la petite headquarters

I love seeing how small spaces can be transformed into beautiful new homes for businesses. I was completely overwhelmed when trying to decorate our first-ever D*S office this spring, so I’m majorly jealous of the team at La Petite, an online kids’ magazine, who got to work with designer Kirsten Grove on their new space. Kirsten’s cousin, Rachelle Francey, is the editor of La Petite and wanted some help creating a space in her home that would work well for meetings and the everyday tasks associated with running an online magazine. So Kirsten went to work transforming Rachelle’s front sitting room into the official La Petite headquarters.

I think the colorful ceiling is my favorite part of this project. Kirsten used a salmon-colored paint called Freckles (Valspar) that works well with the existing metallic wallpaper. The project called on some more family members, like Kirsten’s father-in-law, who created the workspace table and bench. For one final bit of color, Kirsten dipped each of the office chair legs in a minty green paint. Additional accessories came from Normann Copenhagen, Ferm Living, Target, West Elm, A + R Store and Ikea. The final result is a space that’s great for working but also blends well into a modern home. Congrats to Kirsten and Rachelle on the beautiful new space. xo, grace

All photographs by Joyce Alexander

1. Love the wallpaper and would love to know where it is from! Hadn’t thought of using wallpaper in our new office space in Brooklyn but it might warm up my little corner office! Love those wall planters too!

2. As someone with a home office-based business this is seriously inspiring! I never would have thought of a blush-colored ceiling but it really gives the space a nice warm glow. Love. Would also like to know the deets on the metallic wallpaper; adds a subtle touch of glam.

3. What a fun, warm, grown up – girly space. I love the wall paper too!

4. Darlene says:

Such simple changes for a huge impact! Love the subtle use of color.

5. cheyenne says:

that’s a lovely space, i wouldn’t mind working there!
    i love the wallpaper and paint color.
    xo, cheyenne

6. Heather says:

Beautiful space! Where are the wall planters from?

7. Samira says:

love the color!!! beautiful room!

8. Rachelle says:

Kelsea, the wallpaper is from Graham & Brown, and it is the Darcy-White & Silver Wallpaper:
    Heather the planters are from West Elm!

9. Robin says:

Beautiful! And I love La Petite magazine. It’s so inspiring!

10. marie-laure says:

I LOVE IT, simple and so elegant

11. Oana says:

I love the office chairs!! where are they from?

12. Jeanelle says:

love the wood table, where is it from?

13. such an inspiring space! I had the pleasure of meeting Kirsten and Rachelle at Alt design summit and love seeing them in their own creative space!

14. Rachelle says:

Oana, the chairs are from Overstock. :)

Jeanelle, the table was handmade by Kirsten’s father-in-law, who I am sure you could contact Kirsten if you wanted more info on it.

15. Jeanelle says:

also the chairs, where are they from?

16. Abbie says:

LOVE!!! The coral color on the ceiling is so un expected and beautiful. I also love the mix of furniture in there. The Kaj Franck Bowl is a fun touch too…

17. This is AWESOME! I also have a home office space and now I want to REALLY spice mine up a bit! I just met Rachelle at Playtime NYC this week- SHE IS AWESOME!

18. Julie K says:

have the same vintage enamel bowl and I LOVE seeing it smiling here at me. love love the space.

19. Leila says:

Where is the light fitting from? I love it!

20. Melissa says:

What a gorgeous space. I would love to work in here. Super cute love heart bowl too. Or is it a cup?

21. Debbie says:

I am a heart freak, love that bowl! Where’s it from?

22. Ania says:

Well I’m in love with the teapot! Maybe we need a list of where everything came from..

23. Jeanelle says:

thanks Rachelle, she has one talented papa :)

24. Rachelle says:

Leila, the light is from Yliving and it is the Norman Copenhagen Hang Lamp:

Debbie, the Kaj Franck Bowl I got at a local vintage shop. :)

Ania, the teapot is from a local vintage shop.

25. Jeanelle, My father in law is crazy talented so if you need any wood working done, let me know! He’s super reasonable too!

26. Jennifer says:

Such a lovely, inspiring space to work in! Beautiful table. Now I’m in the mood to paint a ceiling…:)