used to make balsa wood scale models. I still have my verra first Art Scar from when He let me try out the x~acto knife. I promptly sliced my finger open. I do miss him much, but still have that love of Balsa Wood and X~actos!

8. Oh man, I love these. I would have fallen head-over-heels for these as a kid.

9. christa says:

these are so great! and a fantastic gift for any child with an imagination. I imagine a play date going and looking at old buildings then trying to recreate them!

10. paige @ LPD says:

I was like, man those would work so well for Cincinnati! Love my city!

11. Sasa says:

What a nice idea for a present :)

12. I would have loved these as a kid! Awesome idea!

13. Megan says:

Ooh I want these! I can totally see myself sitting and building for hours.